• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear engine buggy/axle tech?

Rockwells607

so I put a hp 60 and sterling 10.25 in a rear engine buggy for a guy, get it almost done and realize it goes forward in reverse and reverse in forward, so here's where im at...take axles back out, flip them over cut everything off and reweld on, cut c's off the front and re weld em on...the front axle can be passenger or driver drop cuz the driveshaft is centered in the chassis on the tcase end....is there anything else im overlooking with the oiling system on the low pinion sterling? That will now be in the high pinion configuration and im not sure if the pinion will get lubed? Any thoughts or info?

Re: Re: rear engine buggy/axle tech?

U dident realize the problem til after u had them in?:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

I've done a fair amount of reading on this (I'm sure you have too) because I think i really want to build a rear engine setup next.. I've searched a lot on pirate and inner webs and i'm surprised how little info there is on this

From what I can gather most all the semi-budget (read non-KOH) guys are just running flipped diffs and not having oiling issues. Theres a build on pirate called "4 locked films rear engine buggy" and he wrote a little about how he planned to do some oiling mods to the 60 and 70 he flipped but after a couple of years of not getting around to it didn't see any damage to the gears or bearings and just kept on running it.

Post up some pics of this badmammajamma?

I guess since your posting up these questions you haven't been able to find much more info than I have.. If anyone knows of a good source of info on this subject I'd appreciate the **** out of it lol

Im thinkin that the oiling will be fine since its not running high way speeds for hours...and ya it sucks that im working backwards now on this project but I guess you will have that when ya bite off something completly different than the normal relm of things

Turn the seat around thumb.gif

Google up "oil slingers" for attaching on the pinion shaft to throw oil up at the pinion bearing. You can also overfill the diffs a bit to get the oil level up to that bearing. But think of the rear axle when you are pointed up a climb there wont be oil anywhere near it. Sythetic is good back there. Just food for thought.

My current build is mid-engine, and I am going through all hell on oiling that pinion bearing. Trying to mod a MarkWilliams oilpump to feed up there. Problem is MW designed it to mount down submerged in the bottom of the diff but upside down its now at the top.....

I did restriction plates in the factory oil passages and have had no issues in three years.

EOR MFG said:
I did restriction plates in the factory oil passages and have had no issues in three years.

what axles are you running? do you have a build thread somewhere?

thanks for sharing the info guys..

i just finished flippin the rear axle and welding the truss back on, got it all back in the buggy, it looks like like the oil level on the pinion will be fine cuz the oil fill is about even with the middle of the pinion, however its gonna hold a **** ton of oil lol, now i gotta move to the front axle wich is gonna be a little more tricky

is it posssible to change the direction of a motor? if there was no dist. just coil on plug? could you have custom ground cams made and change timing and computer shiznit and make the starter spin the other way? just curious, not suggesting this..

wannabe said:
is it posssible to change the direction of a motor? if there was no dist. just coil on plug? could you have custom ground cams made and change timing and computer shiznit and make the starter spin the other way? just curious, not suggesting this..

Absolutely it's possible, some marine engines are reverse rotation.

1993toy said:
Absolutely it's possible, some marine engines are reverse rotation.

But then you have tranny trouble as they dont really like spun backwards, vs. a marine gearbox that doesnt care.

This little buggy is for a customer and on a budget, there some good ideas on here but flippin the axles fit the bill, thanks for all the input...theres some interesting ideas here for future builds, i really like the 2 rear engine smith buggies ive seen...