• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear engine buggy??

I have a full body Jeep and rear engine buggy as well. I have never had a front engine buggy so I can only compare the two.

Pros of a rear engine are.
Better handling at speed, front visibility, all the heat is behind the driver (great for summer in the south), does not nose dive as bad when jumping.

Cons
Does not seem to climb ledges as well. Customer offset axle housings, shafts. Having to run on the coast side of the gear sets. The thought of an engine fire is always on your mind because you can't see it behind you.

The buggy is better for endurance racing because is handles better but it does not perform as well as a front engine on hills without water in the front tires.

Re:

If you run swapable thirds, yotas for instance. Can't you just cut and turn knuckles and then cut the diff cover off and turn and reweld?

Kel Lawrence

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
If you run removable thirds, yotas for instance. Can't you just cut and turn knuckles and then cut the diff cover off and turn and reweld?

Kel Lawrence
Yes you could. I think a couple of the studs for the third members need work too. Thirds would be flipped and the knuckles would also be correct. That would also mean having a pass. drop front axle and not centered.

No complaints at all from my rear engine buggy, I would recommend running water in the front tires, but I have done that on a front mounted engine also

Anybody ever run a fwd Caddy V8, like the buy-here-pay-here ghetto staple? My brother had one, all I remember about it was it was FAST AS FAWK and parts were cheap and plentiful. I'd think it would make a decent transaxle build. This one was i-damn-dentical to my brother's car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-04-01-21-48.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-04-01-21-48.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
5BrothersFabrication said:
Anybody ever run a fwd Caddy V8, like the buy-here-pay-here ghetto staple? My brother had one, all I remember about it was it was FAST AS FAWK and parts were cheap and plentiful. I'd think it would make a decent transaxle build. This one was i-damn-dentical to my brother's car.

I looked into a northstar TA setup when i was planning for my buggy build.. I found a few buggies here and there running northstars, even a KOH rig or two. The motor and trans are HUGE, but the transaxle is based on the 4l80 which is quite attractive. I wasn't able to locate a whole lot of information to make me feel warm and fuzzy about building an entire rig around one so I chose a more well known powerplant.

The northstar swaps are popular in the fiero world.. i drove a n* swapped one once and it was slow as frozen piss from zero to about 45... but from 45 to 110 hoooo leeeee chit.....

Latest posts