• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rear steer caster angle

Humpy

Ok I've read about 50 threads now on what to set rear steer caster angle at... I have seen answers from +/-7 and everything in between for various reasons even saw one guy said leave it at 0 cause it just don't matter he said.... What's y'all's opinion and why?

I'm very close to Weldin knuckles on this is last thing I have to decide on

My rig has rear steer with rockwells. Stock caster on a rockwell is about 4* IIRC. My rear axle has that plus a couple more degrees (pinion pointed up slightly). Probably 7* total in the rear. I don't think it would make any difference at trail riding speed what it was, but my rig tracks straight on the road at 75+mph FWIW.

I just built my un tested rear steer axle at 2-3* IIRC. From the research I did when I started mast said it really doesn't matter once you go to full hydro. Add to the its a rear axle with full hydro and most say run what you want.

When I did my buggy I never even gave it a thought, just set the pinion angle where it needed to be and ran it. Got up to 70-80 and didnt notice any ill effects.

Re:

Doesn't matter on rear because hydraulic valve prevents castor from doing anything.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've set several trail only rigs front axles on zero, it keeps the tire planted flat while turned, prob wouldn't drive at speeds for crap but they do climb better

I just finished building my rear steer axle. I set mine at 0* so the tire would stand up straight when it is turned.

are6yhad.jpg

That's a good looking foot print right there , that is the difference, if you had angle on it they would have been turned at the top. Good looking rig by tge way