• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rebuilding a Steering Valve - Rebuild Kits?

jordan7118

I have an orbital that needs to be rebuilt. It's an older PSC unit, but PSC has been zero help in figuring out who made the valve and getting a rebuild kit.

I know it's a 125cc open-center load-reactive valve with PSC part number FH-SV 125/3

Housing has "LS" cast in to it like friend's Trail-Gear 125cc unit, so possibly a rebuild kit (if even offered) from Trail-Gear would work? Trying to avoid buying a new valve because mine is good aside from probably seals. Any thoughts or help?

Take it apart and get seals from a local hydraulic shop or order them from Mcmaster Carr. :dunno:

Its probably a Eaton Char lynn valve. If so you will need to get a Eaton seal kit for it. Keep in mind when you reassemble it has to be timed correctly or it will act like hydraulic motor and try to rip your thumbs off! If you can send me some pics / numbers I can forward it to Eaton to see if they can get you a seal kit part number.

Timjus said:
does it leak oil to outside??
No, it does not. Just sounds like it's bypassing internally, and sometimes I can turn the wheel a full turn or two without sending any fluid to the cylinder... And then it finally catches and starts steering.

mike2.5 said:
Its probably a Eaton Char lynn valve. If so you will need to get a Eaton seal kit for it. Keep in mind when you reassemble it has to be timed correctly or it will act like hydraulic motor and try to rip your thumbs off! If you can send me some pics / numbers I can forward it to Eaton to see if they can get you a seal kit part number.
Yeah, I read about timing one. I need to read up / watch YouTube on rebuilding one. I'll get some pics and load them up. Thanks for the suggestion!

bjeep said:
Take it apart and get seals from a local hydraulic shop or order them from Mcmaster Carr. :dunno:
Thats a possibility, but I'm not entirely sure about the minute differences between what it came with and generic stuff form McM. Dunno for certain that I'm ordering the correct stuff, which is why I'd really like to find a rebuild kit.

jordan7118 said:
No, it does not. Just sounds like it's bypassing internally, and sometimes I can turn the wheel a full turn or two without sending any fluid to the cylinder... And then it finally catches and starts steering.
Yeah, I read about timing one. I need to read up / watch YouTube on rebuilding one. I'll get some pics and load them up. Thanks for the suggestion!
Thats a possibility, but I'm not entirely sure about the minute differences between what it came with and generic stuff form McM. Dunno for certain that I'm ordering the correct stuff, which is why I'd really like to find a rebuild kit.

sound like some valve is sticking. might wanna try to clean them first. under the allen plugs in the face where your steering colum fits.

those valves have no seals in moving internal part just seal in steering shaft and pump housing to keep oil coming out

Timjus said:
sound like some valve is sticking. might wanna try to clean them first. under the allen plugs in the face where your steering colum fits.

those valves have no seals in moving internal part just seal in steering shaft and pump housing to keep oil coming out
Like Timjus said it has no internal seals that would stop it from working, just a shaft seal and housing seals to keep it from leaking externally.