• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

redneck toyhauler ideas??

ldwoodruff

not real sure what route im wanting to go, lookin for some ideas? ive been camping out of a 20ft enclosed for a while (no a/c )!!!
~ been kickin around the idea of throwing a pop up camper on my gooseneck trailer?
~buying a 30ft enclosed gooseneck with a/c- heat unit???
~slide in truck camper on a gooseneck?
~usally hauling two rzr's , possibly rzr and crawler in near future

Go buy an A/C unit off an old trashed out camper, charge it and make sure it works, and I'll install it on the enclosed for ya. I did semi-trailer work for 8 years, I can make it look factory.

Buddy of mine drag races and keeps one of these in his enclosed trailer (not exact same brand and model, but you get the idea). Puts out cold a/c....runs off generator. He keeps the front of the trailer partitioned off with sliding cloth curtains to retain some of the desired temperature. If you already camping in an enclosed trailer and just want a/c, spending money on anything else seems like a parallel move. Grab you an a/c unit and you're good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whynter-ARC-12S-12000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-/251636940809?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item3a96bb0009#ht_491wt_953

Thanks mike, yeah I like the thoughts of a gooseneck enclosed so I can lock my stuff up!! :afro:are everywhere these days!!!and putting a/c and awning ect. On it, but a popup on my gooseneck flatbed would work good and a cheaper way out for sure

I wanted a gooseneck with a cabover camper, but couldn't find one cheap. I ended up picking this up, and it works good with a ton of storage for the welder, generator, etc.

AC unit will go right on top of enclosed trailer. Take little sky light vent then off and it sandwiches in that hole.

Gonna have to insalate the top some to keep any kind of heat or AC in. I put a new one on top of my enclosed when I had it. Works like a champ.

Re:

Probably reallllly redneck, but I've often wondered about a cheap, used box truck. Like a uhaul or something. Then finish it out like you would an enclosed trailer with fold down beds and tables and ****. Only issue would be some kind of ramps or always have to find a unloading/loading spot. Also used trucks like that have usually been run plum through their self and are like driving a parachute. Anyway, still think it'd be cool.

Re:

tyldyl12 said:
Probably reallllly redneck, but I've often wondered about a cheap, used box truck. Like a uhaul or something. Then finish it out like you would an enclosed trailer with fold down beds and tables and ****. Only issue would be some kind of ramps or always have to find a unloading/loading spot. Also used trucks like that have usually been run plum through their self and are like driving a parachute. Anyway, still think it'd be cool.
Just use the box truck to tow your trailer.

Not at all. Those fleet trucks are usually better maintained than POV's. I have a 99 F350 from Uhaul, we haul bag feed for my business on it. We put a Reese type hitch on it to pull a 16' deck over, my rig weighs 6000 +. I chose the Triton V10 and being a 99 I have had issues with the plugs popping out of the heads. Last year I removed 9 of 10 anti-seized them and tightend the piss out of them, going to do it over before Dixie Run. UHaul list the trucks they have for sell with ratings on each item such as tires, brakes etc. Getting the title was a PITA but other than that I am pleased with mine, will do it again. We have a Honda generator, fold up cots w/single mattresses and a fan is all we have ever needed. Redneck....maybe but ain't we?

Re:

tyldyl12 said:
I loved mine but sold it because the new buggy is wider than the door opening and I didn't want to swap tires every trip. It didn't drive as bad as you would think and wasn't ragged out. The only part that sucked was the amount of gas it used and the 70mph governor

Attachments

• IMG_20130718_185954 (2014_01_15 01_04_52 UTC).jpg
    IMG_20130718_185954 (2014_01_15 01_04_52 UTC).jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 108
  • boxtruck2 (2014_01_15 01_04_52 UTC).jpg
    boxtruck2 (2014_01_15 01_04_52 UTC).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 113
Re: Re: Re:

AdamF said:
I loved mine but sold it because the new buggy is wider than the door opening and I didn't want to swap tires every trip. It didn't drive as bad as you would think and wasn't ragged out. The only part that sucked was the amount of gas it used and the 70mph governor
Love it! What'd you do for ramps or whatever?

I used my suburban for years and slept in the back. We took out the 3rd row seat, put in an air mattress and had plenty of room. I ran a electrical cord into the vehicle and always had a fan or heater depending on the season.

Below is my current set-up, but one day I would like to have a 28-30 foot gooseneck enclosed trailer. I want to be able to haul two jeeps so I can split fuel $ with someone, unload jeeps and then sleep in the trailer.

Re: Re: Re:

tyldyl12 said:
Love it! What'd you do for ramps or whatever?
I made ramps out of scrap c channel and just slid them under whatever I was hauling

Attachments

• IMG_20130622_103637 (2014_01_15 01_04_52 UTC).jpg
    IMG_20130622_103637 (2014_01_15 01_04_52 UTC).jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 97
I'll be going gooseneck with slide in camper up front in the future. Most of the time I don't camp when I go 4 wheeling so having an enclosed seems like a lot of extra gas ( maybe ? ). If you can jack up the camper and take it off the trailer easily for an extra rig or less weight then that seems like the best way to me. If it's a pain to take off then I might go enclosed.

If the camper comes off easy and all you want to do is go camping then you don't have to pull a trailer. Just put it in the back of your truck and head out.

Anyone know if you get worse gas mileage with a loaded enclosed gooseneck trailer or is it about the same as a loaded flatbed gooseneck?? I'm sure it has been covered before.