• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Registering a rig from out of state.

TrailTaco

I am looking at possible buying a 83 Toyota Truggy from Colorado. I am concerned about getting it registered here. Will the state do an inspection of the rig. It is not street legal, has any one dealt with this issue before? Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

I am looking at possible buying a 83 Toyota Truggy from Colorado. I am concerned about getting it registered here. Will the state do an inspection of the rig. It is not street legal, has any one dealt with this issue before? Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Not street legal---your not going to have fun with that if you want to plate it.

Just bring in the CLEAR signed colorado title, and a good bill of sale with your name on it to your local DOL. They will never even look at the rig, you won't need emissions either due to the age. They will transfer title, and give you plates and tabs if your paperwork is in order.

Just bring in the CLEAR signed colorado title, and a good bill of sale with your name on it to your local DOL. They will never even look at the rig, you won't need emissions either due to the age. They will transfer title, and give you plates and tabs if your paperwork is in order.

What was stated above, the only kicker is getting busted with the plates on a Truggy.
If that does not happen no one will ever know the differance.
If you are not going to run it on road, no worries, but if you do: I have talked to a number of people that are looking into (if not allready) putting a "hot rod" plate on. Not sure if that turm is the right one or not. But the just of (what I have been told) it is a fair weather only plate. Not rain, limited use, no fenders required, type of plate.

The rig would be towed to go wheeling. It would see very little road driving. None on the highway or interstate. Sounds like I might be able to make this deal then.

Thanks

What was stated above, the only kicker is getting busted with the plates on a Truggy.
If that does not happen no one will ever know the differance.
If you are not going to run it on road, no worries, but if you do: I have talked to a number of people that are looking into (if not allready) putting a "hot rod" plate on. Not sure if that turm is the right one or not. But the just of (what I have been told) it is a fair weather only plate. Not rain, limited use, no fenders required, type of plate.

The no fenders thing is I want to say the car has to be 40 years old or older, and you can do it with normal plates. Restrictions is fair weather only on maintained (paved) roads. Collector plates are for vehicles that are rarely driven, or they're supposed to be. You pay once and don't have to tab it after the plate goes on.

I'd just toss some flaps and lights on the thing if you're going to drive it on the street.

I bought a rig from Colorado back in 2008. Titled transfered just fine, and bellingham has no emissions. it was an 85 4runner. Even if you had to do emissions, if it wasn't street legal, you could trailer to the place and have them test yah ;-)

As for hot rod and/or collectors plates... don't anticipate using hot rod plates for any crawler unless its a -really- old Jeep. Anything custom built won't work here.

Collectors plates are different, since it only needs to be 30 years old. So anything older than 1981 will qualify. there is no requirement for it to be in 'restored' condition to qualify as a collector's plate!... Also, since wheeling is recreational, it qualifies as pleasure driving and thus legal for collectors plate. (Source DMV, RCWs) If your rig is 1981 or older, I highly suggest collectors plates, as long as you aren't daily driving it. Once paid tabs, and thats it!

I bought a rig from Colorado back in 2008. Titled transfered just fine, and bellingham has no emissions. it was an 85 4runner. Even if you had to do emissions, if it wasn't street legal, you could trailer to the place and have them test yah ;-)

As for hot rod and/or collectors plates... don't anticipate using hot rod plates for any crawler unless its a -really- old Jeep. Anything custom built won't work here.

Collectors plates are different, since it only needs to be 30 years old. So anything older than 1981 will qualify. there is no requirement for it to be in 'restored' condition to qualify as a collector's plate!... Also, since wheeling is recreational, it qualifies as pleasure driving and thus legal for collectors plate. (Source DMV, RCWs) If your rig is 1981 or older, I highly suggest collectors plates, as long as you aren't daily driving it. Once paid tabs, and thats it!

i have collectors plates on my 7o bronco and my dune buggy and the only thing the lady said was it was for driving to the car show and back, but there is a guy up my street that has an old old bread/milk delivery truck he uses as his work truck, he is a handy man of sorts. think i might put them on my old ford truck, it is an 1981 that mostly hauls wood.