• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Retirement

Totally agree on rewards cards, if you can refrain from racking money up on the card then there is no reason not to have one. The absolute worst debt to be in is CC, pay those off every month!!!! I have two rewards cards, one for Marriott that I put all my work expenses on and a AmEx Blue Cash card. It gives you a % of cash back for all your spend each year. So every January, I usually get $500+ in free money just for buying groceries, food and gas all year.

Our 401k company hired on a fund mgmt firm to manage their 401k customers. You have to opt in and they constantly move your money from fund to fund, but man they have done a solid job with mine this year. Biggest return I have seen since enrolling. If your company or 401k provider offers this option I would jump at it.

Whats the best way to check your Credit Score. Last time I checked it, it was really good, but its been awhile. I would like to make sure nothing has came up. I haven't done anything to make me think it has, but Matt O got me thinking.

I had a credit line through AAFES when I was in the military, paid it off when I got out and they did something wrong.

Fast forward 6 years after I got out, buyin my first house I was told there was a deal from them on my credit report I hadnt even known about !!!

I got it handled but your right, its good to keep an eye on that , clerical errors or not that will F your score in a minute !

Cole said:
Whats the best way to check your Credit Score. Last time I checked it, it was really good, but its been awhile. I would like to make sure nothing has came up. I haven't done anything to make me think it has, but Matt O got me thinking.

MyFICO.com allows you to pull your score and check it, they have lots of different options. DON'T pull it too often, that will hurt your score! Once a year is fine. Birmingham WW totally fawked up and had a collection against me from 2006 that I did not even know about. Spent about 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday and finally got it taken care of. It was hurting my score by 100 points and messing up my new mortgage options

I have an American Xpress card that id cash back. It work good for me also and all I put on it is gas.

I have your problem with money figured out though, just get married and she will tell you where you need to put all your money. thumb.gif

wontwork said:
I have your problem with money figured out though, just get married and she will tell you where you need to put all your money. thumb.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This option sucks. And even when everyone tells you it sucks, you'll still go out and do it. dunno

Shoulda never bought the cow when the milk was free. And then when you're going to start to be charged for said milk.......move onto another cow. There are always cows out there willing to give away free milk pepper.gif

InDaShop said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This option sucks. And even when everyone tells you it sucks, you'll still go out and do it. dunno

Shoulda never bought the cow when the milk was free. And then when you're going to start to be charged for said milk.......move onto another cow. There are always cows out there willing to give away free milk pepper.gif
They seem to be in short supply here. :(

Bones said:
They seem to be in short supply here. :(
Just cause you're a whore and have milked every cow in town once, doesn't mean anything. Just means you need to move to a new town. What you went through Houston in record time? Like 4 months and all 3 million of them knew about you and your loose ways, and your panty dropping libations. :flipoff1:

I never got any play in Houston.

Only 150K people here, slim pickin's during hibernation season. molaugh

[taking a bow] thread killer [/taking a bow]

I don't invest enough in less liquid assets. I need to get into a couple properties now that the housing market is GONE here. buyers market fo sho. that's just houses. property around paola is 4K per acre and up. Up to 7K per acre right around town. Lucky me, I have 40 now and am going to get a couple mil piece from dad when he kicks off. unfortuantely I will be too old to live like a rich playboy by the time this happens.

I got to see my credit score for the first time ever when we bought michelle's car last month. 809 :eek: loller.gif the finance guy walked in, showed me and is like, yeah, you get the super preferred rate. saved her 3% over what she would have paid on her score.

If you are investing in your 20s, you will be fine. keep out of debt, especially CC debt.

Wow, 806 is unheard of. Mine is in the high 700's and I get the carpet rolled out for me when I go to buy something.

Don't apply for any new credit or check that again!!!

You lose 10pts every time you get your credit checked. I think that is on a 12 month schedule.

When I lost my job with Pfizer, I got a 6 figure + severance check and I used it to pay off all of my debt. I am rolling into 2008 debt free for the first time since college. It is a great feeling. I still have a pretty high burn rate with private schools and my toy habit, but overal life could not be better.

mom was appalled too. she has been in banking for many years. I never have mine checked or apply for ****. I have kept the same 6 or so credit cards for the last 12 years paying them off and racking up again, along with carrying a credit on them (not a balance). I have had maybe 8 bank loans, all of which were on there and have never ever in my life had a late payment on anything....ever. I would say that If they had looked at the other agency it would have been in the 700's. the 2 they were looking at was missing my current 25K loan, but had my student loan????. whatever, I saw the number and was thrilled. just need to keep it up in the 7's. My mom and dad have preached keeping ahead on bills and how important credit is in your life since I was like 5. It works thumb.gif

You can alos make your score go up by having loans cut directly out of your check or checking account. Don't ask me how it works. 800 is an awesome score, I thought I was good with my 760, ut you put it to shame.

When we got our first house my score was 792, the collection had dropped it by 100. All for $43 that was because of a f-up on their end :flipgotcha:

Max out your Roth contributions every year. It decreases your taxable income, thus you have already saved the effective tax rate on that money; ie.. 17%-30%.

Keep pumping the max amount into the 401k each year if you can afford it to maximize tax advantages. While you could always play catch up later in life, the compounding of interest from investing early is easily the best way to build wealth. The market adverages a solid 8-10% return each year. pepper.gif

My company matches up to 8%, I contribute 10% of each chech, so I am basically investing 18% of my paycheck in the 401k each year. thumb.gif