• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ring and pinion

jeeppoor

Have a friend that has 4.10 gears in his jeep.
Dana 60 / 14 bolt.
Small block Chevy, turbo 350, np205 case.
He is thinking about going to 7.17 gears to get the crawl ratio. I told him the pinion wont take it. it is to small. I told him to put a doubler in it.
He doesn't think he has the room. his rear drive shaft is 27" long now.
He cant afford an Altas.
What are his other options?

sm 465 4 speed transmission? Buy them for almost nothing, has 6.50ish 1 gear ratio. Just a lot of bull to change it over

Lowest gears you can get for a 14 bolt are 5.38 anyway

I'd be looking into a NWF Eco box doubler. It's short and would be cheaper than doing axle gears (correctly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep 5.38 is all you got. On a side note I ran 7.17's 7 years with some slight abuse before I opened both diff covers and Saw both piñon' gears chewed on pretty hard. They never broke though.

TBItoy said:
Lowest gears you can get for a 14 bolt are 5.38 anyway

I'd be looking into a NWF Eco box doubler. It's short and would be cheaper than doing axle gears (correctly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll weigh in. I had a similar dilemma few years ago desperately needing a deeper low ratio.

You just aren't gonna gain a 7:17 and retain your current wheelbase or 27" rear shaft

There's just no such thing as a 7:17 without doubling or different axles

That being said, you can run a lomax in the 205. That'll get you 3:1

You can run a rubicon case that will get you 4:1 and with I'm assuming a TBI you'll be fine until you beat it too hard and even then they handle some pretty dang good abuse. But keep in mind the rubicon case is not a direct swap, it has a 23 spline input and your TH350 has a 27 spline GM output, if I'm remembering correctly

Excluding the atlas like you said, you can combine one of those 2 with 5:13s, which I wouldn't go any deeper if you want axles to live and get you pretty decent ratio. You still aren't even knocking on the door of what 7:17 feels like. I don't even know what size tires you run.

Doubling is in my opinion the best way to go. You get multiple gearing options and you may even get away with not swapping gears if you like the lowest ratio which is 5.3:1 without the lomax or 8:1 with it.

The crawl box is a solid 10" on to the tail of your housing

No matter what you aren't gonna gain anymore than 4:1 without drivetrain length

I run a NWF ecobox in front of a 231 with a slip yoke eliminator. Grabs me 7.4:1 to the axles with 5:13s. 60 front and 14 rear. Oh and with 1330 joint front and 1310 joints at the tcase outputs

I run 42" reds, it was one of the best if not THE best upgrades I have made.

Post up what you do. I'm curious