• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock Auto parts brand differences and injector questions

bushhog750

So I need a few parts for the 5.3 I just bought for my buggy. They have some brands that im not familiar with such as ultra power, air tex, and standard motor products. Then they also have Delphi and AC Delco. I'm not looking to try and save a bunch of money and dont mind spending money on quality parts. Of these brands mentioned which ones should I stay away from. Any personal preferences on any of these brands on which one would be the better brand to go with.

Re: Rock Auto parts brand differences

I know a lot of people use Air Tex fuel pumps but I'm not sure what other products they make. For engine parts such as coil packs, sensors, etc. I would stick with Delphi or Ac Delco. The others may be just as good but I trust OEM parts to last longer.

Edit: Found the thread where Air Tex pumps were discussed if you're interested.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=25686.0

Airtex is a very popular brand name, especially for fuel pumps and sending units. It is one of the most commonly stocked brands at Advance Auto and other big-name auto parts stores.

Standard Motor Products is also a very popular electrical brand at the auto stores. (Solenoids, small periphery computers, etc.)

Haven't heard of Ultrapower.

In today's world of consolidation and corp. buy-outs a lot of the stuff is all made by one company and just re-badged. For instance, I bought a $25 injector for my LS2 from Rockauto that said it was warehouse closeout, alternative manufacturer packaging. (Or something like that.) The injector in the box was an AC Delco injector, same part number stamped on it as the OEM injector it was replacing with the name AC Delco on it. The same part number on their site was $52 with the AC Delco packaging.

I agree that it depends on what you are shopping for, but ultimately I would probably trust anything they sell. When I buy on that site (which is often) I spend some time comparing name brands vs. prices and evaluating how much the brand name is really worth to me. :)

Yeah I just saw that odd warehouse closeout on the map sensor I bought. I didn't buy that one cause I didn't know what it was. Damn it, it was $15.00 cheaper than the delphi MAP sensor I bought. Now I know I guess.

bushhog750 said:
Yeah I just saw that odd warehouse closeout on the map sensor I bought. I didn't buy that one cause I didn't know what it was. Damn it, it was $15.00 cheaper than the delphi MAP sensor I bought. Now I know I guess.

Not saying every one of those closeouts is the good name brand. I just lucked out on mine. But there's not THAT many companies making some stuff. Look at the other brands they are selling. I think chances are pretty high that those no-name closeouts are normally just going to be a repackaged one of those other brands that they sell.

I think when I bought that injector they had 3 brands of injectors that fit my junk. I think they were Standard Motor Products, Bosch, and AC Delco. (Its been a while, I may be wrong on those.) But I would have been happy with any of them, hence my decision to buy the closeout.

But if your buying injectors, the names they sell are ACDelco, Bosch, SMP, Teconisha Toymodo, Hencho en Mehico, and Johnson's auto Rebuilder Extraordinaire, it might not be worth it to chance the closeout.

Do not under any circumstances by and airtex Fuel Pump. You will be lucky to get one to two years in a GM application. Delphi or Delco are the only ways to go. If you would like PM me what you need and I'll get you a price quote when I get back to work Thursday. Thanks, Tyler

yeah the map sensor that was close out was labeled AC Delco. Not sure if thats what I was actually going to get though. I've read some of the horror stories behind the air tex fuel pumps. When I was shopping for fuel pumps I chose the Walbro that WOD sells. I believe its flow rating 255 LPH. Its been on rig for 4 months with zero issues so far.

bushhog750 said:
yeah the map sensor that was close out was labeled AC Delco. Not sure if thats what I was actually going to get though. I've read some of the horror stories behind the air tex fuel pumps. When I was shopping for fuel pumps I chose the Walbro that WOD sells. I believe its flow rating 255 LPH. Its been on rig for 4 months with zero issues so far.
I've read tons of horror stories about Walbro's, too. And GM pumps are legendary for their propensity to go out just after the warranty is up.

Yet I know people who swear GM pumps are superior, and people who swear Airtex are, and people who swear Walbros are.

I wouldn't really hesitate to run any of them to be honest. I think the reasons most pumps fail are system-design issues since we're all basically designing our own systems yet none of us are fluid design engineers. :) I can trace every fuel pump issue I've had so far back to a system flaw that I either designed in or a manufacturer part failure. None fo them have been the pump itself's problem.

GM doesn't have an inline pump though, do they? They're all in-tank?

Not sure on GM..... I think they are all in tank. I've had zero issues with the walbro so far...... Bitch may quit tomorrow though. Lol Patooyee what kinda parts business you running, I saw where my buddy Pachary bought some stuff from you and then he gets a refund aswell.

I will be ordering motor mount plates from you here before long. Thanks for the web address.

bushhog750 said:
I will be ordering motor mount plates from you here before long. Thanks for the web address.

NP. Thanks for the opportunity to plug. :)

ok new set of problems with this 5.3. I didnt wanna make a new thread so I will see what you guys think. I just went and pulled out the fuel pressure regulator and it had some **** in the filter of the FPR, and the fuel rails have varnished fuel in them and it smells like ****. Im not in a huge hurry to get this motor put in so while I have it out and on a stand should I replace the injectors or would yall think they are ok even with the varnished old fuel being in the rails. I dont want to spend more money but id also rather do it before I put it in so it doesnt give me fits on the first start up or when trying to tune it after its installed. Could the old fuel in the fuel rails effect the injector also.

bushhog750 said:
ok new set of problems with this 5.3. I didnt wanna make a new thread so I will see what you guys think. I just went and pulled out the fuel pressure regulator and it had some **** in the filter of the FPR, and the fuel rails have varnished fuel in them and it smells like ****. Im not in a huge hurry to get this motor put in so while I have it out and on a stand should I replace the injectors or would yall think they are ok even with the varnished old fuel being in the rails. I dont want to spend more money but id also rather do it before I put it in so it doesnt give me fits on the first start up or when trying to tune it after its installed. Could the old fuel in the fuel rails effect the injector also.

Yes, sitting with fuel in them is very bad for injectors. Mine sat for about 3 years and so far 3 have stuck open on me in less than 6 months. There are professional cleaning services where you send them out, get them cleaned, and they send them back.

im not sure how long this motor has been sitting. I think I may just replace them a few at a time until I get them all replaced. I looked on rock auto and they have a ton of different brands with prices all across the board. With some saying VIN T and VIN Z priced from $36.00 to $95.00 Im not 100% sure what this motor came out of. What do the different VIN #'s mean. From what the seller told me its from a 2002 truck.

bushhog750 said:
im not sure how long this motor has been sitting. I think I may just replace them a few at a time until I get them all replaced. I looked on rock auto and they have a ton of different brands with prices all across the board. With some saying VIN T and VIN Z priced from $36.00 to $95.00 Im not 100% sure what this motor came out of. What do the different VIN #'s mean. From what the seller told me its from a 2002 truck.

Flex fuel vs. dedicated gasoline? The Flex Fuel injectors flow a lot more than the gas-only ones but the ECM needs to be programmed properly for them. Can you just get the part number off of what you have and enter it in the parts number search?

patooyee said:
Flex fuel vs. dedicated gasoline? The Flex Fuel injectors flow a lot more than the gas-only ones but the ECM needs to be programmed properly for them. Can you just get the part number off of what you have and enter it in the parts number search?
Haven't tried looking at part numbers on the injectors yet but that is a great suggestion, thank you. I guess I will stay with AC Delco or Delphi again on injectors. I see they have that whole sale or close out on the injector on rockautos website. You said that one worked well for you right didn't you patooyee.

bushhog750 said:
Haven't tried looking at part numbers on the injectors yet but that is a great suggestion, thank you. I guess I will stay with AC Delco or Delphi again on injectors. I see they have that whole sale or close out on the injector on rockautos website. You said that one worked well for you right didn't you patooyee.

It did for me once. That has no bearing on whether it will for you now though.

But yes, the injector is still int he motor and working. But it was an AC Delco injector, I wouldn't expect anything less.

patooyee said:
It did for me once. That has no bearing on whether it will for you now though.

But yes, the injector is still int he motor and working. But it was an AC Delco injector, I wouldn't expect anything less.
Thanks for your help and insight. I will start ordering some a few at a time. Wish it was a 4 cylinder at certain times. Lol

Latest posts