• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock Crawlers Heaven Sandy Hollow Utah

jeeppoor

Rock Crawlers Heaven Sandy Hollow Utah
Has anyone ever been here? Is it worth the trip?
The wife and I have been talking about going out west now for a couple of years. And it seems every time we pick a date with some other wheelers and it gets close to the date something always happens. Either they suddenly don't have the money, their wife or girlfriend won't let them go, their rig or tow vehicle is broken and they don't have the money to do both fix it and go on the trip.
That being said. We have decided to go in 2018. We already are going to do a 2 to 3 out of state wheeling trips in 2017(West Virginia – Hatfield and MA coy, Winrock, and maybe the Badlands when the Ultra4 are there). We have to wait until after tax season (the works for a few CPAs). So we really have no date set right now.
We are looking for some other people to go wheeling with us. We like to keep the group to 5 – 6 rigs. And we would be camps right at Sandy Hollow. But I read that there are condos that you can rent close. And town is only about 15 miles away.
We are run a jeep/buggy. Tons, spool in rear locked in front, 42s etc.
Is anyone interested?

I'll be there this month. Looks like we're just going to wheel one evening there with a friend. It's part of a 2wk trip for us. This will be our 4th trip wheeling out west. I don't care to stay in one place more than 2-3days. There's too much to see and wheel out there. I'll try to give you guys a report of our trip when we return. We're essentially wheeling Utah and Colorado from St. George to Colorado Springs then heading home.

Me and the wife stopped by there July 2015 on vacation without my buggy. The ATV rental place there would not rent me a side by side because it was too hot. It was a beautiful place and I hope to take my buggy there some day.

GONOVRIT said:
I'll be there this month. Looks like we're just going to wheel one evening there with a friend. It's part of a 2wk trip for us. This will be our 4th trip wheeling out west. I don't care to stay in one place more than 2-3days. There's too much to see and wheel out there. I'll try to give you guys a report of our trip when we return. We're essentially wheeling Utah and Colorado from St. George to Colorado Springs then heading home.
Please let us know how the trails are and what the weather is like?
Temp wise. lol

Sawzall said:
Me and the wife stopped by there July 2015 on vacation without my buggy. The ATV rental place there would not rent me a side by side because it was too hot. It was a beautiful place and I hope to take my buggy there some day.
What temp is to hot to rent you a side by side?

I have wheeled there and I can tell you it is definitely worth it. Sand Hollow State Park is one of the best managed, cleanest and organized recreational areas I have been to. For all day wheelin, I'd say any time except June-Aug. Oct is perfect. You are so close to town, there are literally motels 1 mile from the park. The Winter 4x4 Jamboree is held every Jan. There is also the Trail Hero event coming up this Oct. There is plenty of trailer parking and you leave the parking lot, go under the pavement (through a bypass tunnel) and you are in the sand. There are sand dunes right next tot the rock trails. The Scenery is amazing. Hurricane is the closest town. They have all amenities and its a nice little town, St. George is right there as well and has everything you'd need. If you have any specific questions, just ask. You will love it!
Here's some pics from my last trip in Jan of this year.
20160123_110124.jpg

20160123_130215.jpg

20160123_131659.jpg

20160122_110641.jpg

Maze1.jpg

20160123_135739.jpg

jeeppoor said:
What temp is to hot to rent you a side by side?

It was near 110 if I remember correctly and I was trying to rent a Rzr. The place was called The Beach at Sand Hollow. It was actually the last of June 2015 when I was there.

Those pics are beautiful, unfortunately I looked and we won't be close to it at all. Making a trip to Moab Oct 1st, and that's a good bit further.

Holy ****, in the first pic, the orange ramcharger belongs to my buddy Doug! Its a great place to wheel, but bring your a game if your going to run the harder trails!

blugreenformula said:
Holy ****, in the first pic, the orange ramcharger belongs to my buddy Doug! Its a great place to wheel, but bring your a game if your going to run the harder trails!

He beat the **** out of that thing! At the start of the trail, it was pretty clean for a full size wheeler, I looked at it at the end of the day, and it looked like he had parked in the ghetto with a WLM sticker, :****: IIRC he rolled it right after this.
The motor sounded wicked. I wanna say he's from Colorado?

what month/s is the best time to wheel there? As in comfortable temps, least chance of rain, or is there another factor that makes one month better than the rest

DirtMonkey said:
He beat the **** out of that thing! At the start of the trail, it was pretty clean for a full size wheeler, I looked at it at the end of the day, and it looked like he had parked in the ghetto with a WLM sticker, :****: IIRC he rolled it right after this.
The motor sounded wicked. I wanna say he's from Colorado?

First time I wheeled with him, that thing was the cleanest Ramcharger I had ever seen. He was running with Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers at that time. He then started coming around our club and it wend down hill from there for his body work. Yeah, he moved to Colorado around the time I moved out here. The motor was pretty hot, I remember back then he ran a dodge D60 up front with the old style external locking hubs. He shattered something like 4 lockouts in a 3hr period. They were breaking so hard it was blowing pieces of them 10ft off the trail.

blugreenformula said:
That is why I am waiting until 2018. Have some work to do to the jeep because I want to run the harder trails. ;D

84mallcrawl said:
what month/s is the best time to wheel there? As in comfortable temps, least chance of rain, or is there another factor that makes one month better than the rest

I live about 4.5 hours away so I've been there probably a dozen times. I actually rarely go to Moab (4 hours away) since discovering Sand Hollow years back. It is a hot, dry climate so rain doesn't happen a ton out there but I'd say the winter months would be the time to avoid still. It doesn't get very cold there and I usually wear a zip-up hoodie at most during the January event and most of the time I end up in a t-shirt during the afternoon. It really is an AMAZING place for wheeling, especially for really technical, difficult trails. There are also a lot of locals that are more than willing to show people around.

Are there trails for all size rigs out there like Moab or is it more hardcore?

Looks like a neat place. I've never heard of it till now

I feel like the variety is pretty good but it does have more hardcore stuff than not IMO. There are actually a handful of more mild, scenic trails that I've never even been on.

Here's a list of the trails with rankings.
http://www.winter4x4jamboree.com/trails.cfm

If you have any specific questions about whether your rig would be well-suited for it just let me know how it's built and what kind of wheeling you like to do.

rockcrawlersforsale said:
If you have any specific questions about whether your rig would be well-suited for it just let me know how it's built and what kind of wheeling you like to do.
Jeep/buggy tons 538, spool rear locked in front, 4to1 in t case, 4.0 inline 6.
Rocks