• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwells make your sac swell!

Eddyj

Trading my tons for a set of rockwell take offs. Never messed with rocks before. So just looking for some pointers. I've read a lot on pirate and on hardline. I like patoyee's brakes. I'm not real worried about shaving the bottoms yet but if you got a good suggestion for a product ill listen. Going to triangulate bottom links on front to a point at the belly ( seems to be easy and most popular). got a ? About rear should you try to double tri the rear like a normal axle or just mirror the front?
I have 15 inch beadlock rims should I cut the centers out and replace ( if so who puts out good centers?) or just sell and buy new rims? This is a low budget build.
Thanks

Re: My first set of rocks

They arnt for evryone but they are for me I love em, if yours have ujoint shafts you can de brake em and rock out, actually you can run any of the shafts till the break then swap if your on a budget, even the bendix and rezeppa shafts are a good bit stronger than stock ton stuff and ya already have 6:72 gears, they don't turn as sharp as a ton axle so be prepared for alot of k turns , front digs or rear steer, the 6:72 and a np205 seem to be a pretty good gear setup , I have a set in a jeep with np435 /205 and it crawls great, also have a set in my buggy with th400/205 it crawls ok and bangs in 2nd or 3rd gear , any questions just ask away ....quite a few guys runnin em on here....Csc fab puts em in most of their builds

I triangulated one of my top bars on the front also. Yes just one, the other is straight but both mounts have the same placement on the frame, you just end up with the angled bar being a little longer than the straight one. I've seen a bunch of rigs with just the bottoms angled still have a bunch of side to side movement.

Good info. They are u joint. And going in a buggy. I've cut off from the motor mounts forward I'm goi g to build front of the buggy around the axle. No rear steer this time maybe in the future. Can you do anything to help turning?

Just cut the head off the steering stop bolts and run this cylinder. Its a 2"x10" witch is 1" more than the factory 9" drag length travel. It is cheaper than PSC and works great Just my .02 before taxes ;)

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6846&catname=hydraulic

Go BIG Or Go Home!! ????

Also stay with a 2" or 2 1/2" bore. Psc's 3" rams are to big. Even with krc pumps they are slow turning.

Cornbread Customs said:
Just cut the head off the steering stop bolts and run this cylinder. Its a 2"x10" witch is 1" more than the factory 9" drag length travel. It is cheaper than PSC and works great Just my .02 before taxes ;)

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6846&catname=hydraulic

Go BIG Or Go Home!! ????

Does this bolt in where a PSC cylinder was or is modification required?
My PSC is slow slow slow.

Its a bolt welded to your houseing that stops your knuckles fir oversteering and bindind axle joints

I have a single ended ram it says its a 2x10 but when measured the stroke is about 9.5. Could this just be attached to tierod?

Ya that's exactly how I have both mine setup and they work great, I had a set of bendix shafts in jeep once and turned the stop bolt in for more steering and it bound axle joints up and broke a shaft

What does it take to flip the hubs in?

How so you set the rear steering axle up? Don't you have to rotate the chunk?

How hard is it to narrow them and run 2 short side shafts?

My dad is thinking of building a 3rz powered Rockwell buggy. He wants something to trail ride with rear steer that is super dependable. Not worried about hitting the big obstacles or hills.

Yeah going with pinion for sure. Just a couple of options on how to do it. Patoyee's seem very nice. And I figured if you going to spend money on something might as well be brakes. Just looking for others opinions on what works and what to stay away from.
Thanks

Re: Re: My first set of rocks

Go to mudprometalworks.com
They have tons of brackets for the rock well.
I run my link bars to the bottom of my chunks too. I like the setup but take extra time because you can get a lot of side to side action. You can run your brakes and your steering on the inside of your axles.
aqu9eta8.jpg
ety4aher.jpg

*Plan your next ride @ THE FLATS 828-442-7932 *

Flipping hubs : drive all studs out and put in opposite way, uses 3/8 button head bolts in the spindles, grinde relief in back of wheel studs to clear and your done
Rear steer : take all studs out of housing, flip housing around backwards, use transfer punch or spray paint the holes, pull chunk back out and you will see you need to weld a few holes back in cuz they will over lap ( not bolt hole pattern) drill and tap new holes on location , grind clearance groove for bull gear and rock out

Cornbread Customs said:
Just cut the head off the steering stop bolts

Do this and you'll be replacing broken axle shafts. That bolt on the knuckle stop is there for a reason.

You can adjust the bolt in if you want but you'll have to cut the spot weld off of it and replace it with a new bolt. Raise your steering axle off the ground with both wheels free. Turn the wheels over by had and adjust the knuckle stop bolt in. Once you feel and notching/binding in the wheel, back the bolt back out a couple turns. Once you get it set, retack weld it in place.

Basically what's happening is, your axle shaft ujoint ears are touching the inside of it's connecting axle shaft. To get even more steering out of them, you can grind out the inside sides of the "C" areas on both inner and outer axle shafts to gain more clearance for more steering angle.

Rockwells are only going to turn so sharp due to the knuckle / boot design anyway. I wouldn't fawk with any of it, just stuff a rear steer Rockwell in it and be done.

Rockwells607 said:
Flipping hubs : drive all studs out and put in opposite way, uses 3/8 button head bolts in the spindles, grinde relief in back of wheel studs to clear and your done
Rear steer : take all studs out of housing, flip housing around backwards, use transfer punch or spray paint the holes, pull chunk back out and you will see you need to weld a few holes back in cuz they will over lap ( not bolt hole pattern) drill and tap new holes on location , grind clearance groove for bull gear and rock out

I took 8 3/8" bolts and cut the heads off of them. Stuck them in a drill and spun them as I turned them down to a point on a grinding wheel. Then, I threaded them from the inside of the housing up and out of the four for and aft housing bolt holes. Then I set the center chunk back down in the housing aligning with the outside four reaming bolts that don't get changed. I tapped the housing down with a dead blow hammer transferring the holes via my ground down bolts to the underside of the center chunk housing. Then, I flipped the center chunk and drilled it out making 8 new holes in it.

I felt it was better to do this then try and get 8 rethreaded holes in the housing correct as a couple of those are extremely difficult to transfer as the pinion shaft part of the center chunk interferes with them.

Worked out great.

Did mine rear like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 261

Latest posts