• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwells make your sac swell!

Pretty much all I got from wheeling last weekend.
9d0d81360ccfb329536d4342055e990b.jpg
7c26fde397c6e5946588b366ccb758f6.jpg
a3ff48ed1688b3f3895208501082d318.jpg
1b4bcf8a31ccceabc954d59713209d76.jpg
95704fe7483b5854a6d505aa8004e4b5.jpg
967b952057bafe6e4e21b51b47ea04f6.jpg
289fd863fe04e19a6226298829f12560.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So a update on 16 spline Rockwell shafts they are strong but not unbreakable had them in the front of the buggy for 6 months and held up great until last two rides and I beat the piss out it for the last 6 months so it isn't to bad but figured just go ahead and do 2 inch all the way around and not have to worry about it

874fce9b2bb004f652302d70c007cfbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rockwells607 said:
Yes I do have belt slip on that pump, I just added that pump when I did the rear steer and I need to address it sometime, needs more contact so probably another idler or something . Ive been really busy so it's pretty much just been basic needed maintance on the buggy Lately but sometime when I get a slowdown in the shop I plan to fix it. It's certainly wheelable now but the squeal alone drives me nuts
Regardless of wrap, if you have a spring tensioner in line with a load after it, when the load increases (more amp w rpm draw if alt, use the pump, etc) the tension on the belt increases. If there is a spring tensioner BEFORE the load (pump/alt) it will yield and the belt will loosen. I agree lots of wrap is important as well. Put a fixed idler or tensioner there. If you can't move the spring one down right off the crank (passenger lower side where the belt is exiting the crank and headed uphill, this is where slack is) just put a fixed with slide on it. When I made my accessory kit I used a fixed idler style and a slot in a plate with a nut holder rail on the backside and tensioned normally like an old V belt.

jccarter1 said:
So a update on 16 spline Rockwell shafts they are strong but not unbreakable had them in the front of the buggy for 6 months and held up great until last two rides and I beat the piss out it for the last 6 months so it isn't to bad but figured just go ahead and do 2 inch all the way around and not have to worry about it

874fce9b2bb004f652302d70c007cfbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Which 16 splines were you running? Overson? Or Rockwelloffroad

Overson they held up to a decent beating lasted 6 months which I was trying to find the weak link but 2inch shafts are just stupid big and you will never have to worry

jccarter1 said:
Overson they held up to a decent beating lasted 6 months which I was trying to find the weak link but 2inch shafts are just stupid big and you will never have to worry

I opted for the 16s Ouversons inners up front to run an ARB (my rig is street legal and sometimes it sees street/speed sections)...but went on with Violator UJs and outers...which shaft did you break? Long/Short?

Just out of curiousity...what the weight of a stock '05 super duty 60 with factory brakes....
pretty close to the same as pinion brake rockwell...

I've bench raced building a set of rockwell-super duty hybrids. Rockwell center + super duty outers. mainly because I can get a pair of Rockwell rears for free. Shafts would be sort of a cluster, according to if you wanted full zoot direct spline big stubs, or wanted to keep your locking hubs.
I suspect one could run 16 spline inners and get some stubs made either way, to run rockwell ujoints, or big bell RCVs.

pretty close to the same as pinion brake rockwell...

I've bench raced building a set of rockwell-super duty hybrids. Rockwell center + super duty outers. mainly because I can get a pair of Rockwell rears for free. Shafts would be sort of a cluster, according to if you wanted full zoot direct spline big stubs, or wanted to keep your locking hubs.
I suspect one could run 16 spline inners and get some stubs made either way, to run rockwell ujoints, or big bell RCVs.

I have been thinking about this also. If you are planning to go RCVs or other shafts, then it likely isnt a big deal. Ive also thought about an adapter allowing you to put 05+ hubs on rockwell knuckles, to run rockwell stubs. Seems possible, not sure it is worth it.

I have been thinking about this also. If you are planning to go RCVs or other shafts, then it likely isnt a big deal. Ive also thought about an adapter allowing you to put 05+ hubs on rockwell knuckles, to run rockwell stubs. Seems possible, not sure it is worth it.
patoyee had drawn up some wheel spacer drive flange things that allowed the use of a standard long rockwell stub shaft in a Super Duty outer setup. I don't know that they would worth it to make them though, considering custom stubs aren't *that* expensive or uncommon.

The WOD/Crane Magnum knuckles use an adapter exactly as you describe. 05+ UB onto a rockwell spindle pattern. I would assume you could bolt them to stock Rockwell knuckles without any problems.

After you start talking about custom shafts and modify this/machine that, it starts to just make more sense to put some big aftermarket knuckles on a rockwell housing. Then you have to decide if you REALLY want to build around the big huge rockwell chunk, then you go get some dana 80 or 10" centers and just leave the ol rockwell sitting in the edge of the woods...

Last edited:

Latest posts