• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Roll Center Explained

I have thought for years low roll center is a common overlooked problem with top heavy rigs. I built the roll center as high as I could with my buddies exo caged Truggy and it made a big difference. Its surprisingly stable now.

Can we get a summary in writing? Maybe posted along side the 4 link Calc on your site?

I do much better with text than having to skip around a video.

For Jake and people like him I'm sure it's easy to flow along but for me you guys go through each concept pretty quickly.

Can we get a summary in writing? Maybe posted along side the 4 link Calc on your site?

For Jake and people like him I'm sure it's easy to flow along but for me you guys go through each concept pretty quickly.
Back in the day, Burkey worked at Advance Auto. I walked in one day when I had a mall crawler TJ on 35's and was just shooting the crap. I thought I was cool cause I parked next to his Ton'd CJ. Regardless, he took 2 min to draw and explain kingpin knuckles vs ball joint knuckles to me. It was at that point that I realized his level of knowledge when it comes to all this was WAY over my head. I do good to not have my junk fall apart loading on and off the trailer.....

One question I have:
It seems to be one of those commonly spouted rules with a 3 link that triangulating the lowers a bit helps with the roll center, but in the video Jake says the RC is the center of the panhard. I'm guessing that's not 100% accurate, but more of a generalization. Who's right?

I've found this link to be very helpful.

One question I have:
It seems to be one of those commonly spouted rules with a 3 link that triangulating the lowers a bit helps with the roll center, but in the video Jake says the RC is the center of the panhard. I'm guessing that's not 100% accurate, but more of a generalization. Who's right?
I am not sure, but, he said the same thing about a 4 link and the lowers. I have always heard the center of the panhard being the RC on 3 link. I would bet it is all more complicated than that, just some rules of thumb.

Back in the day, Burkey worked at Advance Auto. I walked in one day when I had a mall crawler TJ on 35's and was just shooting the crap. I thought I was cool cause I parked next to his Ton'd CJ. Regardless, he took 2 min to draw and explain kingpin knuckles vs ball joint knuckles to me. It was at that point that I realized his level of knowledge when it comes to all this was WAY over my head. I do good to not have my junk fall apart loading on and off the trailer.....

He gets pretty nerded out during these tech videos, good thing he has me around to make him simplify things more as he confuses the crap out of me and I feel like I am a pretty smart feller. :****:

Latest posts