ATX780

Parts list:
Frame/Chassis Design-------- 2014 Spyder OffRoad Design
Frame/Chassis Materials----- 1.75" DOM
Overall Wheelbase------------- 117 inches
Overall Length------------------
Overall Height-------------------

SUSPENSION:
Front Suspension/Type/Materials---- triangulated 4-Link with 1.25-inch heims / 7075 Aluminum links - 2" uppers, 2.25" lowers
Front Shocks------------------------------- Fox Coilovers 14"
Front coilover spring rates-------------
Front Bump Stops-------------------------ProFender airbumps 4"
Rear Suspension/Type/Materials----- triangulated 4-Link with 1.25-inch heims / 7075 Aluminum links - 2" uppers, 2.25" lowers
Rear Shocks-------------------------------- Fox Coilovers 14"
Rear coilover spring rates--------------
Rear Bump Stops--------------------------ProFender Airbumps 4"

DRIVETRAIN
Front Axle Housing----------------------- Dana 80 with 2.5 ton Rockwell outers
Front Differential/Locker--------------- WOD spool
Front Ring and Pinion/Ratio------------ 4.63
Front Differential Cover---------------- Spyder OffRoad
Front Axle Shafts------------------------ RCV - 2" 47spline
Front Drive Flanges--------------------- RCV
Front Brakes------------------------------ Wilwood 6 piston brakes
Front Drive Shaft------------------------- Beaverlick SpeedShop driveshafts with 1480 u-joints
Front Steering Setup------------------- PSC high flow hydralic double-ended ram with PSC powersteeing pump and resevoir

Rear Axle Housing----------------------- Dana 80 with 2.5 ton Rockwell outers
Rear Differential/Locker--------------- WOD spool
Rear Ring and Pinion/Ratio------------ 4.63
Rear Differential Cover---------------- Spyder OffRoad
Rear Axle Shafts------------------------ RCV - 2" 47spline
Rear Drive Flanges--------------------- RCV
Rear Brakes------------------------------ Wilwood 6 piston brakes
Rear Drive Shaft------------------------- Beaverlick SpeedShop driveshafts with 1480 U-joints
Rear Steering Setup------------------- PSC high flow hydraulic double-ended ram with PSC pump and resevoir
Stazworks Electric over Hydraulic, with automatic return to center

Tire Make/Size---------------------------- 43" SX stickies
Wheel Make/Size------------------------- 17" Raceline Forged Double Beadlock wheels

POWERTRAIN:
Engine Make------------------------------- Built LS 6.0 - Mast Motorsports M-90
Batteries------------------------------------ Optima
Radiator/Fans------------------------------ FSR (Four Seasons Radiators) with SPAL twin fan setup
Transmission------------------------------ PTC TH 350 with Ultra bell and full reverse manual valve body
Transmission Shifter-------------------- TCI dirt track shifter
Transfer Case------------------------------ Pro-Fab Machine direct drive/quick change transfer case - 2.5:1
Fuel Containment-------------------------- SpyderOffRoad custom fuel cell

BODY/INTERIOR
Skid Plate/Material-------------------------- 1/2" 6061 aluminum
Floors/Firewalls----------------------------- sheet metal main floor/expanded metal outer/aluminum console
Dash/Gauges/Switches-------------------- Aluminun dash, custom Dakota Digital gauge cluster, marine switch panel
Steering Column/Wheel------------------- SOR steering column, Grant wheel
Pedal Assembly/Brakes------------------- Wilwood dual cylinder brakes
Seats/Harnesses---------------------------- Corbeau Baja XP heated seats/Corbeau 5 point harnesses

MISC:
Aeromotive Phantom 340 intank fuel pump kit
Canton 3 quart oil accumulator
(2) derale cylinder steering coolers
Derale transmission cooler with fan
Pioneer stereo with Pioneer amp integrated into roof
Rigid Dually flood lights (red)
Extreme LED 30" light bar

Soooo I started out just wanting fix some of the bent bars and then cleaning it up a little:

And like most of y'all already know - that buggy was Ol Orange. It was in ROUGH shape, and would have taken a LOT to get where I wanted it. After I thought about it more, I decided not to waste all the time fixing the rig. So I decided to use certain the parts off of the buggy and build a new chassis. I sold the chassis and a few parts... but when I took a closer look at the parts there, I ended up deciding to change damn near everything.

SO I started collecting parts. I figured I'd start with the axles. My first thought was a set of 14 bolts front and rear. I later changed that and decided on Dana 80s:

My original idea was to have 2" 47 spline RCVs with WideOpen Designs knuckles and Cs and Ouverson Super 8s. While I was waiting for all this stuff, I came across Patooyee's Dana 80's and Rockwell 2.5 ton outers already machined and ready to go for sale on here. So I bought that and cancelled my WOD and Ouverson orders.

By this time, I had already changed my mind a few different times... but Clyde @ SpyderOffroad decided to go ahead and start building the frame rails while I started collecting my parts:

Clyde also put the Dana 80s on a diet plan and cut them up for driver drop front and rear:

Parts:

The wife doesn't love cold weather, but loves to ride. So I got heated Corbeau seats. I don't know if they'll work when it's really cold enough to use em, but I plan on finding out:

FOX coilovers

2" 7075 links with 1.25" heim joints

I decided that since I was going with Dana 80s, I might as well go with a straight drive case too ;D:

I had a picture of the PSC steering stuff (single ended ram, front only), but I ended up going with front and rear steer with a kit that PSC put together for me according to what I wanted and what Clyde told them - and everyone I talked to said to go with double ended rams, so I did... I just didn't take any pics of it.

I had an LQ9 that I bought, but a deal on a motor just kinda "fell" into my lap, so I decided to look into it.

Since this is a SpyderOffRoad build... we wanted to make sure it was unique, and I left the design 100% up to Clyde. I've only put in my .02 cents worth if there was something that I just REALLY don't/didn't like... which hasn't happened too much to be honest. At any rate... looks like it's growing legs and spinning a web:

making the profab fit:

view from the back:

test dummies:

Then I changed my mind again - the motor in there was a turbo Ligenfelter built Grand National 3.8. As I understand it (from the guy who owned it), it is the only one that they've ever built. Supposedly made crazy HP numbers... but I decided against it for a few different reasons and went back to an LS motor.

Mounting the radiator:

There was a little bit of a lul for a while... I got engaged and then married and the whole time I was gathering more parts.

Fast forward a little bit... not a whole lot of pics while doing some of the little stuff.

Clyde wasn't a fan of the roofline, so he lowered it and made it flat:

Here are a couple of pics of the rear... you can see the rockwell outers (we have since flipped the knuckles forward to put steering in front of the rear axle) with brakes at the wheel - let's not miss the full on Spyder :afro:

random pic with the grill out:

Raceline forged double beadlocks wrapped with 43" stickies:

LS:

Beaverlick Speedshop driveshafts - 1480 ujoints:

dakota digital gauge cluster:

Headers:

roughing in the dash, console and floor:

Wilwood 6 piston brakes:

Added a few more bars:

Another pic of the added bars:

Breaking it down to finish welding up. The going to clean up and take to Powdercoat... should be at Ricks PowderCoating by next Monday:

And that's all I've got right now... Clyde welded the truss and mounts to the axle, but he's sending the axles to be nickel rod welded to ensure strength (I think) and then those will head to powdercoat also.

The gas tank in this thing is BIG and should last all day riding and then some probably... no pics of that because that's being welded up also, and I just never took any pictures of it.

I was trying to have it done for the finals, but that obviously didn't happen... so now I'm shooting for by the end of the year. Hopefully it'll get done before!

I'll post up more pics when I get around to taking a few more - when there's a little more progress.

Eddyj said:
Nice. :afro:
The axles done yet?

Thanks!

The housings are all put together and the RCVs are just sitting on Clyde's shop waiting to be put together.

Still have some welding to be done on the housings, but that should be done this week or the next and then they'll be off to powdercoat.

al1tonyota said:
Wow a build thread on a buggy that will maybe be finished in a couple years!

:flipoff1: I should have known you'd say something Adam, but you got me there - It's damn sure taken me a that long!! We're actually still waiting on Stazworks rear steer, electric over hyd, with return to center stuff to come in. Been waiting for a few months now, but that's pretty much the only thing that we're waiting on now.

Getting engaged and then married kinda took my focus off of it for a while, along with everything else... but with a little luck, it shouldn't be much longer before it's done!

You plan on getting off that tractor anytime soon and getting back into one?

Very cool rig! Unique look for sure, with all of the buggies out there these days it's starting to get hard to tell them apart, not another one out there looks like this...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++very bad ass build but pretty diapointed to not see a supercharged AMG engine in there

ATX780 said:
:flipoff1: I should have known you'd say something Adam, but you got me there - It's damn sure taken me a that long!! We're actually still waiting on Stazworks rear steer, electric over hyd, with return to center stuff to come in. Been waiting for a few months now, but that's pretty much the only thing that we're waiting on now.

Getting engaged and then married kinda took my focus off of it for a while, along with everything else... but with a little luck, it shouldn't be much longer before it's done!

You plan on getting off that tractor anytime soon and getting back into one?
Nah no plans as of right now but you'll let me show you how to drive yours right?

wannabe said:
++very bad ass build but pretty diapointed to not see a supercharged AMG engine in there

We looked into the mercedes engines but there were a few reasons why we didn't go that route:
- the cost of the AMG engines
- the amount of HP that you could get was it
- not being able to build it futher without spending major $$ and sending it off
- the programming that would be required to make it run properly (based off of what we were told)
- parts availability and cost

Trust me, we wanted to go that route. As a matter of fact, Clydes dad owns a mercedes shop that adjoins the SpyderOffroad shop.

As far as the engine that's in it right now, it's a built LS 6.0 - but there are plans already in the works to go to a bigger motor - would like to go to a 427 or an LSX454. That why I built the drivetrain the way I did - to handle more HP. But right now, I just want this thing to run and drive... And I'll swap motors sometime later.