• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai Transfer Case is winning

WHIZARD

Guys I'm about to lose my mind on this one, it has to be something simple that my dumbass isn't doing correctly.

I have a samurai case with new 6:5 gears that I busted at Hawk Pride. I pulled the busted case apart and the gears and everything are still in great condition. So I buy a used case from a guy and when I start cleaning it up notice it has a small crack. I send it to a friend to weld the case up, and he did a great job. Put the case back together and it wouldn't stay in gear, so I pull it apart again. Put it back together and installed it again and the case will not shift into 2h and the front will not pull in 4L or 4H. You can tell that it wants to pull but just will not turn the front driveshaft, the front driveshaft spins a little but will not pull the front tires. It is like it is not engaging completely. I know the hubs and front axles are good because I checked them. I will be the first to admit that I am no expert, this was my first time to pull a sammi case apart so it is probably just something simple I am overlooking. I need help from someone who knows a little more about these cases than myself.

Any tips or tech that you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I am to the point where I am willing to pay someone to pull it apart and put it back together the right way while I watch :****:.

Also, everything still looked good when I put it together this time. Gears were good, bearings are good, as far as I can tell everything is good except for my dumbass and apparently my process of putting it back together. I honestly feel like I put everything together correctly, I really took my time and went step by step with instructions from trail gear. There has to be something freaking simple that I am overlooking. Maybe a shifter seat? ???

Yeah, I was going to say to check your shifter sheet since it is the easiest.
Is it possible your front output shaft is broken? Mine broke a month ago and it was doing about the same thing.
If you want to check, you can pull the front output without removing the whole case.

jeff150 said:
Yeah, I was going to say to check your shifter sheet since it is the easiest.
Is it possible your front output shaft is broken? Mine broke a month ago and it was doing about the same thing.
If you want to check, you can pull the front output without removing the whole case.

I'll check the shifter sheet first. I know that front output wasn't broken when I put it back together. So it would've had to break when I backed the buggy out of the shop last night to test. It seems to really want to engage but just doesn't quite get there.

Re:

Trail gear has good videos you can watch on you tube, that's what I did on my Toyota case, they will show you step by step how to assemble it, makes it super easy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Just thinking out loud...make sure the front output still has the little nub on the backside of the gear. These can be installed without that nub but when you apply pressure it will move out of line and cause similar issues.

What transfercase cradle are you using? Depending on what motor,tires,etc it may not be the cases fault for breaking. Your mounts could be binding the case not letting it shift and what caused your case to break. I had a sami with a 1.6 linked with 38's and could bounce it all day on rocks on tje limiter and never had a problem breaking a case. I used the mighty kong cradle? Jist a thought

Re:

zukimaster said:
Trail gear has good videos you can watch on you tube, that's what I did on my Toyota case, they will show you step by step how to assemble it, makes it super easy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I will check this out. Thanks Chad!

Rjhoward32006 said:
What transfercase cradle are you using? Depending on what motor,tires,etc it may not be the cases fault for breaking. Your mounts could be binding the case not letting it shift and what caused your case to break. I had a sami with a 1.6 linked with 38's and could bounce it all day on rocks on tje limiter and never had a problem breaking a case. I used the mighty kong cradle? Jist a thought

I'm now using a custom cradle built by rckcrler (Mo), it is built kinda like the LowRange EOS Extreme cradle with a spline. The case never broke until I put a mighty kong on it, it literally broke the first ride out with it. I'm not knocking the mighty kong, but my experience wasn't good with one.

jeff150 said:
What did you figure out?

Pulled the case out and ordered a few parts for it, (shifter sheet, detent spring an ball) it's on the bench now but I'm waiting on the parts to show before I tear it down again.

The shifter sheet was cracked on two sides though, I've heard that this could be a possible cause of my issue.