• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Samurai Transfer Case Slop and Chatter

L

lowbudgetjunk

I am having some rotational noise come from my transfer case. I also feel like there is excessive play from input all the way through to output that has a slight chatter/clunk as you rotate through. It isn't binding or catching, just noisy. I once had a similar case with 4.xx gears in it and it felt tighter and didn't have any clunking noises as I rotated the input shaft by hand.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good article on Sami Transfer cases with 6.5 gears? If not, got any rules of thumb for how noisy the gear set should be or how much play to expect? I am doing a bunch of long due routine maintenance (u-joints, tightening bolts, changing fluids, etc) so I am probably just going to get a bearing kit for the case and replace all of them too. I just want to know what to expect once I get it all back together. I'll get a video in a bit of the slop/play. The noise doesn't show up unless under load in 4wd. I spun it as fast as my hands would go and no noise outside of the vehicle.

Re:

They do make a little noise but there should not be play in the front it probly needs barings

I'm assuming it needs bearings because of the slop but as far as noise goes I had 6.5 case that was whining, I drained the fluid and filled it with Lucas and didn't have any issues again.

Good deal. Lucas it is and the bearings too. Thanks for the quick replies. Still gives me time to get the parts shipped today.

Whelp, I thought I had this all figured out and was going to have it shipped today. I have found this kit from Trail Gear, which is $10 cheaper from East Coast Gear Supply. Then there's this one from Ebay, which makes me wonder if someone just sourced the bearings, seals and bought in bulk. Which brings me to....what do I really need to get? The only difference that I can see from the 'stock' photos, is that there is some type of extra bearing showing in the Ebay kit. I don't mind spending an extra $50 bucks if there is a reason for it. It is pretty hard to justify it, if it is just because it has TG name on it.

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/T-Case_Rebuild_Kit__Major_Sami/i_0_0_969/_105038-3-KIT.aspx#.VpcFGXgorao

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Samurai-Transfer-Case-Rebuild-Kit-4x4-5spd-Trans-/220332109075?hash=item334cd12d13

Looks like an equal kit the extra bearing is a pilot bearing for the trans?

Edit pilot bearing is for the rear of the front output shaft! Learned something new!

That makes me feel like I just need to pull it apart and see if I need the whole kit or just the basic rebuild. I truly only want to do this once and get it right. Hopefully Nathan will let me borrow his press once I figure out what all is getting replaced.

Thanks for the other small parts list Adam. Looks like I can pick up a few odds and ends if I need them without having to buy unnecessary junk.

Re:

Pull it apart.
It's easy, and you have to anyways...

There used to be directions on trail gears website

sent from an anus from an asus

Check youtube for a video, Trail gear had a very good one for a Toyota 4.7 gear install, I carried a Ipad out to the shop and put it together rite along with the video.

Re:

zukimaster said:
Check youtube for a video, Trail gear had a very good one for a Toyota 4.7 gear install, I carried a Ipad out to the shop and put it together rite along with the video.

I thought about that as a possibility. I'll see if I can find a decent video.

ecoast said:
Pull it apart.
It's easy, and you have to anyways...

There used to be directions on trail gears website

sent from an anus from an asus

The internet is cockblocking me ordering a kit....seems like I will end up tearing it apart before ordering, as per the offroad gods. Paypal shut down and then my debit card was shut down. :dunno:

Don't forget to shim the gears.

Unshimed or not properlyshimed gears are waeker/make more noise.

Latest posts