• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SBC guru's....need some help.

Draco

I got an older model 350 that I tore down, cleaned up and put a cam in. I pulled the heads and cleaned them in a parts washer. I got everything back together and I can't get it to crank. Its blowing warm air and all the gas its trying to feed out of the top of the carb. I've set the time and got the valves close to right. Still can't get anything but warm air and gas blown everywhere. It backfires now and then, but its only a slight pop through the open headers.

I've ran out of ideas....

How fast is it cranking over if its real fast like it has no load on it you've got the valves to tight.Take your valve cover back off of the drivers side and make sure you've got the timing set after the intake valve closes.If both of them are right sounds like the cam is not degreed right.

FroggF350 said:
Make sure #1 piston is top dead center on the intake stroke and not the exhaust stroke. You may be 180* out on your timing.

At TDC both the valves are in the up position. (From the front of the motor, the first 2 valves on driver side.) How do I figure out which "stroke" is which? May be my problem, with the warm air blowing out of the carb.

Extra info:
At TDC the mark on the harmonic balancer is at the first degree mark from the right on the timing cover....the rotor is also pointing at number 1 plug.

sounds like you need to re adjust your valves. re check your firing order. you timing is definitely off, either by valves or firing. just some ideas. what kind of cam did you put in it?

Its a melling cam. I think the timing is off by valves. I got another set of eyes coming to look at today....maybe we'll get it. I'm bout tired of fooling with the damn thing at this point.

Cranking it over you can watch the valve that lines up with the intake port go open and then closed then make sure the piston is on top. Just make sure watch the right valve. when both valves are closed if its a hydraulic cam just turn the pushrods with your fingers while you tighten up the valves do this till they stop turning. You should be able to push down on the pushrod side of the rocker arm and move it a bit when its right if not you've got them to tight.This is allowing that you primed the lifters to begin with. If you do this on all of the rockers and your timing is right should fire right up

Pull the plug on the #1 cyl. and have someone turn the engine over by hand with your thumb blocking the plug hole. When you feel air pressure trying to push your thumb out its on the compression stroke. Then stick a small screwdriver in the hole and just lightly rest it on the piston and feel whent he piston reaches top. Now go look at your distributor. If the rotor isn't pointing at the #1 contact on the cap it needs to be. Adjust distributor until it does. I bet your 180* out. Common mistake. I made it once or twice when I first started working on rigs.

J. J.

Just cause the piston is on top doesn't mean it's on compression stroke it comes up twice once for compression once for exhaust you need to check your timing marks on balancer or watch the vavles

Latest posts