• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Scan Tools

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
So I recently got "service abs and electronic braking system" messages on my 2018 ram 3500. Internet searching confirmed what the dealership said that it needs a new abs module and hydraulic control unit. Apparently is a well known issue that the NHTSA has opened an investigation on. Hopefully results in a recall but who knows how long that will take. The dealership also said the hydraulic control unit is on backorder indefinitely.

I'm pretty sure I found the parts but the job requires triggering a sequence through the computer to bleed the ABS system via a scan tool. Saw one video where a guy did it through his laptop. So I'm curious if anyone knows what sort of unit I'd need to do this myself. Dealer quoted $1700 to do it, when they can get the parts. But $900 of that is labor, I'd rather invest that 900 (preferably much less) in a tool that would allow me to do it myself and that could be useful down the road.

Not sure if it translates to Ram, but @Bebop had to go through ABS module and triggering certain things on his 8.1 gas truck to troubleshoot a brake issue. Hopefully he can chime in and drop some knowledge.

So the backordered part shows up as available on mopars site. I called to confirm and much to the surprise of the guy helping me, there's only 150 units in the country and they're all reserve allocated or something like that. Basically means they can't be released due to a potential issue. I've heard others tell tales of having the brakes randomly lock up on them, even on the highway so I'm guessing that's a safety concern they'd like to address before shipping anything out. This blows. I've basically got an 8000 lb driveway ornament with no end in sight. And I can't even sell it with these issues....

That stinks. Any idea what's causing those items to quit/malfunction etc?

Would be curious if you could get a good one off a truck at the junkyard.

Check out AlfaOBD and JScan apps for android. I use both of them with Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6. JScan was free in Google store and easier to use but required a $25 license for vehicle. You have to buy the AlfaOBD app but there is no license fee. I used JScan to do the ABS bleed on my JKU and change parameters when I did 1 tons and an LS swap. They also do speedo corrections for tire size swaps among other things. I downloaded them on an older phone that I did a factory reset on so none of my banking info could be stolen. A cheap Android tablet would work great with them. There are several YouTube videos on them.

So the Chrysler/Jeep/RAM stuff is some of the worst to access the actually port that gives you the ability to clear codes/make changes and requires a yearly license. Yes there is a port under the dash but it will only allow you to check codes, the other one is usually behind the radio or console area.

That stinks. Any idea what's causing those items to quit/malfunction etc?

Would be curious if you could get a good one off a truck at the junkyard.
I'm assuming a bad batch made for 2017-18. They use the same parts from 12-18, then changed in 19. I found a wrecked 18 that the salvage yard wants $300 for the unit. Might go that route but also expecting a recall sooner or later so part of me wants to wait and see. The truck sits most of the time. Only use it to haul or our yearly beach trip in june.

I'm not gonna drop names but a buddy reached out with a loaner scan tool if I do end up tackling this myself. Appreciate the suggestions though.

Latest posts