• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on 4.3.

probably 98+

good solid motors. easily found in all s10s and some base (w/t) model silverados

4l60e behind many of them

I've got a 94 chevy with the vortec 4.3. It's a good running and driving truck, body is rough. I'll take $1000 for it.

muddinmetal said:
87-93ish are.... after that comes the much more complicated & powerful vortec motors
. Would it be hard to set the vortec ones up as a plug and play? Will I have to have the computer flashed etc?

Re: School me on 4.3.

Its not an easy cheap swap but super reliable. The typhoon guys are running late model marine intakes because they are the only 4.3s that offer true external multi port. Then you can run all of the small block injectors for any tune. The drawback is now you have to be able to tune and control them so that's more money but more power and fine tune ability.

I think.....big boy meant to say spider style, buried under the intake leaky bastard injectors?

Here is what I would do... COMPLETE 87-93ish motor (tb to pan) with shaved vortec heads and Edelbrock tbi intake with everything else factory gm... Should make close to 200 hp, super simple wiring, & very very reliable

muddinmetal said:
Here is what I would do... COMPLETE 87-93ish motor (tb to pan) with shaved vortec heads and Edelbrock tbi intake with everything else factory gm... Should make close to 200 hp, super simple wiring, & very very reliable

That is how mine is built. Plus a larger cam and tune using TBI. It works well. But!
For the money invested LS swaps get way more bang for the buck. Wish I would have gone that route and will asap.

87-95 are available as a tbi. 92-95 they are available as tbi and cpi or what some call spider injection, which has a vortec label across the top of the intake. 96+ are the mpfi and are different from the prior models. 87-91 are all tbi, 92-95 could be tbi or cpi and the intakes will interchange. 87-92 could be had with 700r4 or 4l60 non electronic control. 93+ have electronic controlled transmission if a automatic. 95 is the least sought after computer wise as it is the obd 1.5, but the engine can be swapped for other year models. All if I have comes from experience with my own vehicles, in the junk yards, and LOTS of reading here http://www.s10extremist.org/forums/ and other s10 forums.

My favorite combo is a 92-95 cpi bottom end with a tbi intake. The cpi "generally" have a slightly hotter cam according to others that have dynoed or rebuilt their engines but I have no data experience here but from seat of the pants.

RustyC said:
That is how mine is built. Plus a larger cam and tune using TBI. It works well. But!
For the money invested LS swaps get way more bang for the buck. Wish I would have gone that route and will asap.

I have thought of this too. Since the 5.3 and the 4.3 are based off 350 blocks shouldt the transmission bolt up?

skipnrocks said:
I have thought of this too. Since the 5.3 and the 4.3 are based off 350 blocks shouldt the transmission bolt up?

The transmission will bolt right up, but a 350 & 5.3 have almost nothing in common, they are of a completely different architecture... A 4.3 however is just a 350 with two cylinders taken off

If I were you, and had the room, just go with a 350. bolts right up to where the 4.3 was, just as cheap, if not cheaper, and alot more power!

zukimaster said:
If I were you, and had the room, just go with a 350. bolts right up to where the 4.3 was, just as cheap, if not cheaper, and alot more power!

Dumb question for you after this comment. Ive got a 4.3 in my buggy right now and been thinking about going to a 350 but didnt want to have to rework my motor mounts. So if you pull a 4.3 out, a 350 will bolt up right in its place? In other words, I know it will bolt to my TH350 trans but the motor mounts are located the same on both motors? So I wouldn't have to make new mounts for the 350 to bolt up?

Latest posts