• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on bump stops

jeeppoor

Looking to try and pick up a set for the front of the juggy. Hopefully get a set on sale for black Friday.
how do I measure for the correct size? Mounting I see there are couple different mounting cans. clam style and pin. Which style is better and why?
They will be going on a juggy that rock crawls and does see a little road time.

Get some 2.0x2

Don't need anything bigger unless you're pulling huge amounts of travel and like to go fast.

Pin top mount is the best because they are easy to install and remove. They're more expensive and generally not in stock.

That's what I use on my rig and I really like them.

What's the drawbacks of 2.0 x 3", 6" of uptravel? Not looking at jumping but can never rule it out.

What's the drawbacks of 2.0 x 3", 6" of uptravel? Not looking at jumping but can never rule it out.

I'm guessing they end up being an additional stiff spring in most of your up travel
Don't know a whole lot about the "how to" of bump stops, but Marks description is pretty accurate of an additional exponentially stiffer spring.

bumps are just there to slow the rigs travel down in a hurry at the very end of the travel to keep from damaging your coilovers, etc. You shouldnt be riding on them if possible. On a rig with only 5 inches of shaft showing, a 4 inch bump stop will only have 1 inch of clearance before you start getting into the bump stop under most riding conditions. Not a big deal for rigs that are launching and taking a big hit, but not ideal for a rig that is taking it slower. Should only have two inches of travel in the bump stop.

If you buy 4 inch travel you can usually install an internal spacer and limit them to 2.

bumps are just there to slow the rigs travel down in a hurry at the very end of the travel to keep from damaging your coilovers, etc. You shouldnt be riding on them if possible. On a rig with only 5 inches of shaft showing, a 4 inch bump stop will only have 1 inch of clearance before you start getting into the bump stop under most riding conditions. Not a big deal for rigs that are launching and taking a big hit, but not ideal for a rig that is taking it slower. Should only have two inches of travel in the bump stop.

If you buy 4 inch travel you can usually install an internal spacer and limit them to 2.
Yep, I have this issue. Mine are being sent to Wizzo to be short stroked.

You can always drop the bump pressure as necessary to. Ghetto, I know, but works for me. 200 psi will beat the crap out of you on a lower uptravel rig. Its like hitting a wall.

You can always drop the bump pressure as necessary to. Ghetto, I know, but works for me. 200 psi will beat the crap out of you on a lower uptravel rig. Its like hitting a wall.
Sounds like my rig. Need a kidney belt In The rocks but it works

Our juggy came with 4-4" bump stops that had these massive bump stop pads that were built up 3-4" total.

So at ride height there was 1/2" of up travel before getting into the bumps. Needless to say it was very stable but rode like a 4-linked, air shocked log truck. For my riding style just took the bump stops out instead of shortening my them at around $100 per bump at that time.

Get some 2.0x2

Don't need anything bigger unless you're pulling huge amounts of travel and like to go fast.

Pin top mount is the best because they are easy to install and remove. They're more expensive and generally not in stock.

That's what I use on my rig and I really like them.
Maybe (probably) I'm a shitty fab guy, but I'm paranoid I'll warp some pin top cans when welding them. What's the draw back to a pinch style with a stop welded up top for a pin type? At least then if it distorts when welding it has a full length relief cut to allow the bump to come in and out

Can't say I've have had the issue and I'm not a badass fab guy by any means.
I read you could use a hone to clean up the ID in case the bumpstop doesn't fit.

On the other hand, in my limited experience, taking the bumpstops out of a pinch style mount that has been clamped for a few years is a massive PITA, across the board.

Can't say I've have had the issue and I'm not a badass fab guy by any means.
I read you could use a hone to clean up the ID in case the bumpstop doesn't fit.

On the other hand, in my limited experience, taking the bumpstops out of a pinch style mount that has been clamped for a few years is a massive PITA, across the board.
I guess if I did warp it, I could cut a seam in it vertically and make it pinch style, or go with ballistic's can that blends both.

Attachments

• D533493B-0621-464B-BFAA-CCB0A4BF0E3F.png
    D533493B-0621-464B-BFAA-CCB0A4BF0E3F.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 80
Maybe (probably) I'm a shitty fab guy, but I'm paranoid I'll warp some pin top cans when welding them. What's the draw back to a pinch style with a stop welded up top for a pin type? At least then if it distorts when welding it has a full length relief cut to allow the bump to come in and out
Just come over and cut the pinch style can mounts off the juggy for reusing on your rig.

This is exactly what happened to me. Warped the hell out of them. Wore out 2 sets of stones with the hone and still didn't fit. Ended up making a slice.
Sucks that that happened to you, but I'm glad you posted. It was enough to push me to take a chance buying from ballistic. Surely they've improved since they ruined their name back in the pirate4x4 days right?

Latest posts