• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on drones

pholmann

I'm thinking about getting a drone. I don't exactly know why. Probably because I'm a freakin kid still. I'm not really looking to spend a fortune on something I may use a few times and get bored with it. I would like to be able to take some video of the farm and wheeling. I don't need any professional ****. Just don't want something that will break after I use it once. What's yalls opinions.

pholmann said:
I'm thinking about getting a drone. I don't exactly know why. Probably because I'm a freakin kid still. I'm not really looking to spend a fortune on something I may use a few times and get bored with it. I would like to be able to take some video of the farm and wheeling. I don't need any professional ****. Just don't want something that will break after I use it once. What's yalls opinions.

My gay neighbor has one. Spend the money on a 14 bolt.

lol I've got two. A $30 cheapo off amazon and a blade chroma. The chroma is the big money one that my father in law and myself split. We have filmed a few random events with it. Overall it's good, flies smooth but definitely has its qwerks. I don't like the video for anything lower than 75-100'. It looks like crap. Scenery and high up aerial shots are amazing.

The $30 one is awesome. I've beat that thing to a living pulp. Zero issues. I've buried in snow...4x. Smacked it into everything. Flew it up to 200' and shut it off. Crashed, I hit the throttle and it took off and flew again with no problem. Only issue with these is the short battery life. 7-10 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: School me on drones

The Luke said:
lol I've got two. A $30 cheapo off amazon and a blade chroma. The chroma is the big money one that my father in law and myself split. We have filmed a few random events with it. Overall it's good, flies smooth but definitely has its qwerks. I don't like the video for anything lower than 75-100'. It looks like crap. Scenery and high up aerial shots are amazing.

The $30 one is awesome. I've beat that thing to a living pulp. Zero issues. I've buried in snow...4x. Smacked it into everything. Flew it up to 200' and shut it off. Crashed, I hit the throttle and it took off and flew again with no problem. Only issue with these is the short battery life. 7-10 min.

What the range on those units?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cheaper is about 250'

Furthest I've flown the chroma out is about 2k feet. The video feed is lost at that point. It's still recording, you just can't view it on the screen.

Honestly, if I was buying a good one again. Dji all day long. They're tough and flat out work. The chroma has all kinds of cool features. But a lot of bugs to still work out. I highly recommend if you're thinking of buying one and have never flown one before, buy a cheap one and take it out in an open field and learn to fly it. The expensive ones damn near fly themselves. But if you can make a couple laps around the yard and not crash every 12 seconds, then you'll be a pro with an expensive drone.

Re:

Not sure what price range your looking, but I'm in a similar boat. My BIL is really big into drones and making videos so I've been picking his brain.

He has a DJI Mavic and it is badass. The other DJI units are also nice and they have one for different price ranges. He said that he would buy a Yuneec if he didn't have a DJI. The GoPro one looked promising, but they were pulled for losing power.

From his feedback, Return to home and FPV are the 2 most important features to look for. Follow me and Obstacle Avoidance are the next in line, for me. To get everything you are in the 1k+ range. You can get some of those for much less. Also, do you want it to have its own camera or carry a gopro? That makes a diff in price.

I have a dji phantom 3. They are really simple to fly and self land exactuly where it took off from all depends on how much you wanna spend think you can pick these up around 5-700$ now a lot better than the 1300$ they used to be .

DJI Phanton 3 Advanced or better.

FYI I have a 14 bolt for sale.

The chroma has all the same features. I think we spent 800 on drone, 1080 camera, case, charger and 2 batteries. My only complaint with the "home" or self landing button is that it doesn't avoid obstacles once you hit it. It just makes a straight line back to you. Whatever that might over or through.

The in-laws got me a really nice one for Christmas ....... The only thing I have figure out so far ... It is really hard to break , because I have crashed it about 100 times already !!

Re: Re: School me on drones

gdf said:
The in-laws got me a really nice one for Christmas ....... The only thing I have figure out so far ... It is really hard to break , because I have crashed it about 100 times already !!
So, what you're saying is that you fly like you drive? Molaugh