• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Yotas

LightBnDr

Im wanting to swap a yota tcase in place of my 231 I have now. It's behind a 42re grand Cherokee Trans.

My questions are:

1. Is it as easy as buying an adapter to mount this yota case in place?
2. What model cases are good or bad or are they all virtually the same internally? ( thinking of mid 80s cases because they are easily available)
3. Are they gear driven?
4. Can I take an OEM case and buy a gearset to get near a 4:5 ratio?
5. Can I use any existing yokes i have to maintain my current u joints?

I realize a lot of these questions can be answered online. We have soccer games tonight so I wont be able to get online to research. Im the worst at busting balls on lazy people but I truly have zero experience with yotas and would really like to be schooled.

Thanks

LightBnDr said:
Im wanting to swap a yota tcase in place of my 231 I have now. It's behind a 42re grand Cherokee Trans.

My questions are:

1. Is it as easy as buying an adapter to mount this yota case in place?
2. What model cases are good or bad or are they all virtually the same internally? ( thinking of mid 80s cases because they are easily available)
3. Are they gear driven?
4. Can I take an OEM case and buy a gearset to get near a 4:5 ratio?
5. Can I use any existing yokes i have to maintain my current u joints?

I realize a lot of these questions can be answered online. We have soccer games tonight so I wont be able to get online to research. Im the worst at busting balls on lazy people but I truly have zero experience with yotas and would really like to be schooled.

Thanks

1) ?
2) Pretty much the same from 70s to early 90s ish
3) Yes
4) 4.7to1 is a very common Yota ratio
5) Toyota's use flanges, not yokes

Not sure what you're planning here. If you are wanting a passenger side drop a Dana 300 would be a much better option. 23 spline input same as np231. 4.1 gearset is an aftermarket option. Your 231 yokes fit the Dana 300 as well.

So theres an important question. Lol

Are yotas pass drop? If so whoops. Maybe thats why I never thought about it before.

Neal3000 and Rusty, I run a 231 with a Tera low. Absolute garbage. I put a planetary in it once a year.

I'am very limited on space and I mean seriously limited!!

Im driver drop, and my lower link mount truss in my chassis is 1/4" from the back of my t case so D300 is out for an easy swap and any tcase including a 241OR is too long from mounting flange to rear case half and there is not enough material for me to cut or grind to make it fit.

An atlas so far has been the only option. Then all of a sudden I thought about a yota or sami case.

I was in between cars I was working on and texting a couple buddies about some cases when I posted the thread. I couldnt get any specific answers and was pressed for time. So I haven't done any research yet. Ha

On the way to games now. Thanks for the info guys. Keep it comin

I know it's still weird, but trail gear does make a driver drop tcase now. Still not sure why you'd go yota in that rig though...

I'd be inclined to think you've ruined the 231 case somehow, maybe its swelled from breaking so many times… I've seen 231's take plenty of beatings on 40 inch tires no problem they are way better cases than most give credit for… like muddin said…241OR would be a much better swap… yoter cases break too

Agreed a 2.72...231 will take an absolute beating but a 4:1 can't handle daily driving on 31s. Fact

Cant do a 241 because of space. I'm limited to a D300 but it's pass drop. I need drive drop.

Sorry guys. I'll do my research. Lol. Was pressed for time earlier.

I removed a NP231 and put in a flipped Dana 30 using a clocking ring.
Not 100% sure but I really think a Dana 300 is shorter than the Np231.
One more option is to disassemble your case and install a NP241 planetarty.
They have 6 planet gears instead of 3.

Ok so my #1 mistake was forgetting yota is pass drop. Whoops. I have battled this swap idea for a couple years now but for some reason completely forgot that.

So after I researched it, found that Tacoma were the only production driver drops. Also saw the trail gear driver drop case. Pretty much after buying an adapter and no way to clock it I think i would have trouble with bottom of the case hanging below my belly.

Yes you're right rusty the d300 is shorter. It would fit no problem into my area. The issue I ran into was after I either bought a 300 and built it with 4:1 and an adopter/clocking ring I'm at least 1k plus and buying one already built is around the same maybe more. Then I have to work out the shifting of the case issues plus driveshafts.

In the end I'm better off buying atlas for another 1k :(

Thank you guys for your help and pointers.

To retain the 4:1 low ratio I cant swap any planetary on the market into my 231 case. The problem is the design by Teraflex. Its great on paper but just can't handle real use.

I read the marlin tcase bible and that pretty much summed it all up for me.

Thanks again for everybodys response

There have been many built already flipped 300 s I've seen sell on here for under a G, shifters and all.

I'm definitely open to new ideas. I haven't seen them but probably because I'm not looking. I'll pay closer attention.

Are most of the d300s a standard 23 spline input for Chryslers?