• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Searched to death, grooving stickies sx

skipnrocks

I dont want anything extreme, I was going to just cut the big center lug in half. But though I would pose it here since I believe this has to have the highest concentration of sx stickies running.

Did you groove them?
Did it improve them?
How did you groove them?(style)

We have been running a set for the past year where we just cut the center lug into 2 pieces directly across the tire. We think we see an improvement. The tire seems to be able to flex a little easier while running a little higher pressure. The buggy weighs appx 4500 lbs, were running around 4 to 5 psi originally, now see the same traction at 7 psi.

Buggy is for tight technical stuff but fun to go fast when space allows. 7 psi really helped it drive better.

Tread wear, chunking, hasn't really been an issue. The cut lugs are looking similar to the other lugs.

We used a sawzall with a wood blade, took second blade and welded to it to make double wide cuts. Really only 1/4" at best.

I am close to finishing mine and will prob cut before i ever hit the trails

JEEPKEVIN said:
We have been running a set for the past year where we just cut the center lug into 2 pieces directly across the tire. We think we see an improvement. The tire seems to be able to flex a little easier while running a little higher pressure. The buggy weighs appx 4500 lbs, were running around 4 to 5 psi originally, now see the same traction at 7 psi.

Buggy is for tight technical stuff but fun to go fast when space allows. 7 psi really helped it drive better.

Tread wear, chunking, hasn't really been an issue. The cut lugs are looking similar to the other lugs.

We used a sawzall with a wood blade, took second blade and welded to it to make double wide cuts. Really only 1/4" at best.

I did the same thing and have similar opinions. Used a groover though.

JEEPKEVIN said:

That is good to know. Cutting that center lug in half was where I was leaning also. I like the idea of being able to run 7 psi ish because my belly is so low it would be nice to have a little additional clearance. I have a groover, I also thought of using a chain saw. I used one with a previous sx2 non sticky and it was slick, but makes me nervous with a tire that costs so much.

Well I woke up early and set out to the shop excited to groove my tires. That excitement quickly faded as these sticky tires started bending blades left and right on the cheap groover that worked so great in the past. A tire that would take 40 min to cut the center lugs into three and the outers into two and only use 2 blades per tire now I'm through a pack just for the first tire. So I went to my old friend Mr chain saw. That was a fail. The rubber too soft to chunk out. I have a buddy with the fancy 600 dollar one he is going to loan me. Hope the next three tires go better.
50c771006646ba8c8c5db6485af8febc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Looks exactly like what we did but we had much narrower grooves. We were concerned about the tires chunking really bad so keep the gap narrow trying to just get the added flex. Tires have been all over Clayton, Burris, and Johnson Valley. Prob 12 to 15 wheeling trips and look good.

Several friends run sticky Treps and those tires with age really get tore up and seem to wear a lot quicker. They have way more edges with their tread design. We didn't want that scenario.

I could see that. Our local terrain is pretty soft with some sand stone rocks. I get more wear on my tires in a single trip to Moab then a years worth at home Wheeling. My last tires I wheeled for four years and we're still 90+ percent

How warm were the tires when you started grooving?

Normally it goes alot better when you get the tire nice and warm first.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk