• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Seatbelt tabs?

skipnrocks

I was wondering what your guises thoughts were on mounting the seatbelts to the seat tabs. In the case I'm thinking of I have a long travel billet aluminum seat sliders. And adjusting the travel all the time on your seatbelt is a giant pain in the butt as a kid switch positions. I don't see any reason not to mount the seatbelt with the seat tabs but thought maybe somebody else would have a different experience.

SBJeepn said:
I was wondering what your guises thoughts were on mounting the seatbelts to the seat tabs. In the case I'm thinking of I have a long travel billet aluminum seat sliders. And adjusting the travel all the time on your seatbelt is a giant pain in the butt as a kid switch positions. I don't see any reason not to mount the seatbelt with the seat tabs but thought maybe somebody else would have a different experience.

I dont see any issue with it either - only thing would be bolt size. Most seats are 3/8 bolts mounted and seatbelts are usually bigger...could maybe add some weld washers or something to the seatbelt to fill it up?

SBJeepn said:

In the warnings and instructions that came with my harnesses when they were new it said not to bolt to the seat or seat mount. Probably a safety thing. It would probably be fine though.

You're talking about counting on the sliders to hold you in the rig?.... if so NO WAY would I trust that

I dont have sliders and use the double shear seat tabs from RuffStuff and bolt my belts in to the seat mounts. I did drill out the hole just slightly on my PRPs and am running 1/2" grade 8s. I dont see an issue with it. Not sure what most governing race bodies say about it though.

the_white_shadow said:
I dont have sliders and use the double shear seat tabs from RuffStuff and bolt my belts in to the seat mounts. I did drill out the hole just slightly on my PRPs and am running 1/2" grade 8s. I dont see an issue with it. Not sure what most governing race bodies say about it though.

he definitely wouldnt pass tech at any legit race...but for trail riding, those alum billet sliders are just as strong as anything else. Its not ideal...but it would certainly work.

Bebop said:

That was good from what I think I read is the lap belt would be at a poor angle once the seat is slid forward and in order to have a proper seat belt angle it would have to be mobile somehow. Aside from a series of tabs I am not sure how to do that. but the seat has multiple bolts and a crap ton of aluminum holding them in place I still cant imagine it being an issue for trail riding. But would never want to make a mistake ending in an injury. So I am open to input and direction. But if its not a good idea I need an alternative one that will accommodate moving the kids often. Ranging from 5-12 so you can see the dramatic changes needed.

Only the driver's seat needs to be adjustable....
assuming a 4 seat rig give the kids assigned seats?
Install seatbelts with retractors on the shoulders so only the lap needs adjusted?
Use lighter belts... 2" adjust easier than 3" and you ain't hitting a wall at 200 mph?

Just a couple thoughts

FYI, my PRP lap belt has loads of adjustment available. Like a foot of extra when I'm cinched down. I use the same sliders but only move the seat a max of about 5" forward from my position so my wife can drive.

gottagofast said:
Only the driver's seat needs to be adjustable....
assuming a 4 seat rig give the kids assigned seats?
Install seatbelts with retractors on the shoulders so only the lap needs adjusted?
Use lighter belts... 2" adjust easier than 3" and you ain't hitting a wall at 200 mph?

Just a couple thoughts

So the rig is actually the kids rig, only the drivers seat adjusts and there are only two seats. So the four drivers range from 5 to 12 years old. I need to put pics on maybe its time I finally got taptalk. But hopefully that helps. Top speed of the rig is close to 55 if it was pegged at 6k rpm. but in reality it will be used for trails.

bgredjeep said:
FYI, my PRP lap belt has loads of adjustment available. Like a foot of extra when I'm cinched down. I use the same sliders but only move the seat a max of about 5" forward from my position so my wife can drive.

The prp belts are the ones I am using their awesome, the ones with the padded shoulders and the buckle in the lap instead of the pieces you have to click together. your right there is a lot of adjust ability just not easy especially the right hand side since those two seats pretty much touch.

Re: Re: Seatbelt tabs?

SBJeepn said:
The prp belts are the ones I am using their awesome, the ones with the padded shoulders and the buckle in the lap instead of the pieces you have to click together. your right there is a lot of adjust ability just not easy especially the right hand side since those two seats pretty much touch.
My plan for a future kids build is to make the pedals and steering wheel adjustable, so the seat can stay fixed.

Here's another option to consider

https://3built.com/collections/extended-range-remote-shut-off/products/res12vce-long-range-kit-for-vehicles-with-a-12-volt-starter-battery