• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

self employment

crawlin85cj said:
Very interesting perspective. If you're ever in North Texas come on by and I'll give you a tour of how it all works together in harmony and profitable. Not only do we manufacture trailers, we manufacture the equipment that rides on them along with repairs and parts sales. As if that's not enough mix, we operate a rental fleet as well, all under 1 roof. Every business segment is a profitable and a well executed venture. It certainly can be done effectively and be a great advantage to the business.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I am in texarkana, would love to come buy and see your place some time. Like i said im sure some places make it work, but that has not been the situation i have had to deal with for the past 19 years. I can see ways it would work, but most places ive been involved with do not have the discplien to do so. Where you have bussines segments, we do not, its all one and it sucks!!!

I know that when this gets going anything that remotely resembles what i do will be what i do! I've seen people turn paying jobs away because "thats not what they do". To me it sounds like making money isn't what they do!

I just run a machine shop, but I can tell you I turn away anything that does not go into a factory. The walk in quick fixes do nothing but cost me money.

Once you're up and running thats fine, but being a little guy just starting off I can't see me turning down much.

AdamF said:
Once you're up and running thats fine, but being a little guy just starting off I can't see me turning down much.
A smart guy told me once "Figure it out before they figure you out."

AdamF said:
I know that when this gets going anything that remotely resembles what i do will be what i do! I've seen people turn paying jobs away because "thats not what they do". To me it sounds like making money isn't what they do!

This pretty close, the big problem with our plant, is we were not built to to take on repairs. It could be done but repair should be its own venture, with a group of guys doing it. Customers waiting on there repairs, is why over 50% have begged me to open my own shop.

AdamF said:

We very rarely turn anything down. Fact is, there is a price point that makes every task profitable. Sometimes that price point doesn't have value for both parties and that's ok if you're honest with your customer. I'm not in business to walk from work we are equipped to handle and I'm not in business to loose money or break even. I make no attempt to hide the fact I run a for profit corporation and I intend to make a net profit on every single transaction. People tend to be shy about their intent to make money from a transaction with a customer.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

crawlin85cj said:
We very rarely turn anything down. Fact is, there is a price point that makes every task profitable. Sometimes that price point doesn't have value for both parties and that's ok if you're honest with your customer. I'm not in business to walk from work we are equipped to handle and I'm not in business to loose money or break even. I make no attempt to hide the fact I run a for profit corporation and I intend to make a net profit on every single transaction. People tend to be shy about their intent to make money from a transaction with a customer.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

Sounds luke a good plan to me!

Re:

Thank you sir for the honesty. I am in business to make a profit too. A sale without a profit is a gift. I am not in the business of giving gifts. I am in the business of generating money for myself and my employees.

I try to do so by turning a higher volume/lower price to keep them coming back, but the money is the driving factor.

I guess its just nice to be honest about it. Too many people want Wal-Mart Jewelry prices for Tiffany quality. I sell a product at a reasonable price to them, that is profitable to me. Win win.

Eric Hagan......I mean Kel Lawrence

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
Thank you sir for the honesty. I am in business to make a profit too. A sale without a profit is a gift. I am not in the business of giving gifts. I am in the business of generating money for myself and my employees.

A good friend of mine has this sign over his office door "Profit Is Not a Dirty Word".

Prime example of being ready to make a move and mentally prepared to sort it out profitably.

One of my Regional Managers received a call Monday from a gentleman he had been calling on. He had been trying to get some work from these folks for a couple months and the man called looking for a plastic pit liner. We don't sell pit liners, never have. The quick answer would have been no, the quick thinker's answer was "let me see what I can get done for you. How fast do you need it and can you give me 20 mins to call you back?" Having no idea where to order the product he first called a guy who called a guy. Bam, we have a source. A quick call to the supplier, a credit card number given right then followed by a return call to the customer with a YES and price. Sale made at a good margin and the entire transaction completed that day. Now we have a customer that calls, orders and is happy all because we say YES and establish a profitable point to satisfy the demand of a customer. I bet he calls back within the week looking for a core business product as the positive relationship has been established. Who knows, he may call today and order toilet paper. I don't care as long as they call.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

Re: Re: self employment

crawlin85cj said:
Prime example of being ready to make a move and mentally prepared to sort it out profitably.

One of my Regional Managers received a call Monday from a gentleman he had been calling on. He had been trying to get some work from these folks for a couple months and the man called looking for a plastic pit liner. We don't sell pit liners, never have. The quick answer would have been no, the quick thinker's answer was "let me see what I can get done for you. How fast do you need it and can you give me 20 mins to call you back?" Having no idea where to order the product he first called a guy who called a guy. Bam, we have a source. A quick call to the supplier, a credit card number given right then followed by a return call to the customer with a YES and price. Sale made at a good margin and the entire transaction completed that day. Now we have a customer that calls, orders and is happy all because we say YES and establish a profitable point to satisfy the demand of a customer. I bet he calls back within the week looking for a core business product as the positive relationship has been established. Who knows, he may call today and order toilet paper. I don't care as long as they call.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
Damn straight.

That anecdote seems so simple, yet most employees would be quick to say "No we don't sell that"

My dad owns/runs a industrial supply business and he never says "no" to a potential sale. Only quotes it to where its profitable to him.

crawlin85cj said:

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
I was told once that "you don't have to know how to do everything,you just have to know how to get it done."

crawlin85cj said:

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
Anytime you need pit liners, containment area coatings or pump coatings let me know. We have an office in Houston a Decatur,AL.

cmoultrie said:
Anytime you need pit liners, containment area coatings or pump coatings let me know. We have an office in Houston a Decatur,AL.

Shoot me your contact info and I will forward it to our guys.

[email protected]

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

crawlin85cj said:
Very interesting perspective. If you're ever in North Texas come on by and I'll give you a tour of how it all works together in harmony and profitable. Not only do we manufacture trailers, we manufacture the equipment that rides on them along with repairs and parts sales. As if that's not enough mix, we operate a rental fleet as well, all under 1 roof. Every business segment is a profitable and a well executed venture. It certainly can be done effectively and be a great advantage to the business.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

Since reading this post i have really been looking at the situation at work. I am convinced the problem starts in upper management. The lack of communication is just unreal. Not to mention its hard to be profitable when you dont even know what parts go into your own product. I hate to start over, but its coming in the near future. I really need to hold out about another 1.5-2 years. At that point my children should be on their own, and i can take a step in a different direction.

Its sad to the company builds a good product, and are sales are at a good pace running 7-9 trailers a week. The repair side is always good with 2 individual fleets that would keep a full on repair shop busy!!! We had 5 of there trailers last week, anything from full suspension cut aways, to complete new upper structure and chassis repair.

I have been self employed for 26 years and as it's been stated earlier, no one is completely self employed, you're going to have customers that are your
boss. It's a scary thing to go off on your own, but if you do good work, take care of details and be honest and don't screw people, you can't loose. The work ethic of most people in this country makes it easier to make it on your own.