• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sell whole or part out completely? A community opinion.

Gamble

So fellas, I have been a reading member on here for many years at this point, and through the many years I have learned a lot. I have also had the same project sitting on my lift making very little progress along the way.

That leads me to needing your opinion. I have a lot of nice parts for this project, along with a low mile Cherokee (for the year) for them to go in. I did. Make some progress but have not made it back to roller status yet. I want to know if you all think I should try and part this thing out or sell as a project and let someone finish as they see fit.

Here is what I have.

97 cherokee 105k miles engine/trans are great. Body is straight. Cut out rockers for 2"x6" tubing in prep for boat sides. 2"x6" welded in top side.

Parts I have for this build.

78 snow fighter king pin Dana 60 W/TMR Truss
Currently torn down for a rebuild.
Dom tubing for steering components. Rough stuff heim joints to go along with them. King pin high steer arms.
Yukon 5:38 gear (used technically)
ORI 16" struts

GM 14B rear with RS brackets mounted for DB.
Associate parts for disc brakes.
2" offset rear perch mounts
3.5" rear leafs
Boomerang shackles for the back W/relocation boxes.

Clayton Offroad 3 link crossmember
2" DOM for arms with RS heims
Rough Stuff unit body frame stiffeners front, mid, & rear.
Smitty built front bumper and maybe a winch.
4" square tubing for the rear bumper build.
39" pit bull rockers on 17x10 black bullet holes.

I am sure I am forgetting other parts I have but I didn't buy anything cheap as I planned to build it right. I hate to not move forward with this but I have two little ones, two jobs and very little play time. I need my lift space and this will be the least used of my projects for many years to come. I don't really know where to begin to price it whole or separated. I would love to see it go to someone whole and get finished, but am not against selling things separately if I get enough buyers to make it worth while.

I appreciate your all's opinion and a lot of parts I have purchased have been from reading different threads on this site. I'll be happy to get some pictures together but the question at hand is pretty straight forward.

Thanks
Brian.

Last edited:
Simply put if you're chasing $ part it out, if you're looking to clear up space quick sell as whole and take your losses.

I agree, the problem I have is I don't really know what's fair pricing either way. I have almost 4-5k in just 5 wheels/tires and ORI's best I recall.

I say $6500 and let it go. You are not concerned with the money or you wouldn't have let it sit and you have your hands full with other stuff. Price it cheap, let it go, and then tell stories about how awesome of a rig you were building. It sucks "getting out" because you start thinking about how much fun it was and how much it would have been if you would have done or gone more. I am in a similar boat but different.

If you've got the coin find somebody to finish it for you. Sounds like you have the big ticket items outta the way so you'll mainly be looking at labor.

I'd part out as you have easy to let go items that yield good returns:

ORI pair : 1750 firm
Pair of tons : 2000 obo
Tires / wheels : 1500 obo
Put the XJ specific parts on marketplace (frame stiffener, crossmember, links etc) for 500obo
Bumpers + winch for 750obo
Keep the 4" steel for future projects, it's always good to have around the shop

Then finish the rockers in a weekend so you can sell the Jeep as is for 4/5k (provided that it's complete and runs/drives).

This avenue should give you good return and not be too hard to set in motion nor take too long to make happen.

78-79 snow fighters are about neck deep in giraffe snatch these days

Put it to you this way: if you sell it altogether, there's a 75% chance the buyer parts it out for a profit.

@Gamble I'll be up your way around Christmas time.
If you still have it I may come up with cash and make you an offer on the lot, but as @Markrobinson said, I'd be parting it out for profit.

Not really an easy answer there. Smart move is to part it out. However I spent the first seven years of my sons life building my buggy. He grew up watching it take shape ever so slowly. Now that its finished, we have been having a blast with it and we are starting his own buggy, on a hopefully much shorter build schedule.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I am going to take it all under some thoughtful consideration and make a decision.