• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Set-up Imfo for Dumbfawks!

6uldv8

Wasn't sure where to start this or if anyone is even interested. I know you guys have a ton of knowledge that I'd like to tap from your head.
Here's my thoughts...I'm interested in building a buggy....I only want to do it once.....I don't want to build an obvious ****-up right from the start!

As I've observed rigs over the past few years I've tried to figure out the big secret to what works better and if there really is a big secret to what works. Is it the driver? I see "balls to the walls" drivers do well on some things and I see "finesse" drivers whip something else. Is it H.P.? Big works good but I've seen small work just as well. Wheelbase? Is there a magic all around best dim.? Weight? Seems like the heavy sprung weight rigs suffer at times but the the lighter weight rigs struggle for traction at other times!

I could go on for a while with my list but I'm thinking you get the jist of the thread. Throw up some knowledge and discussion if you guys are interested....I know I'm interested in hearing what you've got to say.

Obstacles change, variables change.... there really isnt a setup that works better than any other. Alot of driver input will make certain rigs appear to go better than others.

Build something that works is alot of it dont get me wrong... but knowing how to drive what you have is just as important and it shows..... Thats what I think.

Your question is also real vague.... Trail buggies and Comp buggies couldnt be farther apart. You gotta look at what YOU want out of YOUR buggy and build from there. :popcorn:

Seats ?

Tire Size?

Room for "stuff"?

Weight Goal?

Wheelbase desired ?

Drivetrain intended to be used?

Lots of variables...

Your question is also real vague.... Trail buggies and Comp buggies couldnt be farther apart. You gotta look at what YOU want out of YOUR buggy and build from there.

Yep...that's the things I'm pondering and trying to decide about. Currently I'm thinking something XRRA worthy would be the direction I'd go and then let it work best it will on trails.

Not really wanting my thread to be so much a question as it is a place for you guys that know things about different things to post up ideas and theories. If you think a built 60 is best, tell why...if you swear by rockwells, post it up.

That's the direction I want this thread to go. (if it'll go!) lol

Im not big rockwell fan personally... they are awesome for trail rig use, they are a large commitment in weight and maintenance though stock. Plus all the brake issue to work around and wheel this and that. Rockwells can be built but your still talking money if you want them right.

They are real wide too, and you need a specially designed chassis to get a rockwell rig remotely low enough to be fun IMO.

oh.....and P.....I should add that I'm gathering all this wisdom cause I'm only expecting you to bend up the perfect chassis for me! No pressure or anything! ;D ;D

If you decide on Rockwells, look at this. I was all over this one, when I bought the single seater and decided not to build from ground up.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466729

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I don't claim to know much by my .02 is that there are all types of rigs and drivers make a big difference. If you just want a trail buggy, build something big and badass like some of those TN rigs. Big motor, big tires and beefy parts. If you want something you can run comps in also then look into a small 2 seater on tons, 40" tires and around 105" WB. Make it light, and put small block chevy in it and prepare to launch that bitch up anything you can find. ;D

If you want something you can run comps in also then look into a small 2 seater on tons, 40" tires and around 105" WB. Make it light, and put small block chevy in it and prepare to launch that bitch up anything you can find.

I like that idea a lot! :spin:

My opinion is Rockwells are to heavy. Look at John Galbreath's Jeep with Tons and rear steer that things goes excellent. I know he has had some problems breaking stuff in the rear but he drives the piss out of it. I think something like all his parts under a two seat buggy would be one hell of a setup. I know he has alot of money in his rig but that is a machine. I personally like the Body Type vehicles but if you roll a buggy it doesn't seam to tear as much **** up and hands down you have alot more protection.

I personally like the Body Type vehicles but if you roll a buggy it doesn't seam to tear as much **** up and hands down you have alot more protection.

Yep.....I can't bring myself to risk my TJ at all.....I was a nervous wreck when the two Tn. guys drove the TJ's up the "Scenic Overlook"(?is that the name) Sunday........the first guy in the Rubicon I thought was a goner for sure....the second one just followed the group into more than he wanted.....I think he was puckered up pretty bad! I know I was! :eek:

Greg, I felt the same way on Sunday. I was too worried about my body and sheetmetal to get as crazy as the rest of the bunch. As Bailey would say, I still have that give a damn factor. I want to be hitting the hard stuff, but not in my current setup. That said, I don't want to sell it to someone and watch them beat it up and I don't want to upkeep 2 trail rigs. My future solution, will be to put my **** into a buggy but I am still a year or so away from even starting that. Having a buggy with fiberglass body parts and easily replaceable skins is the way to go IMO.

I agree with the both of you on that. I had a TJ and traded it for the CJ I have now due to I was to worried about denting it up. The body is beat up on my CJ and It doesn't bother me as bad. Bad thing is I am fixing to invest in a paint job. I hate to but tired of driving ugly vehicle.

I say small 2 seater, about 6" wider than the malvado (don't remember the ") 109" wheelbase, aluminum engine LS based, 400/stak, around 33-39:1 in 1st on the auto for gearing, 40" creepy's for the comp, whatever you can find if you don't want to wear them out for the trail, a tool box on the rear that can be taken off for the comps. C/O's on the front, probably 14" and air bumps, 16" airs on the rear with bumps. aluminum wheels with stauns. Hp front, 70 rear. I don't like the front rad on a comp style rig. look at the tube shark rig with the air cleaning out the grille. ultimate visibility. get the engine as far back and you as far forward as possible. High ass roll centers and a XX front and rear. non heavily gated shifter. yep, I have a lot of other thoughts on this, just don't have time.