• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock mounting ?

krackem

Build-Bend-Weld-Break -Repeat
I sure some one has their shock mounted like the Yoda in the pic does anyone got the mesurements on were to put your tabs not sure if there are any pros or cons vs how far they are apart or close at top and bottom. Fixing to do this setup and wanted some input from someone who already built there cus I'm not buying one when I got the tools to build one and thanks for any help

Attachments

• rearshockhoop.jpg
    rearshockhoop.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 109
Re: Re: Shock mounting ?

Get some Ford shock towers and mount them straight up as far out as possible.

Mounting them like /\ will make them real soft and body roll a lot

You got any pics with a similar setup so I can see what you mean not really able to visualize how your saying to mount them and thanks man also bro I appreciate it

Here's how I did mine. 14" bilsteins, doesn't use all the travel so I have room to grow into them. Shock hoops welded to the frame with some trailgear tabs. I have 63" chevy rears.

D947ADF8-orig.jpg

0F88B078-orig.jpg

CAM00186_zpsf4851597.jpg

Also doubles as a place to mount a hilift and strap a cooler or whatever to it.

Re: Re: Shock mounting ?

TBItoy said:
Get some Ford shock towers and mount them straight up as far out as possible.

Mounting them like /\ will make them real soft and body roll a lot

The ford towers are square design that will weld to the inside of the frame and go up through the floor. Much easier, simpler, and cheaper.

The only reason they do that angled set up like in your original pic is so they can put a long travel shock (14") and not have to cut the bed. But its kinda pointless b/c at the angle they are mounted they are not doing much good.

OK I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to that design or not still learning about suspension setups and how they work, can u order the ford shock towers or do ya gotta cut em off a certain model, which I might have to go the route in the first pic were my tank mounts is pretty close to being all up in the area were they'd come thru the floor be close just have to see thanks for the input guys I ûûûppreciate thumb.gife the help out of it

krackem said:
OK I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to that design or not still learning about suspension setups and how they work, can u order the ford shock towers or do ya gotta cut em off a certain model, which I might have to go the route in the first pic were my tank mounts is pretty close to being all up in the area were they'd come thru the floor be close just have to see thanks for the input guys I ûûûppreciate thumb.gife the help out of it

You can order them from any ford dealer parts counter, or get them from mid 90s F250s/350s (gotta drill or torch the rivets off the frame)

^ here is the part number. Normally they are about $15-20 each new

It shouldn't body roll any more or worse if its still using leafs to support the weight should it? I could see it if it was air shocks where it was supporting weight but regular shocks are just a dampening devise.

Elliott said:
It shouldn't body roll any more or worse if its still using leafs to support the weight should it? I could see it if it was air shocks where it was supporting weight but regular shocks are just a dampening devise.

The shocks damp the suspension movement, no matter what the springs are.

It won't "lean" as bad (in my experience) with leafs, but the farther out the shocks are mounted, the better they will work.

Look at new trucks, they've started mounting the shocks outside the frame

Right I agree they are better out wide BUT I bet you could take them off and it wouldn't lean much on a Toyota.

When measuring shocks do you just measure the shaft or or shaft to middle of the eyelet or what all mine a blown and not really sure what's on the the previous owner done some haggard ass **** ive had to fix :****:

Re: Re: Re: Shock mounting ?

krackem said:
When measuring shocks do you just measure the shaft or or shaft to middle of the eyelet or what all mine a blown and not really sure what's on the the previous owner done some haggard ass **** ive had to fix :****:

Compressed length (eye to eye) is the most important measurement.

You don't want to buy shock that are too tall and bottom them out.

I've seen shocks with the same travel be several inches different in compressed length

Latest posts