• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop Floor Coating

B.DRAKE

Kind of throwing around the idea of putting some kind of coating on my shop floor since the concrete is getting a little stained up. I have seen that some of y'all have this done I was just wondering what everyone was using and what is the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for any input. Sorry if there is already a discussion about this I am too lazy to look :****:

Re:

I've done mine twice in 5 years. First was concrete primer then paint. It held up OK but after 4 years of off road builds and repairs it looked like crap. I just put the rustoleum garage floor coating down maybe 6 months ago. Its a 2 part paint and is harder than the concrete paint. Seems to hold up a lot better. If I do it again I will have someone sand it down and stain it. I wish I would have stained it the first time.

I am the point where mine needs to be done again. Looked great at first. That was in 2003. Now that the barn is full, I really don't want to clean it out wall to wall to do it again. The worse is under the lift where the tires go as I use a long pry bar to lift them onto the spindle.

Also look at what steps are needed to prep for your stains. Doing that wrong would be a mess.

Attachments

• 2003-04-03-02.jpg
    2003-04-03-02.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 113
Rust oleum 2 part epoxy. 3 years of moderate use and it's held up pretty nicely. I did the cleaning and acid etching and there is only 1 spot that isn't holding well where there was a well soaked in ATF stain. I expect to get another few years out of it at minimum. I'd definitely do it again. Cleans very easily and doesn't seem to stain unless it's allowed to sit for an extended period.

So I just had mine poured..it's basically empty. Nice smooth surface. I considered a coating but thought against it since I would always have to **** with it every few years...am I thinking about this wrong? They sure do look good when they are coated..

I had a new new and I put the rustoleum 2 part epoxy on it. It has been down for about 6 months with a bronco restoration going on for about 4 months know. I love the floor and would do it again in a heart beat.

B.DRAKE said:
Kind of throwing around the idea of putting some kind of coating on my shop floor since the concrete is getting a little stained up. I have seen that some of y'all have this done I was just wondering what everyone was using and what is the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for any input. Sorry if there is already a discussion about this I am too lazy to look :****:

If there is alot of oil stains you can order several different products online that have micro-organisms in them and will eat the oil out of the concrete. At work we prep with klenztone for oily floors. I recommend sherwin williams products, duraplate 235 is excellent for shop floors we put it in plants that have forklift traffic all the time and its very affordable. If you have a large portion of the floor that sees sunlight I recommend putting a urethane top coat on it to protect from chalking due to UV exposure.
Prep is key, typically we either shot blast or diamond grind the floors, I prefer diamond grinding because the shot blast leaves small "corn rows"/.

bbone said:
So I just had mine poured..it's basically empty. Nice smooth surface. I considered a coating but thought against it since I would always have to **** with it every few years...am I thinking about this wrong? They sure do look good when they are coated..

Ben, the ONLY reason I did mine is it rained after pouring. And even though they worked it till sun up, it ended up rough. Too rough to easily sweep. Almost like a driveway. I would opt for smooth concrete without coating.

Thanks for the replies, my floor isn't bad stained really and the concrete is a very nice and slick finish I'm just a little OCD I guess lol wish it could stay looking new forever :****:

Re:

I used the rustoleum paint and while it's still down after 5 yrs, it's starting to show thin in places with alot of traffic. If it was a new floor, I would seal it good and polish it up.

bbone said:

Aye Ben. The company I work for does all different types of floor coatings including linex. Lemme know if you want some prices.

We use the Sherwin Williams stuff.
Tile Clad...

My shop had a black coating before, couldnt see ****. Now its that grey. Had for about 2 years and has worn very very well. Of course dropping stuff on it, or dragging stuff across it chips it. but its really easy to spot back over.