• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Should I vacation during winter in Nashville with a 3-year-old?

patooyee

I have a vacation coming up in Dec. for which I have no clue what we are going to do. Flights are cheap to Nashville though. Is there anything to do there during the winter with a 3-year-old daughter and wife?

zayne2427 said:
We usually go up to the opryland hotel and walk around and look at the Christmas lights

My daughter would love that but not for more than a day or two. Got anything else?

The rockets are pretty cool to go and watch. And im being serious about that, Ive really seen anything else that precision in my life.

They usually have Disney on ice and few other show there around the opry mall. we have been a few times after thanksgiving.

zukimaster said:
I guess all the titty bars are out of the question. :dunno:

I've never been to any of the titty bars there but Coyote Ugly was one hell of a time from what I can remember.

My honest opinion for Nashville with little ones and winter is a no go. Spring, Summer or early fall yes. Winter, not so much. I lived there for a few years and just couldn't justify it. You can straight up get snow and ice with a bone chilling cold and make any outdoor activities null and void. My three year old needs some outside activity over a three day span, even if she is bundled up looking like the Michelin Man. Sounds crazy, but there is a boat load of stuff to do in Las Vegas and it usually has cheap flights too. We hit some pretty cool shows, found an arcade, cool shopping and more to do with little kids than you would think. Plus the temperature averages 11 degrees warmer in the winter months and the chance for precipitation is considerably less.

Go to the smokies and rent a cabin! I'm going twice this winter, once with the lady friend for a weekend get away and once with all my friends and the ladies (big group). We always just stay in the cabin, but you're never too far from Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and there's all sorts of fun **** that's kid friendly.

Cheapest, nicest cabins I've found so far. Can't beat a badass luxury cabin with badass scenic mountain views, full kitchen, and full game room with a pool table and whatnot. Doesn't get much better than sitting in a 103 degree hot tub on a private porch over looking the mountains while sipping on yer favorite adult bevarage. :****:

http://www.outrageouscabins.com/

TacomaJD said:
Go to the smokies and rent a cabin! I'm going twice this winter, once with the lady friend for a weekend get away and once with all my friends and the ladies (big group). We always just stay in the cabin, but you're never too far from Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and there's all sorts of fun **** that's kid friendly.

Cheapest, nicest cabins I've found so far. Can't beat a badass luxury cabin with badass scenic mountain views, full kitchen, and full game room with a pool table and whatnot. Doesn't get much better than sitting in a 103 degree hot tub on a private porch over looking the mountains while sipping on yer favorite adult bevarage. :****:

http://www.outrageouscabins.com/

I actually agree with this, and I'm not much a Gburg/PF fan myself.

I could see that being a fun time with a little kid, because there is so much seasonal decoration and festive type stuff going on all the time there.

Yeah, ya'll also got to realize that we LIVE at the beach and it never snows here. Vacation to us would be seeing real, actual snow.

patooyee said:
Yeah, ya'll also got to realize that we LIVE at the beach and it never snows here. Vacation to us would be seeing real, actual snow.

Chance of seeing snow in Gatlinburg is better than your chances around Nashville in my opinion, your bound to see snow somewhere in the area. And you've gotta take a ride through Cade's Cove while you're there. Good for a half day and see plenty of wildlife and old school cabins, churches, homeplaces, etc.

We did Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge / Cade's Cove last winter. Not that I wouldn't go again.

patooyee said:

Don't come to TN then, your chance of seeing ICE and 33 degree rain/sleet is much better than snow :****:

I think you should vacation where you want to with or without a 3 year old...just about everywhere has something fun to do...hell its vacation...your not at work...and your out of town...enjoy

The more fun my daughter has the more fun I have.

Anyway, I think we've decided against Nashville for this trip. Thanks though.

There is a drive through Christmas light show at a campground right down the road from Opryland hotel, well worth the time to drive through - they also have a petting zoo area for the kids and zip lines set up. A good time for 1 night