• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SHOW US YOUR BUTT!!!

money_pit_yj said:
I don't eat my own bbq. I spend so much time prepping it and cooking it the last thing I want when I am done is something smoked. I will destroy my ribs cause I love ribs, but not butts or shoulders, I just prefer to eat someone elses or to reheat it a few weeks later when I am not cooking.

I agree. Most of the time I just snack on stuff as its done which is usually the best then freeze some an eat later

6e8efa641eed87c3959390e4d273d41b.jpg
wanted a thermometer for the grill and found this unit that connects to my phone through Bluetooth. Cool way to monitor the cook, and I can see where I need to improve on my cooking skills. I'm sure most of you dudes don't need something like this but I'm a newbie to cooking and could use all the help I can get.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm old school. Manual dampers, no fans, awake all night no technology cooker. I had a Thermapen but that's about it. Of course that's because I couldn,t afford any of that stuff cause I spent all my money on insulating my pit :dblthumb: I have debated a Traeger, but that is kinda the Gayzer of cooking legit BBQ.

KILLERB468 said:
Here is some of my labor day butt's one 12 hrs the other 14. 16 hours on the brisket,
414d24cf8729ff94340d20b0e8c6e33f.jpg
414d24cf8729ff94340d20b0e8c6e33f.jpg
Soooo good. Smoked on my home made smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a picture of the homemade smoker? :dunno:

Post up your smokers if you got em. I'd like to get some ideas so I can build one. :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
Got a picture of the homemade smoker? :dunno:

Post up your smokers if you got em. I'd like to get some ideas so I can build one. :dblthumb:

We built an insulated cabinet smoker and a homemade reverse flow smoker. I'm not saying because I built them cause all I did was hold stuff while my friend did all the work. If you are close to Guntersville a place called Boneyard Bbq has our old trailer. I like a Lang style cooker but you have to run sticks and not charcoal. Check out woods custom cookers on Favebook. They are about the best smoker on the market. Our cabinet was very similar. You can't beat an insulated cooker!!

Both of these are the same concept. The smoke flows across the meat and exits. The upright cookers exhaust was at the bottom. (Reverse flow) the horizontal smoker had a smokestack right next to the fire box. I will get a diagram of how they work but it is the best way to cook. In my opinion

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
money_pit_yj said:
Both of these are the same concept. The smoke flows across the meat and exits. The upright cookers exhaust was at the bottom. (Reverse flow) the horizontal smoker had a smokestack right next to the fire box. I will get a diagram of how they work but it is the best way to cook. In my opinion

The horizontal one was not done in that picture. That was the day I just about got cold knocked out by a grinder. molaugh

money_pit_yj said:

Does one version cook slower than the other?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHrtXMSD0vy/

Brisket

How long did you cook this for? I cooked a brisket over Labor day for about 1.5 hours on my homemade barbeque and it came out pretty damn good if I say so myself. :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHrtXMSD0vy/

Brisket

How long did you cook this for? I cooked a brisket over Labor day for about 1.5 hours on my homemade barbeque and it came out pretty damn good if I say so myself. :dblthumb:
Greg, I cook my briskets around 11 hours for a 12 to 14 pounder after trimming the fat off. They usually start off around 16 or 17 lbs. Prior to trimming.

We built this one 4-5 years ago. Firebox is a buck stove insert, main tank is 250 gallon lp, upper rib box is made of 3/16" plate. Double racks in main tank will hold 35-40 butts and rib box will hold 16 slabs of back ribs. Used 3/16" thick adjustable tuning plates below meat to get the temperature +/- 5 degrees across the length of smoker. The easiest cooking smoker I have ever used.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 106
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 112
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 102
CHASMAN9 said:

We found that the upright cooker was easier and more predictable because the insulation takes weather variables out of the equation. I think we got a better smoke flavor with the horizontal cooker but that is mainly because you have to burn sticks rather than charcoal. I honestly don't think we used enough wood in the upright cooker, there is a whole lot of space in that thing so it takes a lot of wood to fill it up with smoke. For what its worth, I am going to start building one similar to the upright cooker for myself in a few months. I love my green egg and have fun cooking different stuff on it, but once you cook on a Backwoods style smoker, you may never go back.

This is a friend who is building a "knock off" of the backwoods smokers (original vertical reverse flow insuated smoker).

https://www.facebook.com/Woods-Custom-Cookers-1458649091116747/?fref=ts

His "knock offs" are winning every pro competition in our area, if I had the money I would have one, but i dont so I am going to build one worthy to be called a "knock off".

money_pit_yj said:
We found that the upright cooker was easier and more predictable because the insulation takes weather variables out of the equation. I think we got a better smoke flavor with the horizontal cooker but that is mainly because you have to burn sticks rather than charcoal. I honestly don't think we used enough wood in the upright cooker, there is a whole lot of space in that thing so it takes a lot of wood to fill it up with smoke. For what its worth, I am going to start building one similar to the upright cooker for myself in a few months. I love my green egg and have fun cooking different stuff on it, but once you cook on a Backwoods style smoker, you may never go back.

This is a friend who is building a "knock off" of the backwoods smokers (original vertical reverse flow insuated smoker).

https://www.facebook.com/Woods-Custom-Cookers-1458649091116747/?fref=ts

His "knock offs" are winning every pro competition in our area, if I had the money I would have one, but i dont so I am going to build one worthy to be called a "knock off".

How much does one like that cost?