• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Side By Side Questions

tall boy

I know some of you guys have a side by side/UTV/ Razr or what ever you call them. Ive had my Jeep since I was a young. I have 3 boys now old enough to ride and my wife actually wants to go with us too. I don't have enough seats for all of us. We have been playing with the idea of getting a small 2 seat UTV that she or my oldest kid could drive. So the questions...

How big are the small ones? Could I put it on my 18 foot car hauler with my Jeep? Sideways or behind it??
Would I be making a mistake to buy a 6k small **** box at first for them to drive?
How big of a trailer would I need to pull it?
What else am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

SxS are fun and I don't think it would be a bad idea to buy something inexpensive for them to try out and figure out if they like it. The utility type are a little shorter. For reference my xp1000 is 10ft long.

Depending on you you get, you may be able to get it on there with the Jeep sideways. I've only had my 1000, so I cannot offer any advice on the other brands.

a little stock-ish rzr 800 or 800s is actually a pretty fun little trail rig.

Your seating position is much lower and the engine is further back than the utility models (Rhino, Teryx, etc) so they "feel" better driving on the trails IMO.

I've ridden quite a bit with my sxs last 2 years. From what I learned from guys with razors. Get a 800. They make plenty power and go great and don't make enough power to trash parts like the 1000's do and turbos. They will shock the hell outta yeah where they will go. As far as loading I'd say ya only got couple legal options. Get the small 800 and depending on they're length load it sideways. Anything over 102" is illegal. Ya might slide on weekends trips but only takes one deputy dan. Or get a longer trailer. I'd search around. You can find some great deals on older gently used units. My utility is great but it takes up a lot of trailer space. I have a 1000 xp ranger Good luck

Our 2012 RzR 800s is right at 5 feet wide, and 9 feet long from furthest point on the front bumper to furthest point on the rear bumper. It also weighs right at 1500 pounds ready to ride.

You'd be welcome to come down to the house (Rockvale, TN) with truck, Jeep, and trailer and we can see if it'll fit sideways on your current trailer.

I have experience with many sxs and for what you are wanting to do with it I would recommend the RZR 570. They are the same size as the 800 and power wise they are just as strong. The motor makes less power but the drivetrain is the newer prostar line and is MUCH more efficient than what the 800 had. Plus, they are hands down way easier to work on and maintain than the 800 due to the engine/trans layout. The original 570 was 50" wide but for the past couple years they are available in 60". Also, the sxs are bigger than they look until you get them on a trailer. you may be able to make it work, but an 18' trailer is going to be FULL if you can even get it on there with a jeep. I hope this helps.

I definitely recommend a sxs as a second rig. They are good for extra seats, as a backup and good to just cruise in sometimes. My wife enjoys the sxs but not the buggy. I got a 22 ft car hauler just because my 18 ft couldn't haul both forward. We stick my buddies 900 in sideways on my gooseneck. Like already mentioned, it is 9 ft which is a few inches over legal but haven't gotten stopped yet. You can bend some tube for the tires to hang over the front or the sides of a trailer not long or wide enough.
Screenshot_20200510-232214_Gallery.jpg
20200227_152918.jpg

I have experience with many sxs and for what you are wanting to do with it I would recommend the RZR 570. They are the same size as the 800 and power wise they are just as strong. The motor makes less power but the drivetrain is the newer prostar line and is MUCH more efficient than what the 800 had. Plus, they are hands down way easier to work on and maintain than the 800 due to the engine/trans layout. The original 570 was 50" wide but for the past couple years they are available in 60". Also, the sxs are bigger than they look until you get them on a trailer. you may be able to make it work, but an 18' trailer is going to be FULL if you can even get it on there with a jeep. I hope this helps.
570 or 800 RZR is absolutely the the best way to go to do it on the cheap and see if they even like it. They are reasonably priced and awesome bang for buck. My advice is definitely don't buy anything that has been beat. They are good machines but worn out stuff can really snowball quick like anything else.

Last edited:
Imo I wouldn't go under a 900xp or S. Look and take your time you can find good deals in unmolested 900/1000 rzrs. I have a 1kxp and will be going to 4 seater turbo s next year. We ride rzrs as much as the crawler now. They're fairly easy to work on and maintain, you can insure them cheap, and just fun to get into after being in a crawler. I pull my 1k and Sami on a 24' trailer with plenty of room. Do it right and get a bigger trailer.

Attachments

• BF15141F-0A4E-4B1E-A33E-1DD907F61CE0.jpeg
    BF15141F-0A4E-4B1E-A33E-1DD907F61CE0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 164
have a 17 1000XP 4 seater converted to a 5 seater with a bench in the back so everyone can go out and ride. my 14yo and 15yo love to drive the RZR. this is the only one i have owned. Only mech issue I have had so far was a pinched o-ring in the fuel pump. relatively easy fix with the error codes. A buddy of mine owns a canam maverick 4 seater and that thing chews through belts, wheel bearings, axle shafts etc. Most of these sxs can be had 1-2 years old for a song here in Houston. I think people buy them new with the vision they are going to be able to get out more and after a year or two sitting in the garage with less than 20hrs on the machines they decide to practially give them away.
Have a 30ft gooseneck, so space is not much of an issue to haul bouncer and rzr xp1000, but probably could fit them on a 26ft trailer if needed. you won't regret going with a bigger trailer. we have enough space to haul 2 dirtbikes sideways on the front and still plenty of room for our totes, gas, propane bottles etc.

Last edited:
I haul a jeep and RZR 800s on an 18' car hauler. We pull the RZR up on the front across the trailer and then butt the Jeep up to it. It is a maze of straps but not hard to do. If you have any welding skills or know someone who does you can make it easier than my set up. I am eventually selling both and going to a 4 seater but if I wasn't I would build something to widen the trailer where the RZR sits so you could use tire straps to hold it in place. Almost like a 4" slot where each tire would sit. My trailer is 82" wide and it fits but 86 or 88 would make it safer. It is a tad bit tounge heavy but not to bad. As far as the 800s, it is plenty capable, my wife followed us all over Hot Springs her first time out. I may be selling it soon, so shoot me a PM and we can talk if your interested.

A 1000 is the size of a TJ in many measurements. These things are getting huge!
My neighbors dad just went all out and got one of the new turbo special editions or some ****. Dude put portals and exhaust and programmer on it. Idiots got well over 40k in it and yup it's as big as tj. It will smoke all 4 tires but he's already burnt a belt up and had to have clutch upgraded. Dudes got small **** syndrome

have a 17 1000XP 4 seater converted to a 5 seater with a bench in the back so everyone can go out and ride. my 14yo and 15yo love to drive the RZR. this is the only one i have owned. Only mech issue I have had so far was a pinched o-ring in the fuel pump. relatively easy fix with the error codes. A buddy of mine owns a canam maverick 4 seater and that thing chews through belts, wheel bearings, axle shafts etc. Most of these sxs can be had 1-2 years old for a song here in Houston. I think people buy them new with the vision they are going to be able to get out more and after a year or two sitting in the garage with less than 20hrs on the machines they decide to practially give them away.
Have a 30ft gooseneck, so space is not much of an issue to haul bouncer and rzr xp1000, but probably could fit them on a 26ft trailer if needed. you won't regret going with a bigger trailer. we have enough space to haul 2 dirtbikes sideways on the front and still plenty of room for our totes, gas, propane bottles etc.
Yeah, the original Mavericks had an appetite for belts. We have thousands of desert race miles on the Canam X3 Turbo and have never broken a belt. Of course, the clutches were tuned as soon as we built them. I reccomend the X3 turbos all day long over the polaris turbo and we've had both. However, for the OP intended use, I think the RZR 570 or the 900 is the best option.

man that really helps. I could get a new 570 for under 10k... I need to look into one a couple years old. Thanks everyone for the help! Rider I may take you up on that!

Latest posts