• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

simple shock question?

stump jumper

350TBI, TURBO 400, 60/14/, 205/BLACKBOX, ON 42'S
Hey guys I've got a YJ with tons,42, tbi 350 and a 4 speed. It has Wagoneer springs in the front and I put an Xj springs in the back which type of rear shock would be best for the setup. Would you recommend putting the shocks on the outside of the frame rails or the inside of the frame rails I am also running a traction bar on the back. I may over thinking this and should put a rancho or something equivalent. Opinions?

I believe I asked a question similar to this a while ago and the major response was the cheapest White shock you can find... anything else is just kind of overkill.

I ended up just buying some white Pro Comp shocks at the length I needed.... all seems ok.

I would think you would want to mount the shocks as outboard as possible for stability reasons but maybe if you have leaf springs it's different.

Re:

I'm running the same spring setup with hp60 up front & 14 bolt rear & 39.5 TSLs.
Procomp white shocks with 14" travel fit just right outside the frame & have worked for me for years. I can get pics this afternoon if you want an idea of clearance.

JohnG said:
I would go with the Ranchos with the dials, I think that would be the 9000 series.
Ditto.. But hey, I like to be able to adjust things, so I can get it all messed up and have to ask here usually for advice. Really tho, I have the white pro comp shocks that came straight off my rig when I bought it. Main reason was one shock mount was zip tied up to frame.. For some reason I didn't think that would last long.. Ha. Mine had I THINK what are TJ springs on the back, maybe wrong, don't know how to tell.. But **** watts bouncy ride around the yard the day I got it home. That was bout it before i parked it began the demo..

Re:

I ran xj springs on the rear of mine, with an added main leaf, and shocks from an f250, and it flexed good, but rode like ****. Not sure if it was the springs or shocks, I'd say it was the shocks because they were rated for so much more load

These are all on my passenger side rear
be1f96f4024d9ca2f44675cefd629332.jpg

14" travel shocks (about 7 up/ 7 down when sitting on flat ground)
5a25757ad65da093304623cd2aa95bb6.jpg

Mounted right in front of the axle
6f8f4f0b8e001875b2ba4e4377f95db3.jpg

a3ef1801c56cbe1e80c30d8cf7065fcd.jpg

Just enough room to clear the frame
65dea82d62c3f734c847d0a2ea716630.jpg

Latest posts