• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snow tire in 33" size

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
i know this topic has been beaten to death, but im looking of the best snow tire in the 33- 34" size for my little HP30, i was thinking of the 33x13.5x15 ltb because of the cost, and width for floatation,, but i am extremely open to suggestions. should have a DD running soon, so bias ply is ok. and i dont really care how bad they ride on the freeway. i just dont want to get too wide of a tire and be blowin shafts in the front end all the time. im tryin to get to elk lake in january next year :D i got stopped a few miles, and about 2000 feet vertical from the lake last january in 2' plus of snow with my baby 31's. i need some float. any suggestions? would a 33 x12.5 provide adequite flotation for my light cherokee?

Thanks in advance.
 

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
it my little cherokee from the noob run, its gettin a 4" lift and more chopping. wanna fit some wider 33's on it. i REALLY love running deep snow in that thing though, its fully closed in, has a stereo, is fun to drive, and the heater works pretty good. so what width sx's?

edit- the 33" SX's are 15.50 inches wide!!!! a little too much tire for my hp30 and my driving habits i think
 
Last edited:

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
boxboy said:
also you can get a 34 9.50 TSL SS if you want to be that narrow


im looking for floatation in the snow, so thats why i ruled out the pizza cutters, even though they would kick ass for most of the trails around here. i kinda want to get the 34x10.5 ltb's but how bad would they suck in soft, deep powder?
 

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
these arent looking too bad for all around wheeling
regular SS TSL
33x12.50-15LT
8 ply
24/32"
10.2"
33.7 "
12.4 "
15x10
45 PSI
2820 #'s
 

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
with the way i drive and how heavy my right foot is, i would probably be blowing shafts every trip out. and 33's are a good step foward. especially with a dana 30. i dont like replacing shafts on the trail, nor do i like buying replacment shafts. so anyone have any experience with the narrow LTB's in the snow? war jeeper's got them, but i know he hasnt had them in the snow.
 

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
15,214
Location
Crustys Brewery
MarcW said:
with the way i drive and how heavy my right foot is, i would probably be blowing shafts every trip out. and 33's are a good step foward. especially with a dana 30. i dont like replacing shafts on the trail, nor do i like buying replacment shafts. so anyone have any experience with the narrow LTB's in the snow? war jeeper's got them, but i know he hasnt had them in the snow.


Mike's XJ with the 33's TSL's on it whoops ass everywhere BUT the snow. He could air down to 1psi and still suck. But he has 33 x 10.50.


My BFG at's do fine in the snow. LTB's, IROC's or SX's are also good in the snow.

I'm personally leaning toward the Toyo MT's. I have heard nothing but GOOD things about them.
 

Totalled

That Ford Guy
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
4,477
Location
Cold can of Oly
The 34x9.50s dig to china in snow and then you go no where. I haven't even mounted my 34x10.50s yet... so i can't give a review of them.
 

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
KarlVP said:
Mike's XJ with the 33's TSL's on it whoops ass everywhere BUT the snow. He could air down to 1psi and still suck. But he has 33 x 10.50.


My BFG at's do fine in the snow. LTB's, IROC's or SX's are also good in the snow.

I'm personally leaning toward the Toyo MT's. I have heard nothing but GOOD things about them.


i'm now stuck between the 33x13.5 ltb's or the 33x13.5 toyo mt's. i like the streetability of the toyo's since i drive to and from the trail, with an occasional road trip to oregon for wheeling. anyone have any experience with this size?
 

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
15,214
Location
Crustys Brewery
MarcW said:
i'm now stuck between the 33x13.5 ltb's or the 33x13.5 toyo mt's. i like the streetability of the toyo's since i drive to and from the trail, with an occasional road trip to oregon for wheeling. anyone have any experience with this size?


It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it. :D

Seriously, a 13.5 should do fine. But on an XJ it may rub a little. No, wait, it's an XJ it will rub A LOT. When you buy those tires, buy a sawzall.
 

MarcW

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
5,487
Location
Kirkland
KarlVP said:
It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it. :D

Seriously, a 13.5 should do fine. But on an XJ it may rub a little. No, wait, it's an XJ it will rub A LOT. When you buy those tires, buy a sawzall.


i got an angle grinder and a welder :flipoff: im gonna move the fender line up about 3" in the back so it doesnt flare down towards the edge, and is level inside. and on the front, i'll cut a little more, and bumpstop. i have some pretty wide backspacing wheels on it, the 10.5's clear within 1.5 or so inches, so i might rub on the control arms. so i think im set on the toyo's.
 

Latest posts

Top