• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Solid Kingpin Knuckles WTF

cushmaneaglerider

I just installed a set and let's just say not a direct bolt-on. Every thing painted white hade to be ground down, opened up or completely removed.
e3c5a525dc185a64c150b724d33e75ef.jpg
f15237bf8244b64882bdeffd7d0493c9.jpg
b2c43740cf431f7e90b82d198cfa861a.jpg

Anyone else run into this? The Reid knuckles on my other buggy went on with zero modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the lower retainer but yep. The steering stop is factory bolt length so me having the rcvs now I cut them completely off. Had to grind on the knuckles and calipers to put the one ton stuff on. I think the 3/4 calipers would clear I have now. Wait till you go to slide the axle shafts in and the hole won't clear the shafts and you have to grind thwm down some

For what it's worth I think the solids are stronger because of the added material and I just pull knuckles to do shafts now.

kmcminn said:
You sending them back? Mine are older dedenbears no issues.
No sending back, I have them on. Just wondering if everyone had the same problems I had. The steering stops were .545 inches longer with no bolts, than stock knuckles with the stock bolt installed. After getting those cut back to stock steering angle, the axle shafts hit the backside of the knuckle at full turn. I just didn't know they were going to need that much modification to install. I have one more set to install, They will have all the mods done before being being installed.

crawler 129 said:
The only mods to install on my dodge 60 was grinding for the brakes .

Same here...Dodge axle/but same as GM.....Didn't grind anything to fit. Although the banjo bolt for the brake caliper is super tight. I shoulda made some more room there but forgot about it. Yukon chromoly axles slide right in, no scoring or rubbing anywhere I can see. Maybe just an oddball set you got?

Mine are brand new also and i had same problems except the lower caps. 3 of 4 of my yukons fit perfect, had to grind the on the long side inner to fit though but thats a yukon deal not a solid deal

I had to grind only for the banjo bolts to clear on the set I got. The lower kingpin cap was hard to get all 4 bolts started but i managed to get it eventually.....Still a pain

cushmaneaglerider said:
Did y'all cut the steering stop? If I had not cut the stops, the axles probably would have not hit at full turn but the turning radius would suck.

Turning radius sucked on my rig before....hit the lower links. The only bolt I put in the steering stop was on the passenger side and that bolt is ran all the way in with only the head of the bolt exposed. Welded diff and all....I need acre field to turn but at least the joints aren't at a horrible angle. That's usually when I've popped all my D44 stuff is when the wheels were turned pretty good.

I could be wrong but the lower king pin only goes on one way. I am running the Blue Torch Fab Lower king pins but had no problem with hole alignment unless it is backwards. I also just cut the steering stop completely off. Running 3/4 ton calipers no issue hitting the knuckle. Matter of fact I didn't grind anything when I was running 1 ton calipers now that I think of it. Good Luck

Ridgetopauto on here ran into the same issue with the calipers. He ran them upside down or something like that to get them to work. I know he had to bleed them out and then bolt em up and the bleeder is on the bottom.

Are you positive they are Solid and not Rockcrusher? I had some rockcrusher knuckles and RPM offroad had a whole batch that the machining on the lower king pin was off on. There were other issues that led me to eventually getting my money back and buying Solid (no issues). I had a thread on Pirate with pics.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/940761-trouble-new-knuckles.html

If you just slot the bolt holes and make it work I think you may end up with a camber problem. On mine the kingpin bore itself was not lined up properly with the top kingpin.

They are Solid brand. I had open the holes up a small amount. The one you pictured would not be usable. The bottom plate was not a issue really worth speaking of itself, but the axle shaft hitting the knuckle is IMO.

cushmaneaglerider said:
They are Solid brand. I had open the holes up a small amount. The one you pictured would not be usable. The bottom plate was not a issue really worth speaking of itself, but the axle shaft hitting the knuckle is IMO.

What did solid or the vendor u bought them from say about your issues? Perhaps there is a junk batch that got through quality control...