• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spinoff-Lets see your dinghy!

CHASMAN9 said:
Anybody got any new dinghy's out yet? Let's see them.

ADMINISTRATOR

Got me an end of summer toy. Did Patrick get to enjoy his new interior at least? I went searching for this thread then saw that he was the last to post, got me all down again. :(

ede3ac5cf13646dc9802259dad1e028a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok boat folks, I am selling the big boat and downsizing to something in the 23 - 26ft range that is easily trailerable, I don't fish so I am considering some sort of bow rider. I have never owned an I/O boat so what do I need to look for and stay away from ? Currently the Chaparral 244 with a 6.2 / Bravo III has me interested. what ya say ?

GIZMO1 said:
Ok boat folks, I am selling the big boat and downsizing to something in the 23 - 26ft range that is easily trailerable, I don't fish so I am considering some sort of bow rider. I have never owned an I/O boat so what do I need to look for and stay away from ? Currently the Chaparral 244 with a 6.2 / Bravo III has me interested. what ya say ?

Chapparal makes a nice boat, no doubt. When I was boating, I had a 190 & 240 Cobalt, the boat had no wood in the hull, all hand laid fiberglass, Kevlar reinforced. Just seem to ride better than other runabouts IMHO.

GIZMO1 said:

OK, say you've narrowed your search to two boats. Both are the same model from the same manufacturer. Both are the same price and have the same engine. The only difference is the drive. One has a Bravo One, the other, a Bravo Three, both made by Mercury. Which one do you buy?
The answer is easy: It depends. If you're looking for a boat that will break 60 mph, either as is or after you make some planned modifications, a Bravo One is the way to go. The single propeller lends itself to performance applications better than the dual propellers of the Bravo Three.
It's kind of odd, but 58 mph seems to be the typical maximum speed with the Bravo Three drive. I have heard of cases where performance upgrades did not result in a higher top speed because of the limitations of the drive package.
Also, if you plan to use your boat extensively in salt water, opt for the Bravo One. Bravo Three drives have experienced greater than normal corrosion when used extensively in salt water. There are ways to keep it at bay, but with a Bravo One, those are steps you don't have to take.
Mercury Bravo 3
The Bravo Three drive has a slightly different set of talents.
Conversely, the Bravo Three has a few advantages of its own. For example, in stock applications, midrange efficiency and control is better. A Bravo Three also can mean reduced planing and cruising speeds. What's more, if you use your boat for towing skiers, riders, or tubers, a Bravo Three drive is better for that, too. It has more bite, so the hole shot is better.
Another characteristic of the Bravo Three is higher idle speeds than a Bravo One, which can be handy for getting through no-wake zones more quickly without having to open the throttle.
Like nearly everything in life, there are pros and cons with each drive choice. Ultimately, the choice depends on how you plan to use your boat.
- Brett Becker

Just read this and makes sense to me. I wouldn't own a dual prop outdrive purely because of the two factor. Everything is dual including the maintenance and double the possible problems. I did not know about the corrosion problem and know that you are in the Salt/ Brackish water area. Just my .02

ADMINISTRATOR

I had a 235 chaparral with a ho 454( 385 hp) bravo three. It would do 65 pretty easy ( the ho would turn 5400 rpm's factory) but my problem with high idle speed is in the no wake even at idle, people would always ask you to slow down. I would have to take it in and out of gear. on a second note, that's about all the hp that that bravo three can safely handle . I wish I still had that boat.

GIZMO1 said:
Thanks guys, Good info for my search. I am still way undecided on what platform of boat I will go to

Let me know if you need some help locating what you are looking for. We've got lots up here at Lake Martin for sale.

ADMINISTRATOR

GIZMO1 said:
I am beyond ready, to hell with this cold weather.

I hear ya man. I didn't even have time to de-winterize my boat last year. Two years since the poor girl has seen water now. I think I'm slowly dying inside from the lack of lake time.

My wife stays in ft myers in the winter.........I'm going down tomorrow night for a few days.supposed to be 79 saturdayand 81 every day next week. 8)

I'm having a hard time finding a triple axle trailer for my pos 6.0 powerstroke to pull it , but idn it's pellet proof

Attachments

• 0409141200c.jpg
    0409141200c.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 133
EddieHall said:
I'm having a hard time finding a triple axle trailer for my pos 6.0 powerstroke to pull it , but idn it's pellet proof

Looks like the tug boat I helped build and live on in the Bahamas. Owner had more money than sense, but DAMN I had a great time. One of the dinghys is missing in the picture, a Maule M-7 260 sea plane. Good old days...

ADMINISTRATOR

Attachments

• DSCN0938.JPG
    DSCN0938.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 121
CHASMAN9 said:
Looks like the tug boat I helped build and live on in the Bahamas. Owner had more money than sense, but DAMN I had a great time. One of the dinghys is missing in the picture, a Maule M-7 260 sea plane. Good old days...

Is that picture taken in ft.Lauderdale

ADMINISTRATOR

Not sure as it was stripped and sold off after the owner was indicted on charges of misaprocreation of $7.7 million of corporate funds by his own son. Oops, don't piss off the CFO when it's your own kid. :eek:

ADMINISTRATOR

We bought a pontoon boat in Sept, I only got it in the water 1 time before I was gone for training for 3 months.. but looking forward to getting my dingy wet in 2018

Latest posts