• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spool vs. Detroit on race buggy????

COPPERHEAD42

Just like the post about 6.0 horsepower, Im looking for advise on lockers for my dads buggy he is building. He is building 9"'s front and rear for the buggy, rear is is ruffstuff housing with a blinged out third member with a detroit. For the front he already has ruffstuff housing and plans on buying spidertrax outers and mega high 9. Question is to spend the extra 300 bucks for the detriot or just get the spool . He will have a detroit in the rear end. He plans on having 45 degrees steering. Just wondering if the spool will kill him in the front or not? Worst thing with a detroit is from what I have read break a shaft and you break the locker. With a spool break a shaft and no big deal. This buggy like I said is going to be used for racing and general wheeling but wants it to perform as good as possible.
Thanks

You cannot beat an ARB in the rear. Seriously, my buggy is completely different with the rear open. But the 9" ARB sucks ass so not sure what to tell you there

He already has the detroit in the rear so for sure not going to change that besides arb's are great but there is just to many things that can mess upm

My .02 worth, Detroit in the rear is fine as I run the same. Either run another Detroit up front or an ARB due to the fact if you run a spool, your turning will be compromised. Both axles turning at the same speed while turning will break something for sure, at least a Detroit will let the short turn side release before breaking usually. thumb.gif

If I have another Detroit break I go to a trac-lock in a stock carrier, but if I where to do both ends I'd go with a spool in the rear and locker up front.

See that's the thing, I've heard locker in front spool in rear is better and I have also heard spool in the front and locker in rear is better.

That's the thing, I have heard locker in front spool In rear and I have also heard spool in front locker in rear.

My old single seat rig had an ARB in the rear (which was always a problem) and a spool in the front. My shafts were milled for 45* steering and turning was not an issue with rear cutting brakes. My opinion would be give the spool a shot with rear cutting brakes and if he does not like it put a detroit in later.

bigsilly said:
My old single seat rig had an ARB in the rear (which was always a problem) and a spool in the front. My shafts were milled for 45* steering and turning was not an issue with rear cutting brakes. My opinion would be give the spool a shot with rear cutting brakes and if he does not like it put a detroit in later.

Alot of guys doing this now, at CS XRRA race, Brian, Derek, Shannon and Levi all running spooled fronts and ARB in the rear. ARB sucks for breaking all the time just ask Brain, they keep a small truck load of parts on hand for them. They are nice if you never have trouble with them. Just my .02 worth. But ask Wyatt, he runs with all the Big Dogs!!! thumb.gif

I run a Detroit in my front 60 and a Spool in my rear 9". I would put a spool in the rear 9" because then you don't have to worry about it. Just my .02

If he is going to do endurance racing a spool in the rear is not a bad option, but the tight short courses like XORRA having an ARB in the rear to allow for using the cutting brakes to lock up a tire is a premium for making turns. The rigs that ran spools and even Detroits in the rear always struggled, ask Woodlee and Droopy.

Yeah Mike, we assembled quite a few parts to carry as well. We just never could keep the 9" ARB working though. I would never do an ARB again in a 9".

My $0.02

I ran a Detroit front and rear, sucked for XRRA, even with rear cutting brakes they only work so well unless you disco the rear at the atlas. That gets old engaging and disengaging the atlas at speed, trying to turn and pull the cutting brake. And you dont always get that smooth right back in feeling. I always wanted to go rear ARB for faster turns with the cutting brake. But y'all are right, XRRA is fading. Same money to beat on it for 20 minutes, vs. beat on it for 3+ hours.

I dont see anything wrong with spool in the front, and rear for the desert ****. You just need to know where your fuse is. Class1's and TT's all carry spare driveshafts (obviously thats their fuse).

****, my dream axles for bombing. 10" with gun drilled 40splines, and spools. Simple, beef, and expensive.

But if you are planning on tree wheeling (SMORR/RCQ/etc...) I'm not sure I'd want the rear spool.

I have a rear LP 9" with gundrilled 40 splines Stranges and spool in the shop right now. they are bling ****ing bling in my book. other than that, I'd have to say http://www.tubeworks.com/catalog/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=7

Spool Front
Locker Rear!!!!!

Think about it like this. In a Tractor (2 or 4wd) If you hit the dif lock for the rear you are going striaght!! Same thing applys for your rig. ARB's for the 9" suck but I THINK they are a litte better in a rear application(THINK is the key word!! :flipoff1:)

I run ARB's front and rear (dana 60's)and Love them! Unlocked I can turn around on a two lane road with not cutting brakes. Lock the front and you feel the joint phasing but it really does not effect the turning radious that much. LOCK the rear and unlock the front and it's a HUGE differance.

Spool Front
Locker Rear.

For the record, I am running spool in the front and Detroit in the rear of my KOH car, 300M shafts and CTM joints, DOM drive shafts and I'll carry a spare front and rear driveshaft, maybe I'll be sorry, I just have a hard time using a ARB, we will see, I can always change it out. Oh loller.gifyea and a BIG LS2 with some stuff that Adam and Rocky at WOD turned me on to :****:

He is going to be running superior shafts with longfield joints. Thats a pretty tough set up but not un breakable by no means.

I have had spools on both ends and I don't like it in the front. I say spool rear, detroit front. ARB is nice, but I say it cost a lot of people time in the race this weekend because it was not engaged or broken.