• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spool vs. Detroit on race buggy????

FWIW my rig that is being built is having Detroits front and rear, I was going to go spool in the rear until we looked in the 14 bolt and saw that it already had a Detroit. I personally do not want a spool in the front, it is hard on parts.

And Blase, the ARB is not good in a 9" rear application AT ALL. Ask me how I know...

bigsilly said:
And Blase, the ARB is not good in a 9" rear application AT ALL. Ask me how I know...

I stand corrected. I was thinking the ARB issue's were related to high steering angles but I have not read much on them at all!

Not to derail this thread but what are your thoughts on Detroits and breaking? I've seen a TON of broken axles that take the Detroit out. Doesn't matter what axle it's in seems like everytime the axle breaks the detroit lose's all the racthet/locking teeth. :popcorn:

Doesn't sound like any other options for the 9" other than a Detroit and a Spool after reading this.

I still say Spool front Detroit back. At least like that you can limit locker problems with the 9" axles.

From what ive read only time you have detroit problems is with shaft breakage. Hopefully running superior shafts he wont beak one. I think he is going to go detroit front and rear.

COPPERHEAD42 said:
From what ive read only time you have detroit problems is with shaft breakage. Hopefully running superior shafts he wont beak one. I think he is going to go detroit front and rear.

Broken Superior took out my Detroit.

Ive broken a superior rear shaft too. Im welded front and rear and will always have it that way, cheap and easy turning is crap but the handling is very predictable.

No way from what I have seen to avoid taking the Detroit out if you break a shaft. Just the risk I guess to not have a spool in the front. If you have ever tried to steer a rig with a spool in the front without having a selectable locker in the rear you would know what a PIA it is, not saying there are not a **** ton of rigs out there like that.

InDaShop said:
Broken Superior took out my Detroit.

True not saying they cant be broke but they are stronger then ten factory or yukon. Also he wont be running sticky's. maybe I can talk him into rcv or spidertrax axles ;D

bigsilly said:
No way from what I have seen to avoid taking the Detroit out if you break a shaft. Just the risk I guess to not have a spool in the front. If you have ever tried to steer a rig with a spool in the front without having a selectable locker in the rear you would know what a PIA it is, not saying there are not a **** ton of rigs out there like that.

:gay: That is way they have GYM's Get to lifting old man :dblthumb: I have made my mind on this build months ago, until Brian and alot of us have been talking about this verything, might run a Detroit now, we will see.

For open desert racing and KOH not having an ARB rear is fine on a race rig. For tight stuff and tree races like SMORR and RCQ ARB is super nice to have and helps a lot

bentandtwisted said:
:gay: That is way they have GYM's Get to lifting old man :dblthumb: I have made my mind on this build months ago, until Brian and alot of us have been talking about this verything, might run a Detroit now, we will see.
Yeah yeah, not everyone is a hulk like you Mike!! It's not that it is hard to steer, it just pushes the tires and decreases turning radius. I am going to run the RCV's and they do not like to see them paired with a spool.

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
The locking collar in the ARB for the 9" are junk. Spidertrax sells a 300m collar that helps but is not a real fix.

Not a fix at all, I have one on my desk being used as a paper weight right now :****: I need to stick it in an envelope and send it back for a warranty replacement.

Latest posts