• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

spring rates

jasper

I 4 linked my jeep and bought 225# front and 200# coils for the rear and made it 4 rides and they're toast. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what spring rates I should try next. Basic info. Cj7 with tbi 350, 8274, sm465, 203/205 and I also have a rear bench that I haul a couple young kids around. Any info and opinions will be greatly appreciated

What do you mean they're shot? Too soft? Broke? And what would you estimate the weight of the rig would be. Lift,
We had a heavy early bronco ran stock 3 in lift front and Ford aerostar progressive springs out back. Rode nice, flexed like crazy....L

Linked it up went to Harlan once and rush 3 times and they sagged and feel to soft, bottoms out on every bump. Figured I should go with a little stiffer coil front and rear. If that makes any sense. I have no idea what it weighs. If I can come up with scales what's the proper way to figure it out.

jasper said:
Linked it up went to Harlan once and rush 3 times and they sagged and feel to soft, bottoms out on every bump. Figured I should go with a little stiffer coil front and rear. If that makes any sense. I have no idea what it weighs. If I can come up with scales what's the proper way to figure it out.

Sounds like they just broke in.

If they can still hold your ride height, you should try valving heavier on the compression side.

Also, did your shocks lose charge? What pressure do you have in the shocks?

I'm sorry I haven't been very clear. For now I only have coil springs at each end. Not coil overs. Have some but saving for a buggy build this winter.

jasper said:
I'm sorry I haven't been very clear. For now I only have coil springs at each end. Not coil overs. Have some but saving for a buggy build this winter.

So what kind of springs are you running? Coilover type springs mounted to the frame? Or ?

Are your springs retained at both ends and getting stretched out when you flex out? That will kill a coil spring fast.

On the rear I bought 200# coils from speedway and in the front I'm running 2.5x18x225# viper springs. Both ends are attached. Had a great ride flexed like crazy on the first trip out. Then started to sag and immediately almost felt like a leaf spring ride again. I'm guessing I should try heavier coils but not sure how much more to go.

Find you some coils off of a Cherokee or that style coil. Coil over coils aren't designed to be used like that. Any shop that installs lift kits should have some old xj coils laying around that would work good for you.