• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering issues with hydroboost

zayne2427

There's only one way to find out
My buggy has hydroboost (1st hydroboost unit i have owned) with dual power steering pumps. Front and rear steer.
-Rear System stand alone.
-Front System always sounds like it has air in the system.
- I jacked up the front end, flushed the system with royal purple, cycled the wheel left and right probably 40 times with the engine off and again literally 40 more times with engine on to make sure it was completely bled.
-Has zero issues while in the air except for a full lock you can hear it a little.
-When it sits back down with pressure on it and back it out of the garage. By the time i get outside the air noise starts back up withing a few turns of the wheel....
- I completely flushed my system and put royal purple back in and it still does this.

-Thinking it may be in the orbital, fittings to small, leak in the line.
Pump doesnt make any kind of whining noise but a heavy air like noise coming from the orbital/ hydroboost location.
While driving if you let the resistance off of the wheel it goes away and the sound goes away but when you try to steer again either way it comes back.... Any ideas?

A suggestion was made that the lines may be hooked up wrong.... The buggy has been plumbed this way for approximately 6 years. Previous owner said they never noticed an issue

i will check tonight.... If it doesnt actually run through the hydroboost unit itself im pretty positive the rear steer side at least runs through the orbital. i will draw out a diagram of all the steering lines tonight

I'm trying to wrap my head around the plumbing if both are tied together with separate pumps and resi's. I would think it best for the front and rear systems to be separated. Front being the orbital and hydroboost and the rear being just the steering valve. Hydroboost are picky about the plumbing. Pump>booster>orbital>cooler>reservoir. Third small drain line from the booster to the resi unrestricted.

I'm gonna say if it were mine I'd have the rear steer and hydroboost on one pump and the front steer on the other...

Came home and traced all the hoses down. Every inch of them.... Rear steer is a complete unit supported by itself and does not run through the hydroboost
The front runs through the hydroboost. Helps when the info is correct

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
You said the buggy has been around a while. Did something change and the issue popped up after?
I've had it for 8 months but it has been going through some upgrades and a facelift so less than an hr run time on it
paradisepwoffrd said:
If the lines coming out of the hydroboost or orbital are above the resi, you can get air trapped in them and not get free.

The lines coming out of the orbital and hydroboost arw definitely higher than the reservoir. I will start with getting it higher

I see something that can be improved on but may not be the root cause. The return line goes from the orbital to the bottom reservoir or pump can. If you could add a port near the booster return on the upper reservoir it would help remove aeration/ bubbles from the fluid and not send it directly into the pump suction.

Attachments

• 20161201_195202.jpg
    20161201_195202.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20161201_195246.jpg
    20161201_195246.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 103
This line that has a hose clamp around it goes to the upper reservoir right above where you drew an arrow in your first picture.

Yes that line returns oil from the hydroboost when you release the pedal after braking. It is plumbed correctly.
The other line I was referring to was the return from the orbital to the reservoir. It also has a hose clamp on it at the orbital.

RustyC said:
Yes that line returns oil from the hydroboost when you release the pedal after braking. It is plumbed correctly.
The other line I was referring to was the return from the orbital to the reservoir. It also has a hose clamp on it at the orbital.
I see now what you are talking about. I'll raise the upper canister up tomorrow about 4" to get it above everything else and get all of the air out of the system and see if this has any effect on it. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Buggy has been down while getting some more upgrades. 4 speed Atlas installed this week and now time to get the steering situated before riding weather gets here. The noise really drives me nuts
I raised the height of the reservoir until it hits my hood and re routed some hoses so they would not be higher that the reservoir but did not fix the situation.
Here is a diagram of my hoses

I fixed my steering issues with hydroboost. It was really easy.

Step 1: Remove pile of **** hydroboost from buggy
Step 2: Throw in garbage
Step 3: Hook everything back up
Step 4: Drink a 12 pack and wonder why you ever wasted your time with hydroboost in the first place

Conclusion: **** hydroboost.