• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

stiff suspension!

BennyV

bought the 89 bobbed runner off here about a month ago and the dang thing rides like a texas log wagon! got completley stock springs in the back but some stock ones up front but its like like 6 or 7 leafs in it. i done wanna raise it any higher than it is now but improve the ride more. no room for 63 swap either, the front leafs are not arched at all just straight as can be over the axle. so im thinking TG's 3" will be to much. help and ideas? o and 3 or 4 link is to much for the budget right now. thanks

you'll have to raise it a lil bit, flat springs are gonna ride like crap anyway (for the most part)

a decent set of monotube shocks (bilstein 5100, etc) will make it a lot better than some ol blown out white shocks.

I'm already on 36s and I can't make em rub! I'm daily driving it mostly so raising it hurts me. I'll try the shock route. How would I measure what length shocks I need?

Re: Re: Re: stiff suspension!

BennyV said:
I'm already on 36s and I can't make em rub! I'm daily driving it mostly so raising it hurts me. I'll try the shock route. How would I measure what length shocks I need?

With a tape measure...

Most manufacturers have specs on the length of compressed and extended. You want the longest you can fit with out bottoming them out on up travel

If you put 3" TG spring on there it will raise it at least 4" from where it is now. Maybe more. It doubt it will ride any better either. Probably worse. There's not much you can do and still keep it low. I would rather have it low and ride a little rough than be too tall. 4runners are top heavy already, it's probably not gonna handle good being any taller.

I owned that 4runner for a few months, I actually thought it rode pretty good what little I drove it. I had 3" TG springs on the front of the tan xtra cab I had and it rode worse than your runner. It had 3"TG rears at one time and they were WAY too tall and stiff, so I swapped them for 2wd mazda springs. That's one of the softest springs you can get and it still don't ride that good. It's just hard to get the solid axle toyota's to ride anywhere near as good as an IFS on the street.

I know those front springs look thick, buck they are not that stiff. If it still has the same shocks, they were not that good. They were just some parts store cheapo brand. That might help.

How much air are you running in those tires? I always ran about 24psi on the street. If you air up to 32psi it will ride like crap no matter what you do.

You got a nice 4runner. I would have liked to kept it for a DD myself. thumb.gif

Thanks nick! I'm glad to have the privilege to own something you have drool the shocks are still junk. Getting some ideas for new ones. Tires are at 30 I'll get right on smoothing the pressure on down! I'd like to come on up some day and take a look at your rig, heard its really something

No problem man. My junk ain't anything special, but you're welcome to come out anytime. 30psi is too much for that tire on a toyota (in my opinion). I bet dropping the air a little and getting better shocks will make a big difference.

bluetoy said:
No problem man. My junk ain't anything special, but you're welcome to come out anytime. 30psi is too much for that tire on a toyota (in my opinion). I bet dropping the air a little and getting better shocks will make a big difference.

I didn't even think about tire pressure, do the "chalk" method, where you chalk the tread and air down till you get full contact (works best on good black asphalt parking lot).

My xtra cab on 35s I run 17psi front and 12psi rear.

If you have stock shackles, put some about an inch longer on, that will let the springs do work.

Greasables on all 4 corners. And by chalk method I assume you mean color all the treas roll em over, then see how much of the chalk makes contact?

BennyV said:
Greasables on all 4 corners. And by chalk method I assume you mean color all the treas roll em over, then see how much of the chalk makes contact?

Yea chalk across the tread then drive across the parking lot

Still the same ride. Tire pressure is not the problem. Front spring has 6 leafs. Shocks are good checked them the same day. I'll just ler her ride like she sits for a while. Thanks for all the help.

Alcan springs are the **** ! if they are still in business had them on the front of a 85 xtra cab best leaf springs I have ever had they will build them to your specs

Latest posts