• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stock Market

C

Cole

So with the Stock market taking a huge hit this past week and really in the past year what are your guys thoughts on it?
I was checking my statement online tonight and noticed I lost a decent amount of money (to me) in the last 30 days.
Most of my money is in Stocks and a very very small number in Bonds. I set it up around 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. I guess it's considered High Risk. My question is should I just leave it alone and not worry about it since I am in it for the long haul or should I move it into a lower risk situation? I don't really know what to do, just don't like seeing my money dissapear.
I figured there has to be some people on the board who know about the Stock Market and have suggestions.

Cole said:
So with the Stock market taking a huge hit this past week and really in the past year what are your guys thoughts on it?
I was checking my statement online tonight and noticed I lost a decent amount of money (to me) in the last 30 days.
Most of my money is in Stocks and a very very small number in Bonds. I set it up around 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. I guess it's considered High Risk. My question is should I just leave it alone and not worry about it since I am in it for the long haul or should I move it into a lower risk situation? I don't really know what to do, just don't like seeing my money dissapear.
I figured there has to be some people on the board who know about the Stock Market and have suggestions.

Wyatt is a lot more qualified to answer this but....

I'm in the same situation but I think I am going to wait it out. That is just part of buying high risk stock. I have lost a ton of money over the past year and a half but I am hoping it will go back up after the elections. That seems to be the trend.

At our age, and especially yours Cole you roll with it. You nailed it when you said long haul, that is the way to look at it. Be aggressive, over time a high risk will pay off. But look into energy stocks, oil and gas related are booming at the moment... Wonder why :flipoff1:

I figured you guys would tell me to stay in it and try and not worry about it. Hopefully it will pick back up after the election.

DavidsCJ7 said:
Wyatt is a lot more qualified to answer this but....

OMG I dont know if I should be honored, or tell you guys how it is.....
I dont know ****! I have my own opinion, and granted it is a slightly educated in this arena one, but I still dont know ****.

No seriously, I am pondering this myself.
Historically these are the best times to BUY in. Or if you are riding the down trend, double down.

But my personal take is what I'm battling with. This is different. Bank of Japan just increased their overnight rate from 0% to .25 %, ummm ok, the US is 2%.
So that's how GM & Ford can offer 0% for 66 months months. They just went and borrowed a Billion dollars from BoJ.

In these times the only people that make money are the rish. Note this everyone.....
Who would you prefer handle the dollars in the US? The Government? Or the Private Sector?
Thats what I thought, the Private sector is much more efficient and savy than the government. So if you vote for Obama, you need your head examined. You like how I made this into a political post???? HA LOL!

Cole, I dont have an answer for you. With an overnight rate of 2% Bonds aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Like everyone in the US from what I can tell we have all taken baths lately. My plan currently has been to lay off everything into foreign stocks, and funds. And hope that they lose at a slower rate of decline than the onshore ****.

Oh and I am fixing to double down huge, I think (MY OPINION & MY GAMBLE) that McCain takes the election we gain stability and all of these deals today turn profit in under 18 months. So yeah I'm gambling that the Elephants retain the White House.

Sorry, I dont know ****, I only have guess, and hunchs. Do you want me to start including you on a daily forward that I send out? Shoot me your email address, its pretty informative, even if you only read it once a week.

The #1 rule of investing: Never take investment advice from somebody that's still working for a living. ;D

As for me, my main investment is still dollar cost averaging into an S&P 500 index fund. This is the other stuff I play around with:

DELL: Don't ask me why I haven't sold this POS.
FDX: It's done very well for me, about a 400% gain.
PLCE: It's been beat up lately but I've still done better than 200% and I have faith in the management despite the disney store crap.
SPY: S&P 500 spider
HDB: Financial stock in India that's doubled for me. Mostly a diversity play.
XLF: US Financial spider. I bought it at 24 when the sector was badly beat up. It's sank a bit more since then but I when the economy turns around I think it's poised for big gains.

If you're interested in the market I'd just put together something diversified and ride with it. If you're not just dollar cost average into an S&P 500 fund (or something else broad and indexed.) One of the worst ideas is to hold individual stocks and not pay attention to them. That's followed by buying a mutual fund that did well last year and has been marketed as "aggressive" and not paying attention to it. Also, don't forget rule #1. ;D

If it was a market of buy high, sell low, I would win. I say leave it and ride it out, that way, we can at least cry together.

John Galbreath Jr. said:
If it was a market of buy high, sell low, I would win. I say leave it and ride it out, that way, we can at least cry together.

laughing1 Quit tryin to drag the young man down John !

Wyatt, you hit me with your fancy daily email way back and stopped bastard...

set me up on that again [email protected] Im not very savvy at all, but education of any kind is better than being blind. thumb.gif

My only advice is to buy stocks of good companies you feel are undervalued and will bounce bet. Warren Buffett made his fortune this way, it is pretty obvious why it works. Stocks in the financial sector are taking a beating because of the economy and mortgage collapse, it is a perfect time to buy! An example is regions, last year trading at $30/share now down to $11. Solid company, solid financials, will buy another bank down the road and the stock will soar.

vanguard said:
The #1 rule of investing: Never take investment advice from somebody that's still working for a living. ;D
I'm going to use that line. I love it! So true.

I spent 45 minutes yesterday talking to this old immigrant dude about the state of our country and the dollar and what not. He came over to check out the buggy at the car wash.....

Turns out he was the carwash owner, and he also owns 15 of those Jiffy Lube places. Very radical views, but even so they all still boiled back to reality nicely. His advice, or what he's been doing is buying real estate. He said he's bought 10 homes since the 1st of the year.

His advice, or what he's been doing is buying real estate. He said he's bought 10 homes since the 1st of the year.
I have said that in the past.
For my daughter we take all birthday money and what ever small cash we aquire and put it in an account for her. We also have a six month CD. So every six months we put all the money in her savings account into the CD. We've been doing that for about 3 years and it's amazing how much its groan. If we keep it up she'll be prettty well off by her 30's.
Real estate is where the real money is. Most politicians have made their money in real estate. Hell the Clintons got rich off real estate.

InDaShop said:
I'm going to use that line. I love it! So true.

I spent 45 minutes yesterday talking to this old immigrant dude about the state of our country and the dollar and what not. He came over to check out the buggy at the car wash.....

Turns out he was the carwash owner, and he also owns 15 of those Jiffy Lube places. Very radical views, but even so they all still boiled back to reality nicely. His advice, or what he's been doing is buying real estate. He said he's bought 10 homes since the 1st of the year.
damn its tough to get into real estate. with values blowing up around here its hard to get farm ground for 4K an acre. I'm sitting on millions (no, right now, at my dad's house, millions I'm currently typing with under my ass) but its not worth anything unless you sell it. it was my great great grandpas. we are buying a house, and hope to buy more. I don't want to be a slum lord, would rather develop. we'll see. until then I'll just work like a ninja every day and hope for the best.
cole. ride that **** out. unless you pay attention to it and they are all weak companies, worry. if not, it'll bounce back. why look at just the current value. look at what matt said, $30 to $11 in a year? feels bad at teh time, but will feel good in 3 years when you're back and you chalk this up to a setback.

wyatt, put me on the list.

I don't really control what goes on with it, it's all handled through Vanguard. I just determine how much I put in each fund. I have it split between 5 or 6 funds right now.
Yeah Wyatt hit me up on that list. [email protected]

I have a long time close friend that works for Vangaurd in Charlotte. I occaisonaly invite her over and let her do her thing with my stocks. I don't even look at that stuff, I'm a little high strung as it is. She's been working there for a while now and by the way she has moved through the company she's obviously good at what she does. If you ever want to chat with her I can give you her desk #.