• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Street legal RZR in Alabama?

ibrokeit

Brock Higdon- Auburn, AL
I have been tossing around the idea of selling my crawlers and buying a rzr. One thing that would really encourage me to do this is getting it registered to drive on the street. I know people are getting LSV tags for them but keeping it on roads under 35mph would really limit it. I know of ONE rzr that was sucessfully titled and taged in Alabama but dude would spill his secret. Anybody heard of anything?

Post 6 here

http://www.rzrforums.net/southeast-u-s/50943-anyone-street-legal-alabama.html

And when he sold it on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649&item=261053798801&sspagename=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT

Why wouldn't it be easy to register? You need DOT tires (baby swampers), a windsheild, horn, headlights and blinkers, muffler and cat, and that's about it... I don't see why it's be a problem

muddinmetal said:
Why wouldn't it be easy to register? You need DOT tires (baby swampers), a windsheild, horn, headlights and blinkers, muffler and cat, and that's about it... I don't see why it's be a problem

No blinkers needed. Gotta have a rearview mirror. Biggest problem is that you have to have a title to register it. You can get a Low Speed Vehicle tag without a title, but you must stay on roads with a speed limit under 35mph.

Also, if it matters, I live in Auburn (Lee County) but could register it in Lee, Marshall or Etowah.

smurfy90 said:
Put a orange triangle on the back and go anywhere you want.

Under 35mph, within 25 miles of registered address, from what I understand....

I did find this from someone in GA. $86 for an Arizona Plate. 2 guys did the 4800 mile Eastern TransAmerican Trail on their rzr's.

"I never went to the tag office, I hired a title service company in AZ. Call Robin Pendergrtaft 1-623-581-8281 ext 12 with Sierra Title Service. She will email you the paper work, you fill it out, get it notarized, mail it back to her with a check and she gets the tag for you. There is no inspections or requirements. You have to have insurance and give her a AZ address. The address is never verified and is only used to put in the DMV data base. She will mail you the tag where ever you want it. It took about 10 days. "

http://www.southeastsxs.com/technical-discussion/1651-got-my-tag-today.html

if you have the title of origin givin to the original owner you can take it down there and get one. thats how they get dirtbikes tags

I tried to get my XR650 tagged. Tried every loop i could find and talked to all my police budddys. If the original title sais for offroad use only you are screwed in Al

blacksheep10 said:
this is the deal in KS. Here it is legal to ride on any county roads, just no state highways, and not in towns that have ordinances against them. Everybody we know rides them all over. Cash Talks rides his to work

I'd love to be able to ride to work. Its only a few miles. At this point, im just curious on the legalities of driving one in Alabama with Arizona plates. Called Lee Co Sheriffs office and they directed me to State Troopers office. Called them and she said I would need to speak with a supervisor who wasn't in.

I bet $20 I could waltz right on into the Marshall Co. DMV and sweet talk one of those overweight honeys into a street legal title and some lovin' in no time flat

you dont tell them its a rzr. i think the term was special use truck. have rearview and drivers side mirror and a couple other items. its not a huge deal, but never ever mention that its a rzr.

I got a $100 bill for you if you can. I even know a dude that works in the DMV. And you love you some dudes.

You may know him. Clay Mitchell.

offroadr1 said:
you dont tell them its a rzr. i think the term was special use truck. have rearview and drivers side mirror and a couple other items. its not a huge deal, but never ever mention that its a rzr.

Please excuse my dumb self but can you break it down for me. What did you carry in there? What state you in? Did they inspect your rzr?

ibrokeit said:
Please excuse my dumb self but can you break it down for me. What did you carry in there? What state you in? Did they inspect your rzr?

I'm with him, just walk in with your "vin" and say I've finally got this thing street legal and need to get a tag...that's it. If anything else is said, I'd answer with, "it's like a dune buggy" . Keep trying til someone does it

Its not that simple. I promise. From what I understand, they have to send a sheriff out to your house to inspect the vehicle. They arent stupid.