• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Super Duty Knuckles

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
What is the difference in the 04 and 05 knuckles? I'm seeing tons of weld on steering kits for 05+ but mines an 04.

I hate to be that guy but I can because I have a 99-04 D60 as well. They just don't compare to an 05 up axle. The unit bearing are the worse part. they require machine work to fit a 35 spline outer shaft. The buggy in the pic uses 99-04 outers on a 9" center. 38 sx's full of water. They are holding up but I foresee me building a new housing and using 05 outers. The cost of donor axles in great and bolt on parts without machine work is worth the work.
As far a steering. I made my own high steer arms and tied them into the factory arm. Bolted and welded. It's working well. I've got pics buried in a build thread somewhere I will try to dig them up.

Here you go.
Buggy steer.png

Has anyone heard of this one, looks like the JHF with more gusseting. https://www.offroadanonymous.com/product/weld-on-high-steer-arm-kit/

I saw somewhere on Facebook recently where a guy had some similar to those ORA ones and his long gusset weld kept cracking.

Apparently the JHF style doesn't have a tendency to crack because there's isn't a long weld heating a thick and thin area of the knuckle and cooling at different rates.

I built some similar but not nearly as substantial as the ORA style and mine are hair line cracked. With mine, I bored the knuckle hole out to 1" and ran a 1" piece of DOM through it and gusseted that In single sheer. It's held up, but I need to grind the weld out and see if it cracks again.

Latest posts