• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Superwinch troubleshooting

y2knole

Ive got a superwinch talon 9500. long story short, I won an exp, the exp **** the bed... because that line was canceled and the company sold, the new ownership sent me a talon 9500 as a replacement.

I installed it, spooled the line and first time out, it was dead. no click, no nothing. They sent me a new contactor, replaced that and still nothing. They sent me a THIRD free superwinch and I sold that because by this point im F'in DONE with superwinch.

The first free replacement has been sitting in a corner of the garage and i started wondering why it worked and then suddenly doenst...

any idea on where to start with this mess?
1648738864301.png

I had a super winch on my buggy and the break on it died. even trying to just suck the front down it would slip. so i called them and they told me they would sell me a rebuild kit but it was like $20 less than a new winch from harbor freight.

I want tot cut a warn 9000 down and mount on my buggy just havent had time.

I had a super winch on my buggy and the break on it died. even trying to just suck the front down it would slip. so i called them and they told me they would sell me a rebuild kit but it was like $20 less than a new winch from harbor freight.

I want tot cut a warn 9000 down and mount on my buggy just havent had time.
if you havent tossed it, maybe worth calling again. They were bought by westin a year or so ago. their service was really helpful... i won a winch, they replaced it under warranty, that died, they sent me parts and when that didnt work ANOTHER winch... and ive got the two that didnt work still laying around. one was making grinding gear noises when winching out under load. the other one has some kinda electrical gremlin im too dumb to figure out :D
They were really helpful though so at least theres something good to say...

You should be able to hook a jump box to it direct or a battery with jumpers to see if the motor is still good. If it is then it's likely the control box or a bad wire to the motor inside

You should be able to hook a jump box to it direct or a battery with jumpers to see if the motor is still good. If it is then it's likely the control box or a bad wire to the motor inside
ya confident the motor is ok. theres something wonky going on in that mess of wires and relays that i havent been able to get to the bottom of.

Spent some time with a multimeter today and some back and forth messages with a buddy who does control systems for cranes and hoists and knows his ****... still didnt get it totally figured out...

if you're confident the motor is ok, then the control inputs will just be a 12v signal to one wire or another for in/out.

It may just be a **** chinesium connector to the controller or the **** controller itself. That is usually what goes wrong on cheap winches.

I'd probe the wires to the connector to see what's what (if it's not labeled or obvious, which it usually is), then jumper the in/out signals directly at the relay box.

Should be plenty easy to hard wire the motor to the battery.

Put a jumper between A to F1, ground the case and +12V to the F2 pole, it should go one way
Put a jumper between A to F2, ground the case and +12V to the F1 pole, it should go the other way

If that's good, get a new albright solenoid and you're set.

throw it away and buy a warn

Call me before you throw it away, I'll give it a good home :)