• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Swaybars...better in the front or rear ?

rugger99

I will be running a sway bar (likely going with a TK1) on the Jeep. Specs are -95 YJ with 14"coilovers, 3 link front,4 link rear, 38 SX , custom Toyota axles and a 2.5L / Auto. Front coilovers are 80/175 and the rears are 80/85. Rig should weigh in around 2900 - 3100. Coilover springs are what Ryan@Accutune suggested based on the valving he did on my coilovers. Wheel base is 103" and the width from outside tire to outside tire is 81". In the rear I have way more room which gives me some flexibility in regards to where I put the sway bar. In the front I am limited. My last rig I ran one in the front only but it did not see any street time but this one will. Who here is only running one sway bar and is it in the front or rear and how has it performed ?

I run a single currie bar on the rear end of my buggy. It has worked well for me for a long time. I like the rear bar.

I feel like this is one of those questions that everyone will have their own opinion but no one can prove which is "better" b/c it's an opinion based deal.

May i suggest anything but a TK1 sway bar? I broke or have stripped 2 of them and seen several others with issues. Just my 2 cents.

As far as location. Front certainly helps. In a perfect world you would have one on both front and rear. Most people just dont have the space for one. Otherwise you will probably run a stiffer bar in the back and be alright.

Call Scott at Sunfire, He sells a 35 spline 1.5" kit very reasonably. That way you can turn it down to whatever diameter you need for your shocks etc.

Stole it from the net:

"To put it simply, if you drive an all wheel drive car that understeers, install a stiffer rear sway bar. If you drive an all wheel drive car that oversteers, install a stiffer front sway bar. All wheel drive vehicles all handle a little bit differently, this means that choosing the right combination of sway bars will depend on how your specific vehicle behaves. "

"Call Scott at Sunfire, He sells a 35 spline 1.5" kit very reasonably. That way you can turn it down to whatever diameter you need for your shocks etc."

Do you have a contact number for him or does he have a website?

Yes his website is Sunfire off road, he will be able to help you with placement on the rig and also what size arms, bar, etc. Plus he will be able to tell you the pros, and cons of running a front sway bar