• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

T.K.'s Tear Down, Build Up Thread

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
This content was on another site, so I am copying it over so that we don't lose it down the road. Ricky B posted most of this originally, so I will copy and paste his work:

The plan is to build a new Jeep from the ground up using parts off T.K.'s CJ5. This meant the old '5 had to be torn apart.

The specs on the new Jeep will be:
YJ frame, tub, hood and grille, ZJ 4.0, 727 auto, Dana 300, 60s F/R, 39.5 TSLs/Boggers on 'locks, leafs F/R - rears are chevy mains with YJs, fronts are modded ORC packs, 112" Wheelbase.

The tear down begins...

The build up began...

The next step is to get suspention and axles under the YJ frame. Easier said than done.

Got it sitting on tires! It is now a "Rolling Chassis!" Does't flex very well yet, though.

After a long time of not being about to work on it there was finally some progress made! T.K. has been building the motor and trans at his shop for a while and we were able to drop it in last night!

Making motor mounts is alot more difficult than you would think it is...

:drinkers: :drinkers:Motor mounts are completely welded and done.

Trans mount is done.

Jeep is gone to get wired!

Well as you know the Jeep did not make it to the FFA. Thursday night before the FFA we got everything done, tightened bolts, topped off fluids, cranked it up, put it in gear annnnnnd... nothing. Trans wouldn't pull. I can't remember what the issue was exactly but it wasn't a quick fix.

Here are the progress pics as of Thursday before the FFA:

TK got the transmission back today and tonight we bolted it in. Put it in gear annnnnnd..... IT PULLS! Now it's off to the exhaust shop, then a bit more fab is left to do (skids, winch plates, rockers, slider) and then get all the little things done. Lights, radio, CB, etc. It's only a matter of time now!

Little clip just for fun...

http://www.grayrockorv.com/Videos/TkJeep.wmv

Thought I'd post up a pic of it in the day light! This is pretty much the only pic I took during the "test" run of TK's jeep at the Toys For Tots ride. It did very well, there was an overheating issue, but it shouldn't be too hard to track down the problem(s).

dsc02976.gif

Well, the rig is pretty much finished. TK wheeled it hard this past weekend and it did very well!

DSC02936.gif

DSC02964.gif

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Stretched the frame with 2x4" tube to get the springs on it?

I dig it, but he should have mounted that Crev-ASS bar out on the end. Looks like what the St. Louis arch would look like if it was built on the east side of the river. All ghetto with a gangsta' lean. ;D

wyatt those shocks look damn near exactly like the ones i have for the jeep. BamaTJ anyway you could find out the height from perch to perch on the front end and then relay back to me which shock/size it is. i have 23.5 inches between the mounts and my shocks(ranch0 5000) are 19 -30 inch and wyatt thinks they dont have enough down travel. :spin:

do you happen to know the length compressed to fully extended, the boys at 4w parts tend to act dumb as **** when it comes to puttin any effort into looking up stuff unless youre buyin a 6 in lift kit for an f250 true idiots