• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Taking a trip to Moab UT in July

Mattman347

The 7.3L Powerstroke guy
We are taking a trip of a lifetime to Moab UT June 28th-however long it takes and will be going through Colorado on I70. Will be towing the hauler with my 97 7.3l. Does anyone know of a good place to camp and be able to wheel along the way? Im fully self contained so does not have to be anything special. We found a ton of state campgrounds but the hauler is 40ft so we have to pick carefully! Would be sweet to find a place to camp and take the rig up the road to some good Offroad trails! Thought i would ask on here and see if there are any good suggestions. Thanks!
38ebcb3eddb69c28d7e0c8f48fec7851.jpg

d663ff34594139282005e309eab088aa.jpg

645ecb8f9c3c3b727b7d1eec192d169a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning the same trip eventually. So i'm interested to see what everyone says. Good luck with the trip!

If you run the 1day 9min route you've got Hot Springs, then Clayton OK, then the Canadian river park with some good technical stuff in the panhandle of Texas, then Raton NM then a couple of stops through Colorado

Your 22hr trip I have no clue what to tell you

Heck its hot here in July! lol More of a moist heat though... The reason for the trip through Colorado is the wife is flying in to Denver on Monday the 2nd and I am picking her up there. I use to vacation with my parents in Colorado during the month of August and it was a great time! The mountain passes and switchback look like they might be a little fun to navigate with the hauler so trying to plan ahead as much as possible. Right now its looking like Guanalla Pass Campground is a good choice but the reservations for the longer site are labeled as "walk up" .

blacksheep10 said:
Moab in July. ouch. I went for a day 2 years ago and wow. It really is 100 out there. It's a dry heat laughing1
We were about 2 hours north of there for the first two weeks of July last year. It was stupid hot. 105+ the whole time.

We go to CO most years in July, only time we camped was around Gunnison, we take the south route typically (hwy 50/Monarch pass)
I don't have much trail advice for the North route. All of it is cool though. Last year we stayed in Buena Vista and ran a lot of trails around there. Birds eye gulch was cool by Leadville. Not worth deviating from the highway that far for. Get to Moab.

It's a boring trip till you get to Colorado on I-70. We went to EJS couple times and I would love to go to Colorado for trail riding. Beautiful area.

I've got nothing on places to go on the way there but Moab is awesome! Enjoy it! Good luck with the heat though, the rocks are gonna be like a stove top and there is no relief from the sun on many of the trails. It's wide open so take plenty of water and maybe a canopy to pop up for lunch breaks

Montrose canyon in Colorado is fun, lots of wheeling in that area. New Mexico is rock crawler heaven just pull off side freeway and go lol! I'd detour to Las cruses best rock crawling in North America imo. I'd hit sand hollow if you can pull that off.. moab is so jeepled out.

Thanks for all the heat advice guys, going to pack a pop up for sure now. Trying to find a good place to camp between Denver and winter park off i 70 or somewhere close so i can easily go back and pick the wife up at the airport

It's a beautiful drive except Kansas. I wanted to yank what little hair I have out. There is absolutely nothing from Junction City to the CO border except wind turbines. There was a hail storm when we went through and you were stuck in it. No overpasses or even trees and the wind is crazy. Took the lower route on the way home. Next time I'm hoping to drag the jeep along, last time was to visit family and friends.

Going thru the pass was rough on the truck had no power at High altitudes and the 7% grade rough on brakes we went back the south route and it was smooth going

POR said:
Montrose canyon in Colorado is fun, lots of wheeling in that area. New Mexico is rock crawler heaven just pull off side freeway and go lol! I'd detour to Las cruses best rock crawling in North America imo. I'd hit sand hollow if you can pull that off.. moab is so jeepled out.

Sand Hollow looks awesome from what pictures I have seen of it. That is on my list of places to go.

Honestly I wasn't real impressed with Las Cruces. It was good but not really a trip I would go out of my way for. There is no doubt it has the rocks!

j-mox said:
Sand Hollow looks awesome from what pictures I have seen of it. That is on my list of places to go.

Honestly I wasn't real impressed with Las Cruces. It was good but not really a trip I would go out of my way for. There is no doubt it has the rocks!

What was not impressive about Las cruses? Trail wheeling not that great? The rock stuff we did was awesome! If you didn't like the rock crawling and your more of a trail guy then sand hollow won't be that impressive either.. unless you hit the outer stuff and headed for the grand canyon, that's pretty scenic I hear.

A good trail to hit in July is Holy Cross city trail in Colorado. It is just outside of Minturn. There are several nice places to camp close to the trail head. Moab will be hot in July but you will still have a good time.

tubehead said:
A good trail to hit in July is Holy Cross city trail in Colorado. It is just outside of Minturn. There are several nice places to camp close to the trail head. Moab will be hot in July but you will still have a good time.
I looked this trail up and looks like a good one for sure! Getting some parking info and I'll try to make it over there! Thanks!!!

July, go to Colorado. Cool temps and shade. I pity the fool baking in Moab on those rocks in July. Moab = Mar/Apr or Oct/Nov

We were jeepin in Silverton in early August one year and just drove over to see Moab and Arches Nat Park. OMG, it was like walking into an oven.

Well with a daughter that is on school it limits the window for us to make the trip. I know it's going to be hot but we will live

Latest posts