• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Talk some sense into me.

Toddy

I got it in my head that I want to build a TJ. Just want a frame and tub. I think it might be alittle easier and cheaper to do then a full on buggy. Am I right or will I get pissed half way through and just tube it all out?

I have had the parts laying around too long and it is time to **** or get off the pot. I bought 200' of DOM last June. Time to go.

I also taked to Jim about a chassis. If I didnt have $1000 tied up in tubing that is what I would do but.

Parts list.
Ford HP 60 front
Rear spider housing or might just go 14B
5.3 350 Atlas 4.3
Winches front and rear
2 buckets and a bench
Alot of other little stuff

So what to do?
Find a TJ
Start bending
Have Jim build me a chassis

I am ready just want to make sure I get started in the right direction.

Toddy

Sell the tubing and have Jim build you a chassis. Hell, ask Jim to use your tubing and cut you a deal. His **** is fawesome and proven. :dblthumb: I want his 1st 4-seater (but I need one hell of a deal :flipoff1:), or has he already built a 4-seater?

I am in the same situation, I want a new/smaller 4-seater buggy. I have a shop, bender, notcher, and all of the other stuff, but I just want to get it all switched over from my current chassis and start wheeling right away.

Both have pros and cons
I have a CJ
Pros
can put a top on in rainy weather
has heat in the winter

Cons
Hard to get to stuff to work on from time to time
Have to really watch to try and not beat up the sheetmetal
When you put it on the lid tears all kinds of **** up (In our sport it is not a question if you will it is a question when you will)
Can't be built as safe as a buggy in my opinion

In my opinion if I was starting from scratch no way I would build a body rig. Other then the chassis cost it would not cost anymore to build a buggy over a TJ

I agree with the above 100% - I have more money in my jeep than anyone would ever believe. This new motor deal has really depressed me.

If I would have just done all this form the start in a buggy I would be at same money if not less with much more of a rig :dblthumb:

Buggy... You can get lower center of gravity easier, no body panels and everything is modified to your liking.

I'm not against you using a tub, you can then have some amenities built in like heat and even AC if you want it. I AM against you using that frame. Its kind of in the way for most of what you want to do. After you cut/notch/replate/hack the frame so its usable, you have more time than just making some runners. Frames are easy.
I Hate jeeps, but think it would be cool to do a tub and tube frame from there.

Really depends on use IMO. If you need a small backseat area and just want it for trail wheelin and cruisin a jeep is not bad. TJ frames are good, just backhalf it and keep all the amenities. If you are not going to compete or wheel super hard I don't see the need for the buggy, plus I don't really dig 4 seat buggies. I will probably sell my buggy once my boy is older so we can have a family rig that is streetable. I think just buying the tub and frame and good JY parts the build can be pretty low budget. Then again, I really want to see how light and capable I could build a TJ. I think if you start with a goal of capable and light weight from the start you can pull it off.

If you go buggy, just give Jim your tube and have him build a chassis.

Matt O. said:
Really depends on use IMO. If you need a small backseat area and just want it for trail wheelin and cruisin a jeep is not bad. TJ frames are good, just backhalf it and keep all the amenities. If you are not going to compete or wheel super hard I don't see the need for the buggy, plus I don't really dig 4 seat buggies. I will probably sell my buggy once my boy is older so we can have a family rig that is streetable. I think just buying the tub and frame and good JY parts the build can be pretty low budget. Then again, I really want to see how light and capable I could build a TJ. I think if you start with a goal of capable and light weight from the start you can pull it off.

If you go buggy, just give Jim your tube and have him build a chassis.
We are in agreement on the jeep tub thing, but differ on the frame. By the time you back half it, you are already bending. Your uptravel and link placement in the front is hard as hell with the stock frame in the way, and running a diff engine/tranny/tcase, why keep it. Bending a tube frame is the easiest part of the tubework imo. I came to really dislike the frame on the last jeep I did and wished repeatedly I had ditched it.

blacksheep10 said:
We are in agreement on the jeep tub thing, but differ on the frame. By the time you back half it, you are already bending. Your uptravel and link placement in the front is hard as hell with the stock frame in the way, and running a diff engine/tranny/tcase, why keep it. Bending a tube frame is the easiest part of the tubework imo. I came to really dislike the frame on the last jeep I did and wished repeatedly I had ditched it.

You are right Kelly, a tube frame with a Jeep tub on top is pimp. I would love to have something similar to the CE TJ for Walker Evans. That is my dream trail rig, love it and you could make it bigger with a bench in the back easy. Like I said for me it depends on how you want to use it.

My old jeep was very close to stock and worked well, my buggy woks better but not by leaps and bounds. It is harder to tear up a buggy in a roll, but they still get messed up and for me the body is a PAIN. My body panels are a goofy width (51.5") so stock does not work and all the aftermarket is 48". That means a hood, cowl and grill are a **** TON of work to make new.

You know I went the modified jeep route for years. With that said, take your tubing to Jim and tell him to get to work. If you have .120 wall tubing, I'd recommend stepping up to atleast .188 for some of the chassis. Hell my .188 rockers already have some dents, should've built those .250. :eek:

i wish time and time again i would of had EOR just build me a chassis. like has been stated that my yj had already been backhaved when i bought it, and everything i went to do i have had to deal with the frame being in the way i had to do some major cutting for everything to clear the axle so it would not look like a :puke: TTC rig. so i would go with a buggy over useing a jeep i believe i would be money and i know time ahead

Just call up Jim. You won't regret it.

Travis said:
Hell my .188 rockers already have some dents, should've built those .250. :eek:

Damn son what are you doing in that thing. I have beat my buggy pretty good and my rockers are holding strong, no dents yet.

Cole said:
Just call up Jim. You won't regret it.

Damn son what are you doing in that thing. I have beat my buggy pretty good and my rockers are holding strong, no dents yet.

Drives by braille......

Agree with most all thats been said.... A stock frame sucks in any application were your trying to maximize suspension performance and get steering up high PERIOD.

Jeep idea is gone. Would be cool but the money can be spent on better stuff then sheet metal that will get bent all to hell. Gonna start bending next week.

Toddy

Latest posts