• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tankless water heater

Eddyj

I spend a lot of time in an RV. My water heater done blowd up.
I'm trying to find a decent 3.5-5 Gpm propane water heater to replace it. Anyone have any experience with them?
I've looked in a couple RV forums it seems to be the way to go. Just thought someone might have some insight.

Sounds like a good route. I am considering one in my home when needed. Given I have a gas water heater now.

I've had one in my house for several years now and love it. Never run out of hot water. Even if we use hot water from multiple outlets. Temp may fluctuate as you turn water on, but it adjusts fairly quick.

wimpykid said:
I've had one in my house for several years now and love it. Never run out of hot water. Even if we use hot water from multiple outlets. Temp may fluctuate as you turn water on, but it adjusts fairly quick.

And if you plug it into an "UPS- Uninterruptible power supply, same as computer" it will keep working even if the power goes out. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

I have one in my enclosed trailer and while I do like it much better than a traditional tank, it takes some getting used to. Mine is a cheaper unit, Girard I think, and it only works at one temperature basically. You have to manually set the knob to the desired temperature, which means you have to play with the water a little before you use it.
From what I've read, this one, https://precisiontemp.com/products/rv-550/ is what I would need in order to get a unit that will adjust the temperature through the faucet like a house does.

That comment has me confused... not hard to do.
How does adding cold water at the faucet not change the temp to your desired temp?
Seems like it wouldn't matter where hot water is coming from.

Eddyj said:
That comment has me confused... not hard to do.
How does adding cold water at the faucet not change the temp to your desired temp?
Seems like it wouldn't matter where hot water is coming from.

Edit: My explanation was terrible. Here's a cut and paste from the manual on how it works.

To operate, first set the Power Switch to the ON position and set the Mode Switch to AUTO, then FULLY open the HOT Water Faucet by turning the faucet knob counter clockwise; the water will begin to heat up once the water in the piping has been purged. DO NOT TURN ON THE COLD WATER. Then DECREASE the flow of the water (turn the faucet knob clockwise) until you achieve the desired temperature. The hot water valve behaves very much like a typical mixing valve: it INCREASES the temperature when the water flow is REDUCED. To DECREASE THE WATER TEMPERATURE (i.e., make the water cooler), increase the flow of the water by turning the faucet knob counter clockwise thereby increasing the flow. DO NOT USE COLD WATER TO ADJUST THE TEMPERATURE.

I'm in a tight spot. Got the two kiddos and wifey in the RV I can't get an apartment size heater for propane anywhere within 200 miles. Stores all have to order them which is 2 weeks. So I'm going with an RV specific tankless unit. Long story short, I'm paying $800 for a $250 water heater.

So i just got out of a 15 min shower. This thing is a life changer. My rv has multihead shower and I can actually enjoy it now.
What 1tontj said is spot on. The unit has to adjust how fast it is heating the water according to the rate at which it is flowing through the heater, remember there is no tank. So it takes 10 seconds for the unit to adjust to the desired temp. Mine has a remote but as a family we have agreed on 112 to be perfect.

Originally I wanted electric but I'm so glad I went with propane. I've had this 3 weeks and been taking stupid long showers and only went through a half of a 20lb Walmart exchange tank. I have 2 40lb for the trailer but stuck a half empty 20lb to test it out, and it's still in there. I would go as far to say I might do a propane home unit if mine goes out at home. It would be cool to have hot water if the power goes out.

Eddyj said:
So i just got out of a 15 min shower. This thing is a life changer. My rv has multihead shower and I can actually enjoy it now.
What 1tontj said is spot on. The unit has to adjust how fast it is heating the water according to the rate at which it is flowing through the heater, remember there is no tank. So it takes 10 seconds for the unit to adjust to the desired temp. Mine has a remote but as a family we have agreed on 112 to be perfect.

Originally I wanted electric but I'm so glad I went with propane. I've had this 3 weeks and been taking stupid long showers and only went through a half of a 20lb Walmart exchange tank. I have 2 40lb for the trailer but stuck a half empty 20lb to test it out, and it's still in there. I would go as far to say I might do a propane home unit if mine goes out at home. It would be cool to have hot water if the power goes out.

Awesome! Good info. Definitely be thinking about swapping mine out now. Thanks!

So do these tankless heaters need electricity to work? I ask because I've currently got a gas hot water heater and still have hot showers when the power is out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's a Girard model GSWH-2.
It is made specifically for RVs ( which means it cost twice what it should )
It uses 12v to ignite the propane. I don't know about the home units.

Latest posts